TKR Pain and good support system

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Jo. You can't do the exercises with out the meds. This recovery demands that we stay in close contact with our inner self and listen to our body. We can't stay in the mind and just do what the mind thinks we can do. Pacing is hard to learn and it is the lesson with this recovery. Returning back to a centered state is important to assess where you are at and what you need. There are no quick fixes for this process. It is a long recovery; one that most of us are not used to. The frustration can be extreme. Figure out ways to cope and use those tools. Changing the norm of how we do things is essential to the recovery and both challenging and rewarding. There are limitations to accept and goals met to celebrate. Maybe a therapist can help you get through the very real issues involved in this process. I know that it has been helping me as I accept this temporary disability. (PS I have fibromyalgia and what you described in your post recently does not sound like FM. It seems more related to the healing of the knee as all the muscles, tendons, etc. are trying to embrace the product in your knee. The Saran Wrap really works.)
 
There is no magical date. You still need to listen to your knee. It's not a failure to need meds and pace yourself.
Remember that in the short run, sure, you are limited and feel frustrated. But you are still healing. If you listen to Jo and the other "smarties" you will find yourself doing better.
 
I felt you when you said you wanted you back. And that you fear that your family is getting bored with you. I so get that.
As far as your knee recovery goes you WILL get yourself back. You will. And when you do you will be glad that you had this surgery believe it or not. When I was in my 2nd week I looked at my husband and said to him "if I ever talk about having this done again remind me how miserable I am now". But we do get through it and we come out stronger!
My heart goes out to you.
 
Oh dear, poor probertson! We are having a go at you aren't we? But if it's any comfort, I just spoke with an old nursing friend of mine. We go back years and she's always been the impatient kind. This time she told me she's been laid up for AGES with shingles around her chest and even ended up in hospital because it was so severe. Only now she's told me she's totally fed up playing an invalid and has decided to just get up and get on with her life. At first I applauded her and sympathised on how it can seem to go on forever. "Oh yes" she replied "it's been absolutely ages and I just can't stand it anymore". So I asked her when it started - came the answer - two weeks ago! :doh: Now there's an impatient person for you! And she's British!
 
Just a little update

Haven't had PT for 2 weeks. I took this opportunity to rest, even though physical therapist gave me a list of exercises to do. I pretty much haven't done barely anything, except for an occasional load of laundry, prepare dinner, and the normal up and down to go to the bathroom or shower.

As far as any exercise just doing some knee bends and stretches, nothing intense at all. Basically sitting in recliner elevating an icing.

I have a lot of pain in my knee ( 6 level) and calf after preparing a simple dinner. My knee gets very stiff and can barely bend it at all. I remedy this by massaging the heck out of my calf and thigh, and taking a pain pill, which my surgeon said he is no longer going to prescribe for me and suggested I go to my GP. The swelling hasn't gone down ever.

It will be interesting to hear what my physical therapist is going to say tomorrow.

I have an appt with my surgeon on the 3rd and my GP on the 2nd.

Still haven't been able to sleep more then 3 hours 4 at the very most at a time.

Just sayin and still miserable


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
08/28/13
 
[Bonesmart.org] Pain and good support system



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
08/28/13
 
Perhaps you are on your feet too long and therefore swelling and stiffening and pain? Are you taking the time to ice and elevate periodically throughout the day? I am guilty of that myself so I understand the consequences.
And I get the need for pain pills. I still take them although not quite as often. This is just a very long process and I have found that MOST doctors are NOT compassionate when it comes to pain.
I hope today is better. Be gentle with yourself!
 
Yeahhhhh Saran Wrap is working!!
Whew! Thank you thank you thank you!

[Bonesmart.org] Pain and good support system



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
08/28/13
 
Omg my leg is in so much pain. My thigh feels like I was hit with a baseball bat, my knee is throbbing and my calf is hurting too. I've been massaging the heck out of my calf and thigh and no relief . Pain pill isn't cutting the pain.

I'm gonna call my surgeon tomorrow but I don't think he's in his office tomorrow.
What do you think is happening ? I'm getting scared ... Could it be a blood clot or infection?


I did barely anything today so it's not that I'm overdoing it. Actually the pain is so bad I couldn't do anything if I wanted. It's making me feel nauseous


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
08/28/13
 
Pain meds and ice working ... Whew!! I think I was having a panic attack. Lol
Still calling the doc in the morning
: )


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
08/28/13
 
I've been massaging the heck out of my calf and thigh and no relief
Then stop massaging it! Remember to treat your leg gently. Any issues like this should be dealt with using just ice and elevation and the pain pills of course.

I'm so sorry you had a panic attack. I know that that feels like - had a couple myself during my recovery.
 
Yes, so sorry you had a panic attack. We all seem to be very fragile emotionally after this surgery. I guess it comes with the territory.
I remember having a couple of meltdowns worthy of a two-year old at its worst. :yikes: My poor husband - he was being so good and he just didn't deserve the way I screamed at him!
 
Went to my surgeon today ... I have scar tissue around my knee so my doctor gave me a shot in the side of my knee ... OUCH

He said that it should help loosen up the scar tissue and to stop going to physical therapy they are being too aggressive and I should do some exercises at home. He also refilled my pain meds.

I go back in a week and according to him I should be a lot better and walking without the cane. I guess I should of told him about how painful PT was for me earlier. My bad

Happy turkey day everyone!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
08/28/13
 
He said .... to stop going to physical therapy as they are being too aggressive and I should do some exercises at home.
Hmmm .... wonder where I heard that before?
[Bonesmart.org] Pain and good support system


But :yes!: and good for him!
 
I was able to do full rotation on my recumbent bike!!!! Omg what an accomplishment.

I think I'm starting to believe my new knee is going to become my best friend lol

My pain level is at a 3 that is like a headache.

I baked to pumpkin pies today and they sure smell yummy

Happy holidays everyone


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
08/28/13
 
He said that it should help loosen up the scar tissue and to stop going to physical therapy they are being too aggressive and I should do some exercises at home. He also refilled my pain meds.
WOW!! A OS that actually can follow the Bonesmart Mantra! I believe that this is a great move for you!

I go back in a week and according to him I should be a lot better and walking without the cane.
Do not worry about deadlines. you knee sets them; not your OS nor you.

I was able to do full rotation on my recumbent bike!!!! Omg what an accomplishment.
Congratulations!!! That is a tremendous milestone!!!

I think I'm starting to believe my new knee is going to become my best friend lol
Yes, there are trying times, but that is what make these small victories (as well as the knee implant) so important! You are doing fine.

You have much to be thankful for---and you will keep seeing progress.
 
I was able to do full rotation on my recumbent bike!!!! :yes!:
Well done ... what a fantastic feeling that would have been. I was sorry to read you had a lot of pain and a panic attack. Glad that has passed for you.

I have never tried pumpkin as a pie filling. Over here we eat it pumpkin roasted or mashed, along with our meat and stuff, or cook it and put it in a salad or make soup out of it.

Hope the pain continues to be at a low level for you and your recovery goes smoothly in the future.

Have a beautiful day ... :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom