Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Partial Revision Failure

@Layla, @Jamie, moods a little brighter. I have diagnosed my main issue as having a Trendelenburg Gait: it is an abnormal gait resulting from a defective hip abductor mechanism. I contacted my former Pilate's instructor, and I am going to take a class with her next Thursday, the 29th to work on strengthening my L hip muscles. I also, had x-rays of my back where I had the L-2 compression fracture....it has healed. I need to strengthen my core/back muscles too.
The plan is to make this part of a routine to get stronger. It is also, close to home. :)
 
Hi there Cementless,
It is wonderful that your mood is lighter and great news the compression fracture is healed! :thumb:

I am certain you remember, Josephine, BoneSmart's Nurse Emeritus that retired after over fifty years experience in orthopedics. She referred to Tredelenburg as a form of a limp that may be caused by
Leg length differential - LLD

If you haven't already, you can do an online search and see videos of people walking with a Trendelenburg gait to give you a better idea as to whether it pertains in your regard.

It will be interesting to hear how you feel about the Pilates class. Great that it's close to home. Hopefully you will meet your goals while attending, regaining strength in your core. Best of luck to you. I hope you have a lovely weekend!
@Cementless
 
Three months to date since the stabilizing plate was placed.
I hope you're doing well and enjoying your Pilates class.
A great weekend to you!
@Cementless
 
@Layla , so sweet of you to keep up with my progress. I am doing so much better. I go to Pilate's twice a week and it really is helping a lot! Yesterday, I even did a one hour, exercise zoom class with husband. We did weights and some lower body exercises. I'm getting stronger all the time. I still use a cane for the most part, to stabilize my walking but, sometimes I forget it and wonder where it is! lol :heehee: Getting out of the house at least twice a week is a mood lifter and I love my Pilate's instructor. I was going to her from 2018 to 2020 before Covid, so she knows me and really targets the right spots! I saw my orthopedic surgeon on July 14th, and he said, "I will see you in a year unless you need me." The kneecap still hurts at times, but I am living with that....it clicks when I walk.
 
Wow, you are doing so well! It is so uplifting to read this. You deserve it!
 
This is a GREAT update. I’m so happy for you. You’ll see more improvements in the next year, I believe. Let us know how things go. The Pilates is excellent for you, so I hope you can continue with it. You deserve it!!
 
What a fantastic update. You're doing so well! Couldn't be happier for you, Cementless.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
@Cementless
 
Hello Everyone!
On October 4th, 2023, it will be 9 months since I fell. Basically, I am doing well except for the Left knee with Osteolysis that gave me trouble before I fell! The left knee still gives me trouble, is painful and I can't put much weight on it to climb stairs or curbs. I know the left knee is affecting my gait. I still hobble and walk with cane when I need extra support. My left hip, femur, and back have healed but my muscles are still weak. I go to Pilate's twice a week and try to do my leg and hip exercises 2-3 times a week at home. We were able to go on an Alaskan Cruise from September 10th to September 17th. We did not go off the ship because the walking was too much. My son and his friend were with us. They came down with Covid the next to the last day (September 16th) but we remained Covid free even though we shared a 2 room suite with 2 baths. I will post pictures.
 
Thanks for the update, Cementless! It is good to read you're doing well aside from your left knee giving you trouble. I am sorry for that. How wonderful you were able to go on a cruise even if you didn't leave the ship. A change of scenery is always nice. Thankfully you didn't catch that awful virus. I hope your son and his friend are feeling better by now.
Have a lovely, Autumn!
@Cementless
 
Update: I had a Bone Length scanogram DX on 1012/2023. It showed the total leg length of both my right and Left leg measured 78.2 cm. The main thing it showed was the Genu angulation: Right knee valgus= 2 degrees; Left knee valgus=8 degrees. Which means: "Your right knee valgus is only 2 degrees, which is considered to be within normal range 1. However, your left knee valgus is +8 degrees, which is greater than the normal range. This indicates that your left knee joint is angled out and away from your body’s mid-line more than it should be. This is considered "knock knee". I have no idea if this is causing "osteolysis"? I have sent this report to my orthopedic surgeon.
My podiatrist ordered this test because we are redoing my orthotics.
 
Wow, I’m sorry to read this. It will be interesting to see what your Ortho says.


However, your left knee valgus is +8 degrees, which is greater than the normal range.
What is normal range? Can you see and feel this difference?
 
[Bonesmart.org] Partial Revision Failure
 
Oh my. Keep us posted please.
 
Hello Everyone! Thought I would check in. I'm doing OK. A little stronger but basically the same. I saw another trauma orthopedic surgeon (the 3rd) about my L knee on Dec. 6th, 2023. He agreed with the others to NOT try and replace the patella button. What little patella I have left is very osteoporotic. I would only have a 20-30% success rate. My gait is off because of differences in my leg length. 1/4" to 1/2" shorter in the left leg where I broke my femur/hip. The rod and plate push on the bones to make that valgus +8 degrees. He recommended a "shoe lift"! Anyway, I am already using orthotics, that help to some degree. I did 3 months of formal PT and it was very helpful!!!

My question for everyone is...recliners. I want to get a recliner for my husband that has Parkinson's. He is having a harder time getting in and out of his regular recliner. Maybe ones that helps lift you out that is very comfortable. Any suggestions?

Hope everyone had a lovely Valentine's day!!!
 
I want to get a recliner for my husband that has Parkinson's. He is having a harder time getting in and out of his regular recliner. Maybe ones that helps lift you out that is very comfortable. Any suggestions?
I don’t have a brand name suggestion but I think a recliner like this would be very helpful. I probably told you, my husband was diagnosed with Parkinson’s, then a year later they changed it to Multiple System Atrophy. He declined rapidly that second year and really could have used a lift recliner, as he had a lot of trouble getting out of chairs. At the time we really knew very little about them, and had just recently bought living room furniture, so we didn‘t invest in one, but looking back, I wish we had.
 
Hi Cementless, It is nice to hear from you! Thankfully the formal PT helped you and you’re feeling a little stronger. I hope it continues!

As far as recliners go - they are definitely loved for comfort and convenience, but also for the assistance they offer at a time when getting out of a chair can feel like a challenge.

A lift recliner offers ease with sitting down and getting up. Recliners can provide a wide range of positions for you to relax, keeping you comfortable. You may need to make the recliner sit a bit higher if it doesn't have lift capability, but that can easily be done with a simple wood platform or blocks.

Personally, I didn’t want a lift recliner when hubs and I went looking prior to my surgery, but the salesman, along with my husband talked me into it. I am thankful because I can’t imagine my recovery without the recliner. I‘ve also borrowed it to two others since then that were recovering from joint surgery so I view it as money well spent. I’d suggest you go to the furniture store and let your husband try them out. Good Luck! Have a nice weekend.
@Cementless
 
Btw: I still use a cane most of the time, as to not fall back into "bad walking habits" (as my PT person says). I'm pretty much resigned to using a cane. Starting back to my Pilate's class on February 28th. :)
 
My dad got a lift chair - not a recliner just a really nice armchair with the sit to stand feature - as his Parkinson's advanced. I don't know the brand (it was in the late1990s) but it was such an enormous aid to his independence!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom