Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pain and good support system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since my OS gave me the injection my knee feels pretty good, but I think maybe I'm expecting too much from it.

I still can't be on it very long and that upsets me
I went to walmart this morning and only lasted about an hour before my knee became too painful to continue to shop. So I lay here in my recliner elevating an icing.

Should I be concerned at this stage of my recovery to still be limited to the time I spend standing and walking?

I'm curious to know when you were able to be more active and pain free.

Thanks : )


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
08/28/13
 
I'm very much afraid that's one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions!
You know what we say - everyone's different!
 
I know you are sick of hearing the word "Patience" - but it is only just over 3 months from your surgery and your knee is still not 100% healed yet. It doesn't yet have the stamina to be happy with long periods of standing or walking around. It still needs a rest from time to time - as you have found out.

If you can just hang in there this, too, shall pass!
 
It's been a while since I've posted anything here because I don't have anything good to report. Still having pain and my "good" knee is getting worse. The OS says we need to get better with the surgical knee before we do anything about the other knee. I totally agree with him on that. I still dread getting into a standing position from sitting. I did go grocery shopping but only after taking a pain pill an hour before I went. I was able to get it done but needed help bringing the groceries in from the car.
I found myself tearing up yesterday about this recovery, I haven't done that in a while but some days are just so hard to get through. 5 months of teeny weeny baby steps of feeling better... So depressed : (
 
:console2: :puppysmooze::kittykiss:

I can't help your knee, but maybe I can send some sympathy and comforting thoughts! :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
I think that you might consider a second opinion with another OS from a different practice. Just to set your mind at ease.
 
Hi Probertson ... Oh my, how I feel for you. I know what it is like after only 3 months of watching, waiting and hoping for any sign of improvement and when I get one, I usually have it dashed a couple of days later by a return to swelling and tightness and lack of bend. 5 months must be testing all your limits to the extreme. I know they will say it is still reasonably early and it can take up to 12 months, and sometimes longer, but the lack of any concrete sign of improvement is a real hit to your psyche. I'm not sure about waiting to recover the surgical knee. My right knee does need to be done and at the moment is in such a bad way that it locks constantly and is so painful. I sometimes think it would just be easier to have it done too, so that after recovery, however long it takes, I will have two good knees. At the moment, even if the surgical knee suddenly made a fantastic leap forward in recovery, I still wouldn't be able to do much because of the condition of the other knee.

I am so sorry you are feeling so depressed at the moment. I wish I could wave a magic wand for you and POOF - there would be a knee you could stand on and jump up from chairs with. Unfortunately all I can do is send my best wishes and comforting hugs. (((((((((((((((((((((HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Please keep posting. It is precisely when we do not have anything "good" to report that we need the forum and the help and support of others who understand exactly how we are feeling.

Take Care ... be kind to yourself ...
Ellen
 
:console2: I'm right there with you buddy. I just broke down for the first time and asked my GP today for something to battle this depression and anxiety. Long story, short Midlife crisis-emotional breakdown w/a side of peri menopause and knee replacement surgery thrown in for good measure. :rotfl: I think that qualifies me for a Happy Pill or 3, maybe you can ask our Dr for something to help you through the dark time of recovery.

I haven't taken mine yet cause I'm chicken. :scary:I'll start tomorrow.


Hang in there... :friends:As if we can opt out. :skep:
 
It's been almost 5 months for me since the initial surgery. I haven't checked in for awhile. I can relate to all of you. The knee definitely seems to have stages it goes through and then times when it is unpredictable and acts up. Just when I relax, if I do something out of the ordinary, the heavy symptoms of pain and stiffness return. I did 4 weeks of traveling over the holidays. Some of it was actually good for my knee- going up and down stairs in the subway in NYC ended up making me feel freer than I had felt in a very long time. It hurt, but I could move and I started to feel confident again. Returning home and to pt crushed it. PT was too strong and put me down for a few days. Haven't gone back, but will return for periodic assessments. I want to get my butt to the pool and hang out in water. One of the most difficult parts right now is still having the dvt and having to wear the stockings for travel and every day use when I am away from home. It helps a lot to wear the Teds, but they are hot and constricting. I start to feel like I can't breath. I wish the dvt would go away and I don't know how it will. I feel angry the meds weren't managed right immediately after surgery to prevent that from happening. Another disability added on to the others. My non-surgical knee is acting up now. It's like an uneven chorus of different kinds of pain. I also seem to have turned a corner with the menopause and now am having severe hot flashes. My body starts to feel like an enemy again and I try to reach for support to cope. Getting older is not what I expected and I get envious of others who don't live with chronic pain. What would that be like? So I have to let go of that and try to get and stay centered and be grateful for what I do have in this life and continue to move forward, learning and growing and taking care of myself the best that I can. Thank you for listening.
 
It's been quite a while since I've last posted anything so here goes.

I'm about 7 months post-op
My OS released me from his care even though I still have discomfort. He had me stand up from a sitting position and walk across the exam room and signed me off
I told him it still hurts to stand up from a sitting position an aches from time to time .. He said by the summer I should be better and if I had questions to call.

My daughter is having a baby in May and I need to fly 3000 miles, I'm nervous that I'm going to be in pain by the time I reach my destination. I take 800mg of ibuprofen for my day to day pain just hoping to be ok on the flight.

Another concern I have is the area right above my knee, from the top of my kneecap, up my thigh about 5" .. An area about as big as my hand is very sore. When I touch it it hurts like a terrible bruise would feel.

7 months!! And I really really thought I would have a pain free knee but I don't and my right knee is aching with arthritis like my left one did, but my OS doesn't want to touch it until my surgical knee is better. : /
 
Hi Probertson
I am right near you in recovery date. My total right knee replacement was 8/1/13. I am still having the day to day aches and pains but for the most part at 7 months, not to bad. I try and do as much as I can and them I rest . I guess it will just be that way for a while. What I wanted to say is I flew from New York to San Diego in November to see my son. I was really down, frustrated, crying off and on and just generally miserable. I hadn't seen my son in a few months and that was making things worse. So guess what, I called my OS, got his permission to fly and did so all by myself! I arranged for wheelchair service at the layover airport, and the return airport, which is wonderful by the ways they meet you when you get off the flight and take you right to your gate.
I spent 5 wonderful days in Cali. I spent time on the beach, laying around,went out to eat, hung out and caught up with him and his girlfriend and had a wonderful time! I did wear my Ted stockings both ways on the flights, popped an aspirin for good measure and was off. I was a little stiff at the end of the flight but got up and walked around a few times during. It's about 5 & 1/2 hour flight from here. Not to bad at all. I used my pain meds as I needed them, but less then you would think. I think it was the best thing I have done in a long time and if you should decide to go, make sure you call the airline and arrange for a wheelchairs takes that worry right off the table! Enjoy every minute,trust me you will be surprised how well you will do!!'
 
Thank you!! I'm flying from LAX to Philly you just made me feel more relaxed
The wheelchair is a good idea. I don't have pain pills I pop 4, 200mg of Motrin it takes the edge off but a pain pill would be so much better. You would of swore I was a druggie when I asked for a script when I was in the first few weeks of recovery. Getting pain pills from my dr is impossible.
I'm not familiar with the socks your talking about Do I need to get them from a doctor?
 
Hi,
Yea, not sure why the physicians make you feel like a drug seeker when you ask for pain meds. It's getting worse! & ridiculous!!! Maybe your GP, or a pain management office near you. That's who I see now, I have some other issues also, but they are wonderful and never make you feel bad when you are hurting and need something a little stronger the motrin. Like Josephine said once. You need pain meds because you are having pain, when you no longer have pain, you don't need the pain meds. Simple as that. The stockings I am talking about were given to me in the hospital after surgery to prevent DVG. They are just compression stockings. Look at any home healthcare store and they carry them. You could probably order them from amazon. My OS recommended I wear them on the flight and get up and move around a little if possible. It was mostly to the ladies room because anymore,there is nowhere to go, haha!! Like I said, cal the airline when you make your reservation, they will ask you details, times, airports etc. then they will literally meet you and off you go. Best advice I ever got from a friend. No rushing to the gate, trying to find a gate, anything. They are absolutely wonderful. They will even stay while you go through security, plus you get through faster,then take you right to the boarding area. I had never known you could do that. If by some chance they are not there, tell the flight attendant right away that you need assistance. They will call for a wheelchair, but this is the second time I have flown a long way,with layover and used them. (I have had 3 replacements on the same knee in 4 years) but that's a whole other story :))
Let me know how you make out, you won't believe what a change of scenery like that will do for you both mentally and physically.
 
A lot of us take a year or so to get "normal." You may still have some soft tissue healing to do. Best wishes that time takes care of it.
 
Hi Probertson, I was going through similar issues at 7 months (TKR on left knee July 9, 2013, then a MUA, then *another* MUA, b/c of stubborn adhesions. Arrgh!) I was really pretty despondent that recovery was taking so long, but I learned to look at my progress week by week instead of day by day.

And there has been progress! At 9 months, my operated leg is stronger, I'm walking a little more each day, doing my recumbent bike at least an hour a day to stay flexible, and now there is rarely any pain (knock on wood). The operated knee is still bigger than the other knee, and sometimes warm to the touch; my Dr. said that's not unusual as there is often some swelling even a year after surgery.

For the swelling -- you know the mantra, ice-and-elevate! I actually overdid it, b/c I heard that so often, and would leave a cold pack on for an hour at a time. What I learned late in the game was that icing should only be for 20 minutes, then at least 2 hours off, b/c otherwise it's counter-productive. [a PT explained it to me and it made sense, but unfortunately I can't remember right now...something about how too much icing at once can deaden the nerves and end up causing *more* inflammation...? maybe someone else here can explain that properly :)]
As for painkillers -- it's ridiculous that you can't get some from your Dr.! Get another Dr.!
I haven't had to take Norco [aka Vicodin] much recently -- I went from counting the minutes until I could take my next dose, in the weeks post-op, to just taking one before physical therapy sessions, to one every night or so when there was pain, to....well, none, really, for the past 2 months.

All this to say, get a prescription for a real pain killer to help on your flight. My Dr. and my PTs all said, it's not addictive, as long as you just use it for pain management.

My recovery has taken so long (IMO) that I had to XL a trip to Paris in November. I'm hoping to get there later this year, now that my knee is bending almost like normal.
The wheelchair suggestion is brilliant. With that and a Vicodin, your flight should be smooth and easy -- have a wonderful trip! And best of luck on your continued recover. ;-D

Deb Mc.
p.s. Deb R -- 3 replacements on the same knee!!!? OMG!
 
For the swelling -- you know the mantra, ice-and-elevate! I actually overdid it, b/c I heard that so often, and would leave a cold pack on for an hour at a time. What I learned late in the game was that icing should only be for 20 minutes, then at least 2 hours off, b/c otherwise it's counter-productive. [a PT explained it to me and it made sense, but unfortunately I can't remember right now...something about how too much icing at once can deaden the nerves and end up causing *more* inflammation...? maybe someone else here can explain that properly :)]
!

That PT was misinformed. She/he told you wrong. Here on BoneSmart, we advise to ice for as long as you can, as often as you can. As long as you put something (a small towel, or similar) between the ice pack and your skin, it does no harm and it works!

@Josephine any comments?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom