TKR Papas new knee<

@birdwatchr thanks. He already does confide to me. We talk everything about life work school. I am not a work missing type either. I must walk shop floor ( concrete naturally ) so Doctor thought not yet. I just can't seem to understand why these places seem to think one person is so needed. If they don't need you they kick you pretty quick. My grandson is an exceptional student, very smart at math. Enjoys science. Even taking an advanced class next year. His goal is Eagle Scout,some sort of computer guy. I am amazed at him
 
How wonderful he has such high aspirations @Trppr1231! You've obviously had a strong positive influence in his life! I'm happy for you both!
 
@Trppr1231 I know what you mean, I stinks that we have to worry about how soon we have to return to work when we are trying to heal. When I was told I really needed tkr I really thought I would be able to go back to work after 4 weeks for sure, I knew that there would be recovery, and pain, and I have a high tolerance for pain, but I was not prepared for the reality of the recovery, the lack of energy, all the different ways this surgery affects your body.

My dad is 86 he had a total right shoulder replacement in January, he stayed with me for one month during his recovery and it was nothing like this, he only took pain meds one day in the hospital, after that it was just the Tylenol arthritis formula 650 mg, never lost appetite, it was amazing, I thought my recovery would be about the same, boy was wrong.

That's great that you are so close to your grandson, I have five grandchildren and there is nothing better!!
 
So, my advice to you , having had BTKR 26/4, would be NOT to commit to any return to work date until at least 4 weeks after your 2nd knee is done.
I am booked to return Aug 1 (14 weeks post op) to about 80% of my normal workload. When I arranged that I thought...Great! 9 weeks to recover, 4+ weeks to bike, hike, enjoy the summer. Now, I am SO happy that I still have 4 weeks to fully recover so that I can, with luck, enjoy an uneventful return. There's no way I would want to go back full time 3 days from now even though by all accounts I'm doing pretty well.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Suz thanks for that. @uva55 i am sure they will be fine without me. I worked through the pain for over 2 years. I think the least they can do is understand. One of my coworkers is the issue. Her mother and brother, both retired btw had tkr done and they were ok after the 8 week window. So she based all of it on that. Told me numerous times oh you will be back at 6 weeks. Knowing full well I had been in pain and worked through it
I am not least bit worried. I have a very good support team at home so what happens. Happens.i can find new work if I must. Just too old to start over. As you can tell I am up with pain. Over did it big time today. Swelling returned and ice ice baby is not helping right now much
 
@uva55 I didn't realize you would been up. I did and got some additional sleep without meds. I hate taking them. I to have a high tolerance to pain. When in 3rd grade I sat through class for over 4 hours with 3 breaks in my left arm. I feel meds just mask the problem. Rain rain rain here today so that may have led to a little discomfort. I think to much work yesterday. You have became a good friend on here. I thank you and all who help
 
Take advantage of the rain and be lazy, ice that knee!!
 
I have found that rain makes my knee more uncomfortable, too, so you're not alone in that!
 
I've had both knees done March 14 and then May 9. The first was easier I had to make myself stop pushing it. The people here helped I stopped exercising and PT. I iced and elevated at least four hours a day. sometimes more. I also got some ambian from my doc to help sleep I recovered from the second TKR just fine without all the hard and painful therapy. Hope your recovery goes well and you can get some sleep
 
Last night was rough. Between restless leg and knee I was up and down every 2 hours. I feel tired today restless legs are coming back. It is terrible to have your legs move and twitch with no control. Just as I might get comfy in bed they start. Or they flex in the chair. I try to walk and stretch some. But to no avail.i have meds for it. Those I do take religiously. The weather had an effect on knee I am sure. I hope tonight is better rain going away. Hope once done with left in a month or so this restless leg can go also.
 
@Trppr1231 i feel for you, I don't have the restless leg, but I get the nerve pain sometimes, why is it that all of these annoyances seem to get worst at night? I took benadryl last night and slept a little better. Have you called your doctor? Maybe they can switch your meds.

Get better soon!!!
 
@uva55 they did up the dosage on my meds for restless leg. I just need to get up. Stretch some more to I guess. When I stretch the hamstring and lower lag it is good. But sometimes puts me in pain. I will be ok. Just frustrated
 
Well last wasn't bad. Took a Motrin pm slept till 2 then got up for a drink. Right back in an slept till 630 which is late for me. So all in all a good night. Will be barbque today and watch grandson and daughter set off fireworks.
 
Well you can't beat a night with good sleep, bbq & fireworks with the Grands! Happy Independence Day!

[Bonesmart.org] Papas new knee<
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom