TKR Papas new knee<

How wonderful you're going for it on the left replacement @Trppr1231. (Did I just say that)?.. lol!

[Bonesmart.org] Papas new knee<

We'll help you get through it and although I swore in my first 4wks of recovery I would NEVER EVER EVER have a joint replaced again, today I can say I actually envy you! My left knee is weak, now that I know what a strong knee feels like, but not enough pain to warrant a replacement yet. But when arthritis rears it's ugly head there I won't wait 2yrs to have it replaced like I did my right knee. I'll do exactly what you're about to do!

At 11wks post-op on my right replacement I'm SO glad I treaded lightly the mucky waters of recovery by staying close to the BoneSmart mantras. I know I say this allot but golly gee.. they brought me to the place I am able to ride my 4 wheeler again to enjoy the small waterfall at the edge of our farm property!

Looking forward to following your continued successful recovery on both knees so you can do all of the things you enjoy with the Grands without arthritis hindering your knees!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Suz I thank you! I too said no way but as the right got better the left fell off fast. I mean like now it hurts more than right. The OS got me in quicker than thought but glad. I am going to request same home therapist, I liked his attitude. He was straight out of bone smart. Don't do it if it hurt ice ice elev. let me move at my own pace. I waaaay over did it Friday. My right muscles still hurt. Knee a little. Anyway. Aug 5 1:30 pm new knee and then ready to get going again.
 
I'm happy you can get the other knee so soon. You'll be ready for the rest of your life without arthritic knees to hold you back.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
The weekend was really tough. Knee and leg killed me. Went back on real meds. Went to therapy yesterday. They worked me ok. Stopped when I finally after 5 weeks showed pain. Took more pain killers last night. I feel a lot better this morning. Actually my knee feels better than it has in a long time. Like waaaaaay back when younger. I guess over did it Friday and that caused all the issues. I go tomorrow to O S to get checked out, go over up coming surgery. Right now I can't wait to get left done. Yesterday I was ready to call it off.
 
I'm so glad you're feeling better! Keep doing what you did. It must be right!
 
@lgobrien I am not sure. My doc has me off on fmla till sept. Now getting left done August 5 I won't be back till next year I am guessing.
OS said all is going great knee feels good small amount of swelling now. Told me NOT to get to busy with it. I can go back as I found out last weekend. So I walk some in house elevate leg when down. Not going at it like I did. I am not 25 anymore. I know that now. I may get back to going good but in time.
 
Did not sleep well again! I am tired of this up and down. Leg and knee so tight last night I could never get comfy. To stubborn to take hard meds. Just stuck with Motrin and it failed me. I am up at 4 and will stay up all day.
 
I think this is where I say "join the club"! LOL. I finally put the tramadol and Tylenol on the nightstand with water so I don't have to get up. I always forget to take medicine at bedtime 'cause I'm so tired. Then I don't want to get up if I do remember! I try it without, but have found it best to take meds on the first wakeup I have. Will see how this works out. Hope you can get some sleep today and tonight. They say it will get better!
 
It DOES get better. I went thru this 8 years ago and I loved my new knee and my new life. But, at this stage of the game, it seems like those days will never come again. Had a bad night and day yesterday too. But woke up today feeling like I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. Of course, who knows what tomorrow will bring. Two steps forward, one step back? Baby steps? Hang in there!
 
I am wondering how long it takes? I am just over 8 weeks out. Days can get long trying to keep mind busy. Knee and legs is starting up again. Knee getting very stiff hard to move. But the muscles around also get tense and very tight. That seems to add to my agony. I feel like it gets better only to fall back. Like @lgobrien said 2 forward 1 back. I am having issues outside of knee with some stress. Wondering how much that's adds to pain. I am NOT going to take hard core pain meds tonight. I want to stop. If only I can get comfy in bed and not have knee stiffen I would be happy. So for today I have done some but not over done. I have strong legs per therapist but rom needs to increase. I have gotten to a 115 at office. Thinking that's pretty good. Now working on left before surgery. Help it to take less time.
 
I am wondering how long it takes? I am just over 8 weeks out.
@Trppr1231 - I'm sorry to tell you this, but it does take a full year for complete recovery from a TKR, although you will be feeling heaps better long before that. At 8 weeks, your new knee is still just a baby, and it's going to be cranky for a while yet. The two steps forward, one step back and the apparent pauses in recovery are all normal.
This recovery is a huge trial of patience, but it will be worth it in the end.

A ROM of 115 is pretty good and you have plenty of time for it to increase, because it can continue to do so for as long as a year after a TKR.

As for working on the other knee, it's good to go into surgery with strong muscles, but that knee will still need just as long to recover from the trauma of such a major surgery. It may achieve ROM faster, but it will still need to heal itself internally.

Some people need pain medication for longer than two months, so don't feel that you must get off it. It might help if you ask your PCP for a step down drug, such as Tramadol, to ease you off the hard core stuff, because it does sound as if you still need something, particularly to help you get comfortable at night.
 
My friend 115 ROM sounds pretty good to me, mine is 101 and I'm happy. Hopefully soon you will be able to sleep better at night and I think that's when we actually start to feel a little better and have a little more energy, I know you are tired of being told to be patient but that's the key. I still have good days and not so good ones but I feel so much better today than I did 2 weeks ago and that's what I focus on, two weeks from now it will be much better than today, except that I'll be back to work, ughhhhh!!!!!!!!!

I hope you can get some rest tonight :sleeep:
 
I went back to work 12 weeks after my revision. With my job I am on my feet almost constantly for 10 to 12 hours a day. I still am very stiff and swollen at the end of the day. I think if I had an office job I migh have been able to get back to work a little sooner but you really need the time to heal especially having two surgeries close together.
 
Well last night was not too bad. Put my " panty hose" on. Seems to help knee and RLS. Will go out in heat today for PT. then back inside heat here now is temps at 100. Index @ 110 - 115 for next 3 days! So I will tolerate that too ! My grandson going on a mini vac this weekend. He will have fun. I will miss him. He is my boy!
 
Glad to hear you got some rest and the "panty hose" helped, :)
 
@uva55 yes felt good too !!!! I saw my PCP and she up' the dosage on my RLS pills. Told me take one a day us it as a "maintenance" med. I hope that helps. My knee feels pretty good to, no swelling that I notice. So I am claiming today as a great day!!!!
 
That's wonderful that you are doing better...Now I know, from experience, that when we feel good we over do it...take it easy today :)
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom