Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Partial Revision Failure

Good news and not so good news. I got an A+ walking in with a cane. The Dr. said most people would still be in a wheelchair or using a walker. I did break my hip where the femur and hip meet. He says, I need a plate put in to support the femur. That I am healing beautifully but I am a walking "time bomb" because the femur bones are so thin. Any one my age would be he said. He said to leave the knee cap alone and he does not think my tibia is loose. That is very good news. The surgery will take 30 minutes and I will stay over night. Should be an easy recovery.
 
Other than you need another procedure, this is all good news. It sounds like the surgery is pretty straightforward, so you should be fine afterwards. Better to get this done than to have to worry about a bone problem later. The plates work very well and you should be fine.
 
The orthopedic dr. is going to put a long plate over the main part of the femur and possibly take that bottom screw out. I have more metal than bone.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Partial Revision Failure
    20230225_083208.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 98
Boy, those x-rays are something! You’re right….between your knee and your hip problems, you are just one straight line of metal. I’m so glad to know this is working for you, though. You’ve had such a long road.
 
Hey friend,

I am just catching up. Oh my, you have been through so much. Wow, what trauma! I am glad your back was a compression fracture that did not need surgery. You have had more than your share of surgery. I encourage you to stay positive and focus on the little victories each day! Hugs to you!
 
@Jamie, @Layla: What do you all think about this idea: I sent an email to my new orthopedic dr. and ask him to consider scoping my knee when he puts the plate in to reinforce the femur on April 20th, 2023. My knee hurts more than my fractured L. hip, L. femur and back. It's very discouraging. He is on vacation for another week. I certainly don't want to risk introducing an infection but thought since I will be under, might as well take advantage of the situation.
 
I think it’s fine to ask about that option. But don’t be surprised if he opts to just stick with what needs to be done - the plate. There are a lot of reasons your knee might be hurting right now that might not be directly related to your knee. Referred pain is a very real thing….it could be related to your fracture and the way your body is currently aligned. Sometimes it’s best to just deal with one thing at a time rather than going on a search mission because something hurts.
 
So sorry you're hurting, discouraged and have to wait at least another week to connect with your surgeon.
I am sure your surgeon will steer you in the right direction and I wish you comfort as you await next steps.
@Cementless
 
Hello Everyone!
Update:
I am on the road to recovery!!! Getting better every day!
On April 20, 2023, I had prophylactic plating because I am at high risk for interprosthetic fracture. This is due to my cephalomedullary hip nail (Jan 5, 2023) and the long stem of the L. revision total knee (Oct. 9, 2018) budding up against each other. Also, because I have age related osteoporosis.
My L. hip/leg/knee already feels so much stronger, and I can get by with a cane or walking short distances by myself. Starting to reduce my pain medication the last 2 days. I will post pictures of my poor bruised leg next.

Cementless

PS: I LOVE MY NEW ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON AND HE IS ONLY 39 YRS. OLD!!!
 
Post surgery plating bruises: left hip, femur, knee.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Partial Revision Failure
    20230426_142714.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 84
  • [Bonesmart.org] Partial Revision Failure
    20230426_142618.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 81
  • [Bonesmart.org] Partial Revision Failure
    20230424_114605.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 78
This is great news!! Your bruises don’t look all that bad, considering what you’ve had done this time. It does sound like an excellent solution for at least some of the problems you’ve been experiencing. Take things easy as you recover and I look forward to your next reports.
 
@Jamie
Question, my left leg and hip feel very stable but I am having pretty severe nerve and muscle pain where the plate and screws were inserted. It has only been 3 weeks since that surgery. I was offered Gabapentin 300 mg once daily as needed for 14 days. I declined. I'm wondering if I should have the doctor call in a prescription for Gabapentin 300 mg? For some reason, I am scared of that drug. Any advice would be appreciated.
 
Many people have no problem with Gabapentin. My cat is even on it! I'd say it's worth a try. Nerve pain is normal after any invasive surgery, so you are having nothing unusual, but there is no reason why you shouldn't try and find some relief.
 
I took pregabalin ( very similar) when I had sciatica before my knee surgery.
It did seem to help with this nerve pain.
No particular side effects apart from possibly some sedative effects.
 
I have taken the Gabapentin twice, every other night before bed and it does seem to help. It makes me so sleepy the next day, but sleep better at night.

My new concern is I have not really done any PT, except a few leg lifts here and there. I use my walker and cane half and half.
Although my knee feels stronger, when I walk without either it stresses my left hip where I fell. I favor my good leg and sorta hobble when walking. I'm thinking of trying the stationary bike to loosen of my left hip.
Where they put the plate in on my left femur, the internal sutures are so tight!
I really don't want formal PT. I'm a little discouraged with walking on my own. So scared of falling again. My walker acts like a purse for me but I do well with my cane.
 
@Cementless…..try to take things slowly with your recovery. You’ve been through a lot and it may take some extra time to rebuild strength and flexibility. As long as you’re walking around several times a day and doing gentle bends and stretches with your knee, you should be fine without formal therapy. You can always opt for it later when your pain levels lessen and you want to begin strength building. Right now you’re in healing mode…not the same as strength building.

But do not walk without support this early on. The fact that you say you “kind of hobble” indicates you are not ready to try and walk with whatever aid is giving you that result. If that happens with a cane, stay on the walker for a while longer until you have a good strong stride with it. Be sure your walker is at a height that allows you to walk upright and not bent over. That strains your whole body. Go slow. You are right to take care so you don’t fall again. You will gain strength again and feel more “together” with some time.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom