Guest viewing is limited

Panic stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jaycey - thanks and yes the facial expressions are very telling so I am told! Prior to having to give up work temporarily the ladies in the office knew how bad the pain was by my facial grimacing. Hoping for a quick outcome for sure but every day above ground is a good day :yes!:
MountainGirl - you are so right in what you said about being kind to ourselves. Yes attending the appointment is a weight off my mind and now to wait for further developments and appointments - they will come when they come....
Cheers,
Bill
 
fulafoto Glad you had your appointment. Mine is Friday the 13th to meet with the OS assistant. Reading your post gave me some indication what will go on then. I am curious about the mention of psoriasis and concern. I have two spots on my right lower leg (bad hip side) and one on right elbow. They almost will never go away. Use some cream prescribed by GP about a year ago. Is there potential for infection from that?
 
MountainGirl:
I think I agree that comparing isn't necessarily helpful. But that shouldn't preclude anyone from sharing their thought process and their journey to the decision. (And I don't think you're advocating for that, but it's hard to tell for sure).
I, for one, have read many peoples' testimonies of their journey and it's been helpful to me. I've not compared mine to theirs in order to rank my decision as good or bad, but instead to find common ground (and differences) in order to be comforted by not being alone in this grand decision.
I'm hoping you're not suggesting that people don't share their stories of how they came to the decision. They've been helpful to me.
 
DrToonz , nooooo! I would never suggest that! I was reacting specifically to the idea that unless we all fit a certain set of external criteria, in one small subset of what it means to need a joint replacement, that people deem themselves "not bad enough" to warrant seeking treatment.

I am using my phone to respond, and I don't have the reference handy, but that attachment that Josephine sent a few messages back, or the Harris Hip Score, was a real eye opener for me that I, with my pushing through hikes (like you! :-)), was still so very much impacted by my deterioration in other categories, that whether I technically used a cane or walker didn't matter. My hips were shot. I don't want people to suffer needlessly thinking they have to ride this runaway car clear to the bottom of the hill before they "deserve" a chance at having it get better.

I still read every day, looking for common ground, and celebrate people's triumphs and bemoan their woes where their paths differ. This is a wonderful place!

I hope I've explained a bit more of where I am coming from. It really was just about hoping people can come to a good series of choices regarding treatment and recovery without worrying they're somehow not bad off enough to deserve good care.

Finally, are we geographic neighbors? Portland metro here.... I bet some of our hikes in the region might align!



Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk
 
And one more thought-- it was precisely because I personally did put myself in that category of not being bad enough that I lost years of being "me" with my kids, family, and friends. Chronic pain was like a hollow-point bullet to my whole sense of well-being. I just don't want people to go through that unnecessarily. It's bad enough already!

Peace... :-)

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk
 
And I will stop after this, but fulafoto and MajorHeidi, I bet the interest in the psoriasis is whether or not your arthritis is of one of the autoimmune variants-- psoriatic arthritis. I don't think that affects the joint replacement itself, but it plays a role in the type of medication they'd use to treat you going forward. Tagging Josephine to make sure I am not spreading inaccuracies.

Okay, no more hijacking the thread for me! I will step away from the phone...

:-)

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk
 
:) MountainGirl: I don't see it as a hijack, but as an elaboration.
Thanks for the clarification. I think you and I are in total agreement and I just misunderstood.

This site is a miraculous enlightenment for me and a fantastic affirmation that not only am I worth it, but that holding out further is just a silly postponement of the inevitable. Comparing our experiences remains essential and at the root of the whole 'support' thing.
The Hip Score thing is an interesting one. It is very nice to have a little backup for my decision however it comes.

We're a few hours apart. I'm in the Seattle area. My hiking is really a relatively new thing for me so although I've been on pieces of trails all over, I haven't done a ton (yet!). I'm sure if our trails don't coincide now, they will shortly!

OK, Now it's a hijack. :whistle:
 
Hey guys!
@DrToonz and @MountainGirl - I totally agree it is great to ready about others journeys and through this process and each individuals concerns and triumphs
MajorHeidi The interest the nurse in pre-op stated regarding the psoriasis was in skin integrity and the chance of infection afterwards. She sighted someone with a hernia op will have gauze inserted and if this gets infected a simple antibiotic will suffice to treat it however with a hip replacement it is a totally different kettle of fish and an infection is a lot harder to treat and a lot more serious. I will be very interested in what Josephine has to say as well,
Cheers,
Bill
 
I'm so glad your appointment went well and that all agree you need THR! Isn't it rather nice to know that the professionals are taking you seriously and know exactly what you need :) Don't worry too much about the wait time - most of us here went through that. I waited for 4 months from first appointment with the OS to getting the call to be scheduled for surgery .... and then another month to get to the operating theater. It seems that's pretty standard practice no matter where you are in the world.
 
I have psoriasis also, so will follow this with great interest!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
 
She sighted someone with a hernia op will have gauze inserted and if this gets infected a simple antibiotic will suffice to treat it however with a hip replacement it is a totally different kettle of fish and an infection is a lot harder to treat and a lot more serious.
My friend, you are 100% spot on! Except the nurse was inaccurate regarding the mesh used for a hernia repair will still have severe problems as it's still an implant. It would hold true for a hernia repair without mesh, however.
 
Josephine does having a few psoriasis spots cause an issue with getting a THR? Is there something given at the time of surgery to mitigate having psoriasis? Thanks in advance, as you are so helpful here to all of us.
 
As long as the spots are not within the area of the dotted lines, front and back! And no, so far as I know there is nothing can be given to prevent psoriasis. Anyone coming up with such a medication would be extremely rich!

[Bonesmart.org] Panic stations
 
djklaugh - thanks Deb - gives me some peace of mind for sure and really have to come to terms with the fact that I WILL have to wait - waiting has never been my strong point though so I guess I will have achieved some personal growth during the process.
Thanks also Josephine - Unfortunately my psoriasis falls into the 'bad' area - I have it on the scar of my previous hip ops from childhood. My daughter has put me onto some cream that she has had great success with for skin irritations and my wife is getting some for me tomorrow so fingers crossed:)
Cheers,
Bill
 
Another thing that the OS said was in reference to my X-Ray. He pointed to the spot (with the red arrow in the shape of an up-side-down teardrop) and said this is a cyst and ordered a CT scan to see if it was fibrous. If so they will have to remove all bone up to and around that area and do a bone graft. He also said it was likely it would be an unstable prosthetic and would not be able to weight bear for 3 months. Thought I would tag Josephine about this to see what you have to say about it,
Kindest regards,
Bill

[Bonesmart.org] Panic stations
 
Thanks for posting the image Bill, I am interested in Jo's opinion :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom