Guest viewing is limited

Panic stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
fulafoto Hi Bill, I am interested in the cyst, too. At my appt yesterday, the PA said 'there's a cyst', but didn't say anything more about it. The way he said it was just matter of fact. hmmm
Claire
 
Yes, they don't get phased by them. They see them all the time. It's a pretty side product of arthritic changes and can occur adjacent to any joint. Can't tell you why they occur as no-one actually knows but they can be from the size of a pea to the size of a grapefruit. They're also not malignant or anything like that but if large, they do present an issue in that they have to be cleaned out of any detritus which is within the cavity and packed with bone meal which can be either minced bone from a donated femoral head, from your own femoral head or even by using synthetic bone granules usually made from ox bone!

Given the size and situation of your cyst, it being directly in the line of weight bearing, then a protracted period of non-weight bearing would be perfectly in order. But it should ultimately heal well and be no further problems thereafter.

So it's nothing you need to worry about. Your surgeon is well used to seeing and dealing with these things and will know what he is doing. Ultimately all will be well.
 
Josephine thank you so much :) I greatly appreciate your wonderful advice and that you share your extensive knowledge with us all is sensational! I find it interesting (no I am not panicking) that they fill the hole with minced bone - wow!!!
Thank you so much again Jo
:cheers:
Bill
 
They do the mincing at the table! As a scrub nurse, it was one of my jobs to take the femoral head and put it thought the sterilized bone mill! VERY hard work, specially if we were using donor femoral heads which were frozen solid!

[Bonesmart.org] Panic stations
 
Well I received a letter from the hospital today clarifying everything that is going on. It states I am a category 3 which means my op will happen in a time from of up to 365 days. :thud: I had a Dr appointment with my GP today and she said that she is gobsmacked and it is absolute BS (and she didn't mean Bone Smart:shocked:). Anyhow she has done a letter to the OS to state I need the op within at least 3 months so we will see how that all goes...
Is a raging headache a side effect of OA of the hip???:gaah:
Cheers,
Bill
 
Bill ... Raging headache more like signs of frustration!!! Up to 365 days,,,,, ridiculous! Do hope your docs letter helps....awful to wait when you are in such pain ...., keeping everything crossed for a quicker surgery date for you..,. Cheers Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Bill ... Raging headache more like signs of frustration!!! Up to 365 days,,,,, ridiculous! Do hope your docs letter helps....awful to wait when you are in such pain ...., keeping everything crossed for a quicker surgery date for you..,. Cheers Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
Thanks Chrissie and agree - the headache is a by-product of the goings on today:)
Cheers,
Bill
 
@fulafoto Bill - Hope your headache clears soon. Wow things are so different worldwide. When I met the PA on Friday he told me the options really (conservative: lose weight and do PT) or surgery. Being a coward I jumped on the conservative treatment. He said I could call anytime in the next 90 days if I decide I want to schedule surgery. So I thought it over, and called the scheduler this morning and got voicemail. Left a msg that I want to schedule now. He said it is four months lead time.... Does it sound to me that you don't get to pick if you want the surgery? That is awful. I hope your GP can bump you up. Claire
 
@MajorHeidi In the UK we choose to have surgery although they generally first go the conservative route. However, once you've decided or elected to have it the lead on time is 18 weeks from then. I was very lucky....I saw the surgeon, filled out t he admission forms and arrived back home to a phone call scheduling mine for 2 weeks time....I then had to reschedule because I had agreed to have the grandchildren during the summer break. They rescheduled then for after that time. However, because it is NHS they can cancel at any time. Have to say me experience was very positive...I hope Bill gets his op sooner....Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@MajorHeidi thanks Claire - the OS did discuss the conservative approach (from PT and weight loss to arthroscope) but did say that in his opinion I was way past that and needed the THR to which I agreed. He took me through all the possible side effects and repercussions of having the op and explained them very well I thought. He did say - and I checked with my wife who was there to make sure I wasn't imagining it - that I would be having the op in 30-90 days so I was a category 2 at that stage.

@Hoppy Nanny - thanks Chrissie - seems your system works a bit better than ours.

I did say to my GP that I honestly believe it was a clerical error where the wrong box was ticked by mistake but we will see.

Thanks for the support - I greatly appreciate it and will keep you updated on further developments :)

Cheers,

Bill
 
When I was a newly fledged RN and scrubbing for hip replacements when no-one anywhere else in the world was doing them, our patients had to wait TWO YEARS to get a bed! The hospital would only fund 4 hips a month as they were experimental!
 
@Josephine What a long way the NHS has come. I was in St Richards in Chichester and three surgeons were each doing three THRs /TKRs per day, five days a week and that is by no means a big hospital...ps...I'm sure it wasn't all that long ago when you were a young nurse?????!!! Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Ahhh the swinging 60's...remember them well! Doesn't seem that long ago......??


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
When I was a newly fledged RN and scrubbing for hip replacements when no-one anywhere else in the world was doing them, our patients had to wait TWO YEARS to get a bed! The hospital would only fund 4 hips a month as they were experimental!
@Josephine it must have been wonderful to be at the pioneering end of a procedure that has become so common place Jo. It would be interesting to see what developments have taken place in techniques and materials over those many years.

@Josephine What a long way the NHS has come. I was in St Richards in Chichester and three surgeons were each doing three THRs /TKRs per day, five days a week and that is by no means a big hospital...ps...I'm sure it wasn't all that long ago when you were a young nurse?????!!! Chrissie xxx
Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
@Hoppy Nanny - that sounds like a real production line Chrissie - 3 surgeons doing 3 THR's/TKR's a day five days a week! WOW - you would not think that many people needed them!

Of interest - figures from the My Hospitals website here in OZ indicate the hospital I am going through did 34 THR's in the last reported year (2011-2012)
Cheers,
Bill
 
@ fulafoto I know I was amazed at the amount of people through two designated wards for similar procedures. It is definitely a production line situation but it cuts the waiting time drastically....from seeing surgeon to scheduled date was two weeks...no cause for complaint! I don't know how long this situation has gone on for but they certainly have it like a well oiled machine... Luckily the care from the nurses, OT and PT was excellent too plus we were all sent home either walking aids, perching stools, raised loo seats and rails , helping hands and wheeled trolleys.....my house looks like an old peoples rest home !......hurrah for the NHS! Cheers Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom