Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pain and good support system

Status
Not open for further replies.
PT had some new exercises for me tonight;

Sitting on a chair - arms extended out in front of me and standing up - then sitting down : 2 reps of 10

Stand on a board that had a fat dowel in the middle underneath it, so it rocked back and forth, kinda like straddling a small teeter totter - bent knees and tried to balance without letting either side touch the floor. : 2 min

Calves layed on top of large exercise ball while laying down - push down on the ball with calves while lifting up my butt off the table - hold for 3 seconds : 2 reps of 10

Sit on side of table - loop a leash around my shoe - put the leash under and through the table up into my hand - and pull making my leg bend as far as possible - hold for 10 seconds : 2 reps of 10

Plus all the other stuff ... Whew what a workout

Kinda sucked at the end I could only get my knee to bend 98* last week I got it to 101*

This is so freakin taking so long to get this knee to bend. Any suggestions?

Doin the whole rest elevate ice thing

Sigh


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
08/28/13
 
HI!!! I'm getting into your recovery thread a little late....sorry....don't know how I missed it!

Your story sounds so familiar here on BoneSmart. I know it's difficult to have patience with recovery from a knee replacement, but it really is important. I'm going to warn you that you're not going to be "normal" (whatever that is) at 10 weeks. Most people don't begin to feel the start of normal until around the 6 month mark. Remember that your knee didn't get this way in 6 weeks, 10 weeks or even 6 months. Likewise, your recovery will be gradual over much time. Fortunately, as you go through all this you will have MANY good periods and successes. You're going to find that one day you realize that your whole life is not focused around your knee. It just sort of "happens."

I still think your therapist is pushing you way, way too hard. How much longer do you have to go to this torture chamber? You know, there is no "one therapy fits all" with knee replacements. Everyone is an individual. Maybe some people can put up with this heavy-handed therapy, but it's obvious that it doesn't suit you. You must listen to what your body is telling you!!! If you're hurting and swelling during or after therapy, don't do those things! Your knee will heal just fine with gentle movements and most likely a whole lot faster. The more you keep it angry and inflammed by pushing and working tender tissues, the more you risk a cycle of pain and swelling. Please, please be tough with these guys and don't let them do this to you. If they send in the A Team to tell you you must...tell them bye-bye.

I have had both knees done and never ever did any of the things you describe. Other than gentle stretches and bends, the only real exercise I did was to ride my exercise bike. And at your stage of recovery, I was only doing about 5 minutes twice a day. My knee swelled up a LOT and I did a lot of massage to work the swelling up toward my body to be expelled. You might try that. Once your incision is healed, you can do these massages with some lotion or oil that makes it feel good. I do believe this helped me a lot.
 
Jamie;

Did you not go to physical therapy ? You only did the bike 2x a day and stretches ? I would love to just do that. I'm curious to know your recovery exercises.

I've read the information provided on this sight and it all makes perfect sense, why is it that the people I'm dealing with don't seem to agree?

I'm scheduled for PT 2x a week for 1 hr. The exercises do not hurt when I'm doing them, it's a couple hours later and the next day that I am very sore and swollen, which may have to do with the bending the therapist does to my knee. The latest measurement was 100 degrees.

My insurance approved 15 sessions, I've got about 7 more to go. I'm just so confused. I'm afraid if I don't follow their direction they will give up on me. At this point I'll settle with how my knee operates just as long as I can get rid of this annoying pain.
O


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
08/28/13
 
You said: "I've read the information provided on this sight and it all makes perfect sense, why is it that the people I'm dealing with don't seem to agree?"

Sweetheart, You don't have to get them to agree. You just have to stop going to them.

So what if they give up on you? They aren't doing you any good.
 
Probertson, I can relate to your struggles to want to do what the pt wants you to do and also follow the wisdom of this forum. I am at about 8 weeks myself and have similar issues that you have: pain, swelling, pt pushing me. I have been trying to tune into my knee and see what it needs and how it feels after I do certain things. (And getting advise from people here.) I have been experimenting with reducing the reps I am doing with the exercises and focusing on what feels like it is working for the recovery. I am still confused about the swelling, but am still icing when I need to. I want to reduce pain med usage, so try different dosing, but have continued to come back to at least 2 percocets twice per day plus the oxy. The minute my knee starts screaming, I know I didn't medicate properly and try to learn from my mistakes. It's hard to give up on the pt people because they are a tangible physical support for recovery. For me it is a security thing. I am trying to find the balance though and am working with my pt to work with me. Tomorrow I am bringing her a list of all of my exercises and talking with her about what is reasonable. She just adds exercises and doesn't seem to see the whole picture of everything that I am doing. I just want to the exercises that are the most effective. I can't get anything else done in my life either because I spend 90% of my time on my recovery. It's two months now and while I understand the path is long, I want more of my time devoted to normal activities if possible.
As to the difficulties with the household work, it might be useful, if you could afford it, to hire someone to come in once a week to clean and maybe even help with a shopping list. This is a change for everyone in your home and maybe something new needs to enter the picture to take the emotional and psychic stress off of you. Having your home in control might make you feel more in control. I know that is how it works for me.
I am up late because I tried to reduce one of the percocets for the night meds, now I am up until 3:30 in the morning; which will throw tomorrow off. More acceptance and trying to be kind to myself as I go back to bed and give it one more try.
 
I, too, am just catching up with you. Totally get your pain, swelling, frustration. I am at 8 weeks this week. Progress has been made but so so much more to go!!! This forum, bless you all, has taught me to chill where the demands of PT are concerned. I listen to my body not to anyone else. And I am improving.
Best to you!!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
It's been 9 weeks and about to venture out beyond what has been "safe" since Aug. 28th.

My husband and I are going to go out to eat and some lite gambling at a small casino about a little over an hour away. I hope my knee behaves. We really need this. Either way I'll let you know. I hope tonite goes well. : /


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
08/28/13
 
[Bonesmart.org] Pain and good support system
Getting out and doing something fun and "normal" is a good thing! Good for the body and the spirit. But be prepared to be quite tired when you get home and maybe a bit achier than you'd like. However, if you have a good time then it's worth having to take a little extra pain medicine as payment.

Take care and let us know how it goes. We care.
 
That's great!!! How did you do?? I am most curious about your stamina levels. I find my stamina is terrible by 6 pm.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Well peeps my adventure was probably a bit too early. My 1 1/2 hr car ride was little rough. The freeway was so bumpy it kept jarring my knee, I did bring my ice pack along for the ride, but it felt good to get OUT of the car and walk on it. A little stiff and disobedient at first but I pushed on and it began to behave.

Dinner at the casino restaurant was great!!! I haven't had a well cooked meal in a long long time. My husband and I enjoyed good conversation and good food. My dessert was a Percocet so I could attempt a little gambling.

I sat at a keno machine for about an hour and my body was screaming for rest. The ride home I propped a pillow longways under my foot and calf and that seemed to cushion the bumps in the road , that btw would probably have gone unnoticed with a "normal" knee.
I admit I reclined as far back as the seat would go and slept the whole way home.

Once home I was swollen from knee to foot. I propped and iced and was able to sleep for 4 straight hours b4 I was awoken with pain. So another pain killer and my recliner finished out the night.

Today so far has been more uncomfortable then "usual".
Tomorrow is PT. Am I worried? ...Yes.
Was the trip worth it? ...Yes.
Would I do it again? Yes, but not right away.
Next week we are going to dinner somewhere in town. Woohooo another well cooked meal!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
08/28/13
 
Quick question. How long is the normal or average amount of time spent doing physical therapy at an outpatient facility?

I dread going to physical therapy. I am able to perform all the exercises they request. But the aftermath is very painful for me.
Is there a specific degree in the bend of my knee that I need to reach before I can do exercises primarily at home and not with a physical therapist?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
08/28/13
 
[Bonesmart.org] Pain and good support system
I never went to outpatient PT. I had both knees done 2 days apart. Had a little PT at the hospital. Then went to inpatient rehab for 6 days. Had only an hour of PT and OT together each day. Went home and in home PT came twice a week for about 3 weeks. That was it for me. Just taking care of my semi-invalid hubby, the two cats, the house, and me was all the PT I needed. So 5 weeks post op, I was doing my own thing.


So you can stop going any time you want to. PT is not a requirement. It may be helpful and some folks just love it, but you can do all that stuff at home on your own.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Is there a specific degree in the bend of my knee that I need to reach before I can do exercises primarily at home
I never went to PT either. Few people in the UK do. We get given a scrib sheet of exercises and left to our own devices. Most of our surgeons are happy with that because (as I am often spouting on here) knees (and hips) get better on their own pretty much with minimal interference from us. If you want to know how much I did read the potted version of my recovery Knee recovery - UK style. By 8 months out, my ROM was around 135/0, btw.
 
If you feel like the PT is helping stick with it. I think I went for about 6 weeks but in the last couple just once a week because I felt like I wanted to check in to see how my progress was going. I will probably be more comfortable doing less outpatient PT and more on my own next time.
 
Wow you are very strong and brave. I applaud you. I thought at one time I was a strong determined woman, but this surgery has broke my spirit.

A little over 12 weeks of an up-side-down, inside out life. I'm so tired of pain and those who find it surprising that I still can't function without becoming swollen and hurting.

The one place that I looked forward to was physical therapy. Bah!!!! More like physical torture!!

Where have I lost my self-esteem? Why can't I find the guts to do what I think is right, instead of listening to what they think is right. I hate the thought of going. I literally feel sick to my stomach and feel like I'm in the edge if having a panic attack.

Monday my physical therapist says I'm only at 110 flex and has changed my exercises to a more aggressive plan and for me to be prepared to work hard for the next 5 sessions. I have 5 more sessions left of the 16 that have been approved by my insurance.

Needless to say Monday after therapy I became a lump for the rest of the day and the next. The swelling and pain was ridiculous.

The most difficult exercise is having to step up on an 8" step leading with the surgical leg, following with my good leg then down with the good followed with the bad ... That would be counted as 1. I have to do that 20 times.
Am I complaining about something I should be able to do?

Also he has me sit in a chair and stand up with my arms held out in front of me and then sit back down. 20 times. I can do this a few times before it starts not only to hurt my surgical left knee but also my arthritic right knee. I work through it by doing them slowly. He hasn't said anything yet about having to do them within a certain amount if time.

The above and more take an hour of my life 2X a week.

I think it's MY choice to go or not to go, but is it? What are the consequences? I'm such a wimp! Thanks for listening. It really helps to write stuff down.

One hour to go before PT.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
08/28/13
 
Lordy, if I were you I would stop going to PT and take care of you. You are not a wimp. You need to look at yourself with compassion and kindness. Take a few days to rest elevate and ice. Then begin very slowly as Josephine will no doubt suggest. Be good to you!!
 
Dear Probertson,
A bend of 110 is good. Really! It will continue to improve as time goes by, for up to a year, or even more. A lot of us here have had personal experience of that. We've seen it and we know it will happen.
The only reason your PT wants you to get more is so that you can be signed off to reach a certain number on their paperwork. That makes them look good, but it's not necessary for you.

You know that going to PT is going to make you hurt afterwards. That's your knee, telling you that it doesn't like what is happening. Please listen to it.

Numerous people have told you here that your PT is not doing your knee any good. The articles in the library should have told you that, too.

Please do what's right for your knee. Take your courage in both hands and make the decision to stop going to PT.
There's no need to talk to any of the PTs. Just don't go. They can't come to your house and drag you there. Your knee. Your body. Your life. Your decision! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Monday my physical therapist says I'm only at 110 flex and has changed my exercises to a more aggressive plan and for me to be prepared to work hard for the next 5 sessions.
I have one word of advice to you here - don't!
I think it's MY choice to go or not to go, but is it? What are the consequences?
Of course it's your choice. What he has given you to do it iniquitous if you are still in pain. And in my opinion, it's his fault you are still in pain! The consequences are that you will get less pain and, eventually, more ROM! Truly. Trust yourself. Celle is right - 110 isn't bad for 10 weeks which is actually quite early out in your recovery. ROM can go on increasing for up to 12 months - or didn't you read those articles I left for you in post #4 of this thread? The bottom group were all about people who had found increases that long after their op. So be assertive and refuse to be bullied by him any longer!
 
Probertson I agree with everything the veterans have told you. I told each physical therapist before even beginning that I belonged to this site and would only work to the point of discomfort and not pain. The outpatient physical therapist I have is an owner of the place I go to and she is wonderful but when I have to work with someone else for whatever reason I must repeat. Just Tuesday I was told by one of her employees that I would not get as far unless I went and pushed right into the pain. I refused. I think for your knee's sake you must take care of what the knee is telling you first and you will be surprised at how fast it heals. Good luck, I'll say a prayer all goes well for you and your continued healing. Take care of you and your knee
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom