Revision TKR Partial Revision Failure

It sounds like you are on top of this part of your healthcare. Glad to hear you're not at a point where you must take one of the drugs advertised to build bone. They can have some rather nasty side effects, even though the ads you see on television make it seem like all rainbows and ponies.
 
@Jamie, I took Prolia ONE time on March 6, 2023. Then, I learned about the horrible rebound effect it has on the bones. You must always follow it up with another drug forever to prevent the bone loss happening again! I was 10 months out from taking Prolia when I fell. I'm sure the rebound effect contributed to my fractures.
 
Wow…..that’s really sad….and scary that you feel just one dose had this type of effect. I’ve never known anyone who took any of those drugs. I’m assuming this type of thing doesn’t happen to everyone. I know Jo always was very, very negative about them.
 
Prolia is 6 month injection. If you miss two weeks worth, it can set you up for fractures, especially in the spine area/femur area. I thought I had escaped the rebound effect....I was 4 months out of the time I needed another injection. My endocrinologist reassured me that one injection would not cause this. NOWHERE in the literature does it say you will be safe to stop with just one dose/injection. You must always follow it up with another osteoporosis drug, ex Fosamax.
 
Oh my…..I was unaware of this. So that means if you take the Prolia injection (even just one), when you stop you must take another drug like Fosamax forever?
 
That is why it is called "the Prolia trap". Maybe, not forever, but once you stop the rebound effect...it is important to take something to prevent the loss of bone that you gain. That is why I am doing bioidentical hormones and Vit. D plus Calcium.They have bone markers that need to be checked to see if you are losing bone. It's a very complex process.That is why I am concerned if I have a ITT non-union.
 
All this makes sense to me. I’m assuming that you’ve discussed all this history with your doctors. It definitely adds some complexity to your situation. Please continue to let us know how things go. Your story is a very important one for others to hear.
 
Hello Everyone! Just checking in...it has been forever since I posted an update. I think, I have forgotten how to do it! A lot to share but will have to fill everyone in as time permits.
Both my knees are bad!!! My right knee now has "severe arthritis" and hurts! My revised left knee hurts and finally was diagnosed "metal on metal".

I am not having any more surgeries!!!!!!
I am waiting to have Medicare approve a Synvisc One injection for my R knee. A cortisone injection on June 13th, only lasted a few days. It hurts to walk.
Cementless
 
Hi Cementless, Nice to hear from you!
Thanks for stopping by with an update. I am sorry to read you're dealing with two bad knees. That has to make life very uncomfortable. Sorry for the metal on metal diagnosis also. I hope you were made aware of the potential risks of keeping a metal on metal implant. If not please educate yourself to avoid any possible complications. If you're not aware, there are surgeons who specialize in metal on metal revisions.

We're thankful you're a part of the BoneSmart community! Recently we shifted to a subscription model and we're encouraging members to take their experience here to the next level. For an enhanced experience here, we'd like to encourage you to join the Insiders Club which allows special perks above the basics, making the most of what BoneSmart has to offer. If you're interested, we'd love to have you join us.

Upgrading not only unlocks full access to all forum features, but also provides valuable services like assistance with locating a surgeon, helpful downloads, and entry to the BoneSmart Library filled with videos and in depth articles to support you on your joint replacement journey. Please join us!

Here is a link to check out basic membership vs Insider Club membership - Become an Insider

I hope you have a nice weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Cementless
 
So sorry to hear of your continuing knee problems. What exactly do they mean by a “metal on metal” diagnosis on your left TKR knee? Does that mean your plastic spacer is no longer viable?
 
@Jamie, I'm not really sure if it really is "metal on metal". The orthopedic surgeon that repaired my broken hip/femur in 2023, said that...sorta with a question mark. All I know, is it hurts more than ever to walk on it for long periods of a time, ex: going to the grocery store, etc. My right knee has developed "severe arthritis" compensating for the
left knee. I am finding it difficult to walk these days but I must!
My orthopedic surgeon took an unusual x-ray of my left knee that showed what he is concerned about. I will post it. I don't see the metal on metal but do see the plastic parts touching, where I have the pain.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Partial Revision Failure
    20250628_092026.webp
    47.5 KB · Views: 51
I’ve had that X-Ray done and I think it’s called the sunshine view.

I’m sorry you’re still in so much pain. :console2:
 
I’ve had that X-Ray done and I think it’s called the sunshine view.

I’m sorry you’re still in so much pain. :console2:
I've had that view done before too...but this time, I was asked to squat in a VERY LOW position. It hurt!
 
Oh wow, I’m sure that did hurt! They must have wanted to see it with a lot of pressure on your knee. I’m not sure I could do that, even today, 8+ years later, and if I did manage it somewhat, my knee would have been upset for a while after. My knee is still the same mess it’s always been.
 
I told my orthopedic surgeon that I would rather be in a wheelchair than have another knee replacement!!! My husband's Parkinson's is really advanced and he is deteriorating fast. I am his sole caretaker and have to do all the chores now.
I am absolutely exhausted these days.He can still do ADL. It took all the energy I had to start posting here again.
 
Thank you for the X-ray. It does look like you may have some patellar tracking issues. So, am I understanding correctly that when they took this X-ray you were in a low squat position? If so, that would really worsen any slight maltracking you might have and maybe that was what the surgeon was looking for. What did he have to say about this image?
 
My husband's Parkinson's is really advanced and he is deteriorating fast. I am his sole caretaker and have to do all the chores now.
I’m so sorry. My husband deteriorated fairly quickly, also. It was heartbreaking to see my athlete of a husband, a basketball coach for 20 years, lose his posture as bad as he did.
 
Thank you for the X-ray. It does look like you may have some patellar tracking issues. So, am I understanding correctly that when they took this X-ray you were in a low squat position? If so, that would really worsen any slight maltracking you might have and maybe that was what the surgeon was looking for. What did he have to say about this image?
That is when he said, there might be a "metal on metal" issue. To refresh everyone's memory, when I had my revision in 2018....Dr. Kreuzer, who did the revision left my patella button in because he said, "it was tracking well"! He FORGOT it had Cobalt in it. I tested positive for a Cobalt allergy!!! He said he was sorry. Definitely not ever seeing him again!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom