TKR Papas new knee<

Think the hip pain has came from pillow under knee while in bed on my side. Have gotten over it. Knee hurts some and is mostly stiff. Therapy again tomorrow then I will be wore out again. Wish I knew how to get over this being so tired and sleepy.
 
Left knee continues to throb and stiff at night. I'm still having a tough time sleeping. Thought I was past it but not. I am starting to be up all night and sleep during day. Hope to break that this weekend. Left calf hurts to more a feeling like a cramp though than pain. Left knee has had some different pain than right and pills don't seem to help much. The stiffness I help by using heat. Ice continues to make restless leg act so I shy away unless absolutely needed. I skipped therapy today due to pain. I will try some stretching of the muscles to see if that helps. Any ideas or clues would be helpful ! Thanks
 
Think it may be a bit early for yoga just yet!

You said yourself you are doing too much - so try doing too little (by your standards) for a week or two and see how that goes. If things improve, then you have your answer.

Have you considered a muscle relaxer? Sounds like that may be of benefit - ask your doctor.

I have found that this last week my sleep has improved tremendously ( I'm a week ahead of you) largely due to the pain going down another notch.
 
I think the person recommending yoga was a spammer.
 
Less exercise and pt is less pain and swelling allowing more movements!
 
I had the same thought re the yoga post, spammer. Hope your pain is alleviating, trppr.
 
Seems since last night as the more rest and regular pill routine again has lessened the pain allowed not as much stiffness. Hopefully I can get more up this weekend. Not to over due it though.
 
@Celle I don't know about spammer. But I am not doing any yoga. Why do people feel they need to abuse a fantastic site such as this ?
Yoga is great, but not so soon after a knee replacement. I know you weren't doing it.

This spammer had written a post in your thread and inserted a link to his yoga web site. BoneSmart frequently gets spam. It gets deleted and the spammer is banned.
 
@Celle it does get better with time. Right ? I mean able to walk with little or no pain. Sleep and wake refreshed also. I am getting into a state that is making me wonder. This left knee being worse but healing way different. I still think I am going to get back quickly but I push it to much. I know and need to reel myself in at times. Don't like sleeping during day so much. Feel like I am not getting my lists done of work I have to do here. Nothing strenuous just some paper shredding, filing and making files. You know old boring organizational stuff. I just want some assurance in my little pea brain! LOL !!!!
 
Sure it gets better with time. It's still less than a month since your left TKR and complete healing of all your tissues can take as long as a year, sometimes even a little longer.
If you think about everything that was done to your knee, it's not hard to understand why it is still feeling pain. Knee replacement truly is major surgery and it does take a long time to recover. Do try not to compare your knees, because it's quite possible that your left knee had more work done than your right knee. No two knees progress exactly the same, even if they are done on the same day.

I know it's hard to be patient, but time really is your best friend. Give your knees time, don't ask too much of them now, and they should eventually be almost as good as the knees you were born with.

My right TKR is almost 5 years old and my left is almost 2 years old. Most days, I forget about them completely. I do walk completely without pain in both knees. I'm developing arthritis in my ankles and feet now and they hurt, but my knees are pain-free.

I do still feel some stiffness in both knees if I have been sitting for too long, but that soon loosens up and it has gone away by the time I walk a few steps. Occasionally, I get the odd, temporary niggle from one knee or the other, but it quickly goes away. When I think of how big those foreign bodies are that are inside my knee, I realize that I have to allow my knees a little bit of grumbling from time to time, because they are soooooooo much better than my poor old arthritic knees were.

At about a month out from surgery, you are in what we call the Dark Days of Recovery. Inside, your knee is still irritated and inflamed and it's healing as fast as it can. At this stage, your mind thinks "I should be doing so much more. What's wrong?" But your knee says "Not yet, my friend. I'm wounded, not lazy. Give me more time and I'll serve you well."

I do hope that I have been able to reassure you a bit.
 
I think especially since you've done 2 knees in sequence you probably feel like you've been in recovery mode forever. There will be a day coming when the knees are not on your mind anymore. :)
 
Today is first day I have felt better. I actually have been pill free since 4 am this morning. Some slight pain but nothing that I can't over come. I slept this afternoon with no pills. Feel ok. Knee a little sore but I was out of house and about. I think I have made a turn to the better.
 
Oh, that's wonderful! Enjoy your less pain, but like Clara said, don't overdo it or it'll set you back. We know cause we've been there!
 
Thanks to both of you @uva55 @sistersinhim I am not going to. I know from my own past to sloooow down some. I think my appetite coming back helped out and skipping last therapy session to. I went out twice. Took a loong " for me" hot relaxing shower and feel so much better. Weather also has been cooperating and slowed down on rain. Maybe just the stars aligned! LOL.
:rofsign: But for real it has been the advise here and just rest. I stopped fighting the taking a nap and reread a note that said " never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lay down and never pass up sleeping!" I whole heartedly agree. So I begin the TRUE road to recovery now. :yes!:
 
Yes! You've got the right idea now! And while you're up there getting rained on, could you please send us some down here? We are running way low and all these 90+ days have dried up everything so bad. The crops are looking pitiful. I know the farmers are really concerned. It's strange how some places have way too much and some not enough. Too bad everything can't be just right! One day it will be!
 
@sistersinhim I wish I could send it. We have had about 10 inches over the last week with 5 coming on Friday night!
I had a tough night last night. :gaah: I did go a little too much yesterday and paid last night. Nothing bad but just couldn't get comfy. I will fight past it with more rest today but still somewhat active. I find some days I think I sit to much and that starts my issues. Once I pass that I am good. @uva55 Clara. I have wondered about you and work. How's it going ? Hope good. I wish you well my friend and continue to heal with you.
 
Well I screwed up and let therapy push me into pain Monday afternoon. I paid the price the rest of Monday and today. I am cancelling tomorrow session and will go back Thursday afternoon. But no pain. She tried to "massage" thigh muscle and that hurt :bignono: . I did finally get pain down to a manageable state. I will sleep ok tonight I can feel that. Another shower time tonight and that was :wowspring:. I hope this weather straightens out soon to. That might help. I walked to mailbox today as well. I like to get things done but must remember " your not 25 "
 
Back
Top Bottom