TKR Pain after 2 years

She also has me doing squats ( I only go as low as comfortable), and squishing a ball that between my knee and a wall.
Both of those sound mighty bad for a brand new knee. It has to do a lot of healing still. Too much exercise will slow it down.
 
My step ups started at 4", then gradually increased to 6", and finally 8" right before discharge. Step downs started at 2", then went to 4" after a couple of weeks, then 6" right before discharge. So I would think that you are doing too much, in my opinion.
 
Is it common to still feel occasionally fatigued 9 weeks out? I have days when I feel like running a marathon, and days when I just want to sleep all day.
 
Yes. Your body is taking as much energy as possible to heal, and has no idea that you might want some. Don't worry about it.
 
Absolutely!!! I was still quite fatigued at 9 weeks after working all day . . and often on the weekends at least one of the days I was good for nothing . . . I think you will find that somewhere between months three and four you will turn a corner in terms of fatigue. You are still in the "dog" days of recovery . . . it sure tests your patience doesn't it?
 
Mine either, which often lands me in the ODIC (overdid it club) because I try to do more than the knee is ready for . . . . I do remember around the 2-3 month mark having a couple of low energy, discomfort days that brought me to tears. Those days are mostly past now so there is a light, somewhere, down this long tunnel of recovery.
 
Yesterday,I fed my critters, rode my 4-wheeler down in the pasture to check on the cows, then cleaned stalls, took a shower (obviously!) then did a 4 hour shopping trip with mom. Today, I fed my critters, did a 20 minutes Exercycle ride, 40 crunches, 40 bicep curls (20 each arm with 10 pound weights), knee flexes, and a 20 minute walk up and down hill..now I feel like Pacman after the ghosts got him! Hoping a couple of cups of coffee will energize me, since I have to take the hubby to work at 1300. My sleep pattern is a little better.. 4 hours before waking up at 0400 and going back to sleep at 0430. I then usually wake up a 0730. ( I go to sleep around midnight).
 
Yep Roy.. after reading my post I'm like " holy cow, did I just do all of that?" I get in a groove and get busy, then don't pay attention to how busy I am!
 
I go back to the surgeon for a checkup on the 26th.. I'm hoping he'll release me for work, and horseback riding! As of last friday, ( I do PT 3 days a week), I'm at a 113 bend and 7 straight.. which is more bend and straight than before my surgery. I also had a mcl repair with tkr, and had to wear a total leg brace for 6 weeks. I'm still having moderate pain on the outside kneecap, but I've discovered that a compression brace (sock?) helps. Anybody have any other tips?
 
i don't have any tips but i think you are a very strong lady to do all that you do. i'm almost 5 months post op and i do get fatigued, but not having naps in the day anymore. i sometimes nod off after dinner, cleaning up and coffee just when we're watching one of our murder mystery series and i have to ask hubby if we got any more clues while i nodded off lol! :yawn:do try to get some rest after your busy days ~ you don't want to wear yourself out.
 
liam2015.. thank you for the compliment! I'm trying to build up my strength in preparation for going back to work.. since I work at a very physical job! It irritates me that I can only walk for 20 minutes before the knee starts whining.
 
@G.i.jane you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if necessary
 
Nice to get an update from you! Things will continue to improve for you. Stamina and strength will come, just need to be, dare I say....patient! :)
 
@G.i.jane , yowza! I needed a nap after reading this, lol! You are one strong woman, but....give yourself a break, ok? Great to hear from you!:SUNsmile:
 
Glad to hear from all of y'all too! I've figured out I can walk uphill.. but downhill is painful, and I CAN jog approximately 3 steps when my weenie dog starts to roll on a dead frog! I'm still figuring out my strengths and limitations. Oh, and I can now sleep on my stomach, and hog the bed again.. lol!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom