TKR Pain and good support system

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love you guys!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
08/28/13
 
Did you not go to physical therapy ? You only did the bike 2x a day and stretches ? I would love to just do that. I'm curious to know your recovery exercises.

I had 4 weeks of home therapy where a PT came to the house. We had worked together before with my other knee, so I knew she was a "gentle" person and she knew my ability do the exercises. On the two days a week she came, we'd do about 30 minutes of very mild exercise. On the other 5 days of the week, I didn't do them at all. When I was lying down and thought of it, I'd do stretches and bends. I did a lot of massage on my knee to encourage my swelling to move upward into my lymph system. I walked from room to room as needed for bathroom and to get something to eat. I rested, iced and elevated a LOT on the couch. At night I would wrap my knee front and back in ice and sleep with the leg elevated. During the night I'd need to use the bathroom and so would also trade out the ice packs. Some nights I would get up and use the exercise bike for a few minutes (no more than 5 minutes). By about the 4th week, I was using the bike for 4-10 minutes most days.

But frankly, I never pushed things beyond the gentle bends and stretches along with the bike and some walking around the house. And I healed just fine with about 130 ROM now at 8 months. So I know it can work.
 
Wow.....I just read on down to see what this therapist is having you do......PLEASE STOP GOING!!!! Tell them at the next visit that you'd like him to print out the exercises he'd like you to do and you'll take that home and do them on your own there. They can do this and there is NO consequence. Then YOU can decide what is working and what is not. Don't be bullied into continuing to go there. Remember that your insurance approves a MAXIMUM number of visits. No one will complain if you need less than that....except maybe the therapist, but who cares!!! You are quite capable of doing exercises on your own. If there are any "difficult" ones, the guy can show them to you before you leave with the printout. I guarantee that your swelling will reduce and you'll feel better once you take control of this part of your recovery.
 
My physical therapist wants to stretch out my last 4 sessions. Instead of 2X a week he wants me to come back in 2 weeks and see how I progress on my own. The therapy was pretty intense so I haven't done any "exercises" Thursday or yesterday, other then dishes, cleaning up after the dogs in the back yard and dinner. Otherwise I've been resting my knee icing and elevating.

It's only 5am here and I'm awake again for the third time. I can't seem to sleep more then 3 hrs at a time I want to have some kind of plan for daily exercises that will increase my flex. Any ideas from you will be so appreciated.

The following exercises are what my therapist wants me to do. What do you think? Remember I'm in my 12 week?

1. Lay on the floor about 6 inches from the wall with my legs parallel up the wall with 2lb weight on my ankle. I'm suppose to let my leg come down the wall bending my knee allowing gravity and the weight to do this then I'm suppose to try to bend it as far as I can and hold for 30 seconds - 10x
Honestly I don't think I would do this on the floor. I don't think I would be able to get back up ...lol

2. Foot up on hearth of fireplace ... do lunges stretching the bend of my knee as far as I can stand it and hold for 10 seconds ... 20x

3. Lay on my stomach on the bed with my legs hanging off the end stretching the back of my knee... Then bend my knee up as far as I can... With a strap around my ankle I'm suppose to pull it further hold for 3 seconds and slowly put my leg back down Not using the strap to help. Wait 3 seconds and repeat 20x

I really need your advise. I want to go back to my therapist with a better measurement of bend. Remember I'm only at 110.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.







Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
08/28/13
 
Oh and I totally get what you mean about sleeping problems!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
This is what I think of his suggestions! :doh: Because .... you are only 10 weeks out and already have a ROM or 110 degrees which is FANTASTIC! #3 isn't too bad but only do about 5 reps once or twice a day maximum.
1. Lay on the floor about 6 inches from the wall with my legs parallel up the wall with 2lb weight on my ankle. I'm suppose to let my leg come down the wall bending my knee allowing gravity and the weight to do this then I'm suppose to try to bend it as far as I can and hold for 30 seconds - 10x
2. Foot up on hearth of fireplace ... do lunges stretching the bend of my knee as far as I can stand it and hold for 10 seconds ... 20x
3. Lay on my stomach on the bed with my legs hanging off the end stretching the back of my knee... Then bend my knee up as far as I can... With a strap around my ankle I'm suppose to pull it further hold for 3 seconds and slowly put my leg back down Not using the strap to help. Wait 3 seconds and repeat 20x

I want to go back to my therapist with a better measurement of bend. Remember I'm only at 110
You sound like a puppy dog wanting to please it's master! (just kidding!) Your ROM is superb for 10 weeks out and in the next 2-3 months or more, you will find it slowly builds up with normal living.
 
I guess that's what I'll do. Just normal daily stuff and a few stretches. Ill rest often and enjoy my 2 weeks off from my therapist.

Everyone have a great weekend cuz I am sure gonna try.

[Bonesmart.org] Pain and good support system



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
08/28/13
 
That's the idea! Relax for a bit. Be kind to yourself and to your knee.
Best wishes!
 
Good idea. You will enjoy the results that come from less torture and less swelling with more elevation and rest.
 
oh boy I was worn out just reading all your exercises...if it is any consolation I am at 10 weeks and my ROM is 70% so you are doing wonderful !! :flwrysmile:
 
Also he has me sit in a chair and stand up with my arms held out in front of me and then sit back down. 20 times. I can do this a few times before it starts not only to hurt my surgical left knee but also my arthritic right knee. I work through it by doing them slowly. He hasn't said anything yet about having to do them within a certain amount if time.

This is a good exercise but the PT needs to be conscious of your right knee. I had a similar issue. I don't recall him ever making me do 20 at once. Maybe build up to 20.
 
Is it possible to get fibromyalgia after having knee surgery? I know it sounds crazy but my whole knee cap and a little above it is tender to touch and it feels like a razor burn. I can hardly stand any material to touch my knee. I keep my pant leg rolled up and usually have just my knee hanging out from the blanket. There is one blanket I have that is kinda suede and I can lay it across my knee but it burns if it should move or slide across my knee. It's a horrible broken glass feeling. Weird!!

I've had some time off from PT and have been taking it easy, maybe too easy. I ride my bike , and still can't make a full rotation. I'm real close to be able to make a full rotation pushing the peddles backward, but not close pushing the peddles forward.

I was going back and forth on my bike today while on the phone with my daughter and she is a jabber jaws lol and did some intense bending exercises and was really hurting later tonite. I try not to take pain meds because my surgeon told me he isn't going to give me any more and I should go to my GP and maybe he will. So I'm trying to use them sparingly.

I go back to PT in a week and I really hope my flex has improved. Oh yea my knee hates it when I vacuum.

Well just touching base with ya's

: )



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
08/28/13
 
Good idea to go to primary doc for the meds. I too have the knee experience with anything touching it. There is a video on this site where a guy uses plastic wrap to protect it. I have been doing that and it works really well. I use it for bed at night and for when I am wearing long pants that scrape. The trick is to have it not get too tight and to take it off periodically so your knee can breath. It's a crazy sensation. I am doing better since I have been doing acupuncture, moxa, and gentle massage. Opening up the energy in the knee frees it from all the ricochet pain and some of the surface discomfort. I am also walking a lot better. It has essentially been a miracle and I feel more normal since I've been having the treatments. For the first time since the surgery. I encourage everyone to try it.
 
I think I might have done something wrong early in my recovery to heal properly. I thought I would be able to take my car for a car wash, go to the dollar store and find some things to use in my christmas crafting and the grocery store is right next store and thought I would pick up some things there. Simple little things. I made it through everything except the grocery store ... Barely because my daughter had to finish up for me. You would think after 11 weeks I would be able to complete these silly tasks.

Thank God my daughter was with me because I had to go out to my car. I couldn't bare the pain in my knee. I couldn't wait to get home. I now sit alone crying feeling sorry for myself because my knee won't cooperate with what my stupid brain tells it to do.

Some days I feel up and then like a car wreck I'm so depressed and feel useless. I try ... I really feel I try ... But nothing is good enough!! I have a PT appt in 6 days and if I'm not increasing my flex he is going to recommend a MUA??!!

I hate the pain and I'm going to be very honest with you. When working out I don't push as hard as I probably should because of that dam pain. It hurts so bad. I think my family is getting bored with me because of me not being me. I want me back!! The me right now is pathetic.

I wish I never had this surgery




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
08/28/13
 
I try ... I really feel I try ... But nothing is good enough!! I have a PT appt in 6 days and if I'm not increasing my flex he is going to recommend a MUA??!!
Not good enough for whom? The PT is not a doctor and even if the doctor recommends it you can still say no. Your informed consent, remember?
I hate the pain and I'm going to be very honest with you. When working out I don't push as hard as I probably should because of that dam pain. It hurts so bad.
Then I'll say it again - you are doing too much and not taking enough pain meds. This has been what we've been saying to you since the first day you posted but you are still doing it and still getting upset when things don't settle because you don't do what many of us here have urged you to do - slow down, take your pain meds and rest more. You don't push hard, never ever push hard - it's the most counterproductive thing you can do.

Get you pain meds sorted out with your GP and take them properly. That's the biggest part of your problem. You're only 11 weeks out. Stop trying to pretend you are 11 months out!
 
Agreed! I think Jo said it for all of us who have been trying to advise you to slow down. Please listen!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom