TKR Papas new knee<

As you will notice in my signature, I had a couple of years between tkrs because they weren't evenly bad.

As for meds, for me it wasn't so much pain--as in sharp pain--I would describe it as achy stiffness. The pain meds really helped with that. And with sleeping--though that came in installments for quite a few weeks.
 
My pain is also achy stiffness. The ice really seemed to help last night. In the doc report he wrote he changed from an 8 to a 10 on lower leg. Is that meaning it was worse than originally thought ?
 
Trppr1231,
An 8 to a 10 sounds like he is talking about your spacer size. He most likely felt your knee was more stable with a 10. Best you ask him for a more specific answer.

Please add your surgery date to your signature, hover over your username top right, click on signature, add your information there, Thanks! If you have trouble, post your surgery date here, and a Moderator will add it for you.
Thanks, the date will help us answer your questions.
 
My knee swells and stiffens every night while sleeping. So much it wakes me. I then ice it and elevate it. Some relief but no sure why it does this. I don't think it's from overdoing it. But not sure
 
Knee started moving more freely. Can hear it "click" now when moving it a little. Was swollen
A lot this morning. Iced and elevated all night. Got in and out of a standard tub for a shower alone. Which made me feel good. No "hall monitor " watching. Felt way better today than in a long time. Work calls each day when are you coming back. My answer is when I feel like it!
 
So glad things are beginning to improve for you @Trppr1231! I've had to relearn patience during my 7wk post-op recovery. I spend allot of time still elevating, icing and reading posts & articles here in the forum.

Hope you continue to get stronger and your swelling is soon resolved!
 
Thanks Suz. Over did it yesterday I think. Last night was a bear. Swelling and pain I finally had to use a pill, which I did NOT want to. But I finally got some more sleep.
 
Glad you were able to get some sleep. Before my TKR (about 3wks prior to yours) I was the most anti-medication person going. After my TKR I was determined to brave the pain and cut back asap on pain meds.

Boy did that thought ever come back to haunt me! I still have days of swelling and pain I do my best to keep my non-narcotic pain meds in my system every 6hrs. By doing so I'm able to walk better (without a limp) and do my gentle stretching exercises more effectively.

Like you, using a pill at night when I can't sleep definitely helps. And I believe we do our best healing while we're asleep!

Hang in there- things do get better!
 
My knee swells and stiffens every night while sleeping. So much it wakes me. I then ice it and elevate it. Some relief but no sure why it does this. I don't think it's from overdoing it. But not sure
That's not unusual at your stage. Do you take anything before bed?
 
Kneeper I usually don't take anything.in the middle of the night maybe a oxy but not very often. Just ice it and try to sleep. It is always swelled and warm to touch like now. Therapy wants more but not getting it. Like I said before my best morning was Father's Day. No swelling and felt great. Then over did it and been paying since
 
Good morning. It has been a rough night. Knee swelled after to much yesterday and hurt pretty good this morning. Sitting here with ice and elevation. I just can't seem to figure out why it swells every night. Gets stiff and hurts to walk or bend. I am going to try the machine this weekend again. I would love to know what I need to do to get past all this. I wonder if some stress maybe involved ? I also wonder if I may not be drinking enough ?
Time will tell. I will sit a timer today and make an effort to watch how much I drink.
 
Papa, I'm attempting a 4 week pair of tkrs and I'm 11 days since RTKR and 17 days pre left ltkr. We'll see if it goes as planned, I teach so I'm just trying to give myself proper recovery time before back to work.
It sounds like you and I are charting the same course physically, I've read this board and another for 7 years and it's still worse than expected (probably because it's me!)
Sleeping all night is totally a dream for me right now, but I had a p good one last night, up 3X, but
each time falling back asleep.
I think with TKR, advancements come in "little steps"
Ted
 
My knee also swells and is more achy at night, it feels heavier...I would say it's probably tired from whatever activities we did during the day, just like in the morning it feels a little stiffer but once I walk on it for a bit it feels pretty good...this is just a long, slow recovery!!
 
@uva55 i agree but this morning it wasn't swollen. Slept pretty good to. PT put some "tape"on right inside part of knee. Don't know if all in my head but it made it feel good. I went out this morning and still not bad.
 
@tpellerin i too just get up 3-4 times and call it great. I know I am personally pushing it. I get feeling of walls closing in some. But now my grandson( who is in my pic) is back from camp. That makes me feel so much better. He is great for papa. Agree little steps are they way it is. Heard from so many others not here that say well my mom or brother only out 3-5 weeks.
 
@Trppr1231 grandkids always make things a little better, sometimes they are the best therapy we can have.

Find out more about that magic tape, maybe we can get some of that :)
 
But now my grandson (who is in my pic) is back from camp. That makes me feel so much better. He is great for papa.

@Trppr1231, that is SO sweet! Sometimes our best medicine isn't found in a bottle! Hope you continue to heal and feel better! I'm just a few weeks ahead of you but when I hit the 5th week things started improving fast! I still have stiffness and have to pay attention not to limp but can put weight on my surgical leg now with absolutely no pain! We're getting there!

:yes!:
 
@Suz i agree that grandkids are great medicine. He is also the reason I push a little too much. I want to do with him what I haven't been able to. I have 3 grandkids I adore each one. I will admit my oldest is papas boy.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom