Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pain after 2 years

Let me run some out to you:hiking: I should get there in, hmm, maybe a week if I really stay focused!:fingersx:
 
No problem! Lacing up my sneakers as we speak! Fortunately I have purchased Extra Strength Tylenol in bulk, so I have plenty to share!:happydance:
 
Whoop whoop! I'm able to stand and walk around for 45 minutes before The loving Knee starts whining.. I was actually able to give duh hubby a haircut and the dog a bath! Baby steps..:yes!:
 
WooHoo!:wowspring: At first I read it as you gave your hubby a bath and your dog a haircut!:rofsign: My brain is so fried!:hissy:
 
I'm out of Tylenol right now.. so it's the ibuprofen route for me.
You can get Tylenol without prescription. Please ask someone to get you some more.
Ibuprofen, being an NSAID (anti-inflammatory) is not really that great as a pain reliever and it has some dangerous side effects. It can cause severe gastric bleeding and recent studies have shown that it can pre-dispose you to heart disease.
NSAIDs Diclofenac. ibuprofen increase risk of heart problems: new study
 
My PT is wanting to start me on light weights on my next session ( tomorrow). What kind of experiences have y'all had with them? She's talking about 2lb ankles weights .
 
You don't need any kind of weights at this point. That will really make the flipping knee angry with you, and I am still a few states away on my hike to get the Tylenol to you!:hiking:
 
My PT did not have me use weights or bands on my ankles, legs, or wherever else (although near the end of my time I was using the leg press machine, but personally wouldn't recommend that either). She also continuously warned me that if anything caused pain I should stop it immediately. Discomfort was ok. Despite my always asking for "more" at PT because I wanted to push myself, the PT would smile and remind me that I was doing well and that I "would get there", wherever "there" is.
 
Ok.. thanks! I'm using weights on my upper body, but I just use my recumbent bike and do stretches and flexes on The Flipping Knee. My PT also has me doing leg raises, hamstring stretches, and stepping up on steps with The Flipping Knee.
 
Stepping up and down onto steps is tough on a new knee. The other exercises while stretching and flexing are better for you. The bike is also an excellent exercise as long as the resistance is set on low.
 
:happydance:But, on a happy note, last night was the first night I could sleep in my bed WITHOUT having to prop up The Flipping Knee with a pillow!
 
Yay for you about sleeping without props!!:wowspring: How high of a step are they having you use for step ups and step downs?
 
As for weights on the ankle... please don't. My PT put 1 pound weights on my ankles at 6 weeks out and had me do some lifts. That night my knees were terribly sore, and the next day was a "stiff and try hard not to limp" walking day. The day after that, I could walk normally again. The reason my PT gave for wanting to do weights was because I was "doing so well." I was doing well because I wasn't over-exercising my knees. I wasn't doing his dumb exercises at home. I refused to ever do weights again. I refused leg presses, too, on my OS guidelines of "No strength training." I should have listened, because weights are strength training.

Also, I did the step ups. The ones I did were not high at first. They got a little higher before I quit PT, but never as high as a stair step. I was at 6 weeks when I started them, though. If you don't like them, or they hurt for any reason, just refuse to do them.
 
Fire wolf.. just an"normal step.. guessing about 6-7 inches tall. I can do 20 of them with no pain. She also has me doing squats ( I only go as low as comfortable), and squishing a ball that between my knee and a wall.
 
Back
Top Bottom