TKR Papas new knee<

Good luck tomorrow...you are a pro at this recovery thing now, you will be fine.

Will be on the lookout for your updates!!!
 
@uva55 I don't know about " pro" but I can handle it. Up ready but starving and thirsty . Only bad thing the wait. I hope work is going ok for you. I am back to a battle with insurance over disability. Right knee ok but that outside tendon on thigh still gives fits at times. Going in at 1:30 for surgery at hospital at 11:30. Should be home on Sunday afternoon if all goes well.
 
All will be well... Good luck!!!

I survived the work week!!!

Put insurance and disability on the back burner for now...concentrate on recovery!!!
 
Hey Terry,
I've been away with issues, hope and expect all is well.
My first day back from tkr 2 my fav memory was putting my feet in ice water bath on a hot day!
 
@uva55 Clara. And all else of my friends here. I ended up just getting home today. Had a tough time with some stair therapy. Kept getting nauseated and was real clammy and sweaty yesterday. They kept my. I made it up and down stairs so they released me today. Straight to bed with ice ice ice and elevation and pills. Just woke up. Knee was a total disaster. My knee cap and bones growing back underneath. I had a bone out the back of knee where none should be. No cartilage what so ever. Complete bone on bone. OS Doctor said one of worse he ever saw from arthritis. So now it recovery time. It will be slow as I am sore. More later or tomorrow
 
Ok just finished first session with home therapy. Went pretty good not as sore after as I remember with right. Can walk ok and do others good. I am tired though. No energy. Pills on the clock not as needed. Ice,ice,ice,ice!!! Evelation !!! All ok so far. Sleeping ok too. Shouldn't have said that.
 
:sleeep:I am glad you are ok, I was worried about you....REST, ICE, ELEVATE...feel better
 
Get as much sleep as you can. You know what to do. I'm happy you are doing well so far.
 
It sounds like you had a lot of damage and now you're on the road to recovery! Get all the sleep you can. You're healing more when you're sleeping!
 
@uva55 Clara I thank you so much for everything. You are truly a godsend to me to help with this. Therapist thought I was doing very good. Just this sluggish stuff keeps me back. I have had to remove their ice machine and go back to the ol reliable ice packs. Machine not cutting it. Still getting super hot here. But not bad in house. Not as much bruising on leg this time either. I know the " rest" on the right for last 5 days has done it well. It is not as stiff nor as sore. I can bend it pretty good. It just seems better. @sistersinhim you to my friend have been a great find. You turned me on to great articles and they have helped. Ted I can't forget you we have been through a great deal together it seems like. I just will need to remind myself " not not not " to over do it. I can feel that 20 something superman feeling coming back. Thanks to all who I forgot to mentioned. You on here are the same as my family. Thank you
 
I feel the same way. BoneSmart has been my constant companion since December, when I knew I had to have a replacement sooner rather than later. I have met so many wonderful, caring people! And the knowledge of those who had already gone through it has been invaluable to me! No matter what our problem is there is someone on this site willing to help. The articles have saved so many of us unneeded pain. And Josephine knows so much about so much and is always here to help. Even after her shoulder surgery, she was right back here helping us. This site is a God-send to so many of us!
 
Thank you for the nice words, I also feel that I have met do many caring individuals that have become friends.
BS has answered so many questions for me that otherwise I would have been calling the OS about.

It sounds like you are doing pretty good and I'm very happy for you, take care of yourself!!!
 
Well I guess all sleep caught up or something. Pain real this early morning. Shin and knee throbbing real bad a hour or so for pills. I have gotten up to get my mind on something else. It just hurts pretty good. I tried lifting bad with good last night and may have started the issue myself. We will see. Ice on it now waiting those pills.
 
Tough night last night. Up and down all night. Little sleep. Was trying to start getting off pills but went to quick I guess. Not feeling the best right today. Will rest and ice and eat with meds.
 
Was trying to start getting off pills but went to quick
At less than two weeks from your TKR, it is too early to try and get off pain meds. Lack of pain control will only set you back.
Most of us just forget to take pain meds as we heal, and wean off naturally.

Pain management: importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Here are some photos of a TKR, your knee has been through a very traumatic experience and needs good pain control to heal. TKR surgery - WARNING: real life photos

Here is a copy of the post op reading for you to review.

Here are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock as prescribed
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Activity progression for TKRs
Heel slides and how to do them

Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
As long as your Dr lets you have pain meds, I would take them. My dr's PA told me I wasn't supposed to be taking them, and I think I suffered needlessly because of it. Had to get PCP to help out. Now, at 11 weeks out, I don't feel so bad just taking prescription meds for night time pain and excedrin for day time pain. Hope you get to feeling better and get some sleep.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom