TKR Pain 2 years after TKR

You've got this @Mollymax! You've been there done that and know what it's like and what to do. This time next week it'll be over and you'll be on the way to a good recovery. Let the family help in whatever way they can.
In a side note we went to a dinner dance last night. I didnt dance (didn't want to) but lots of standing around with drinks chatting. My knees were stiff and sore overnight and a bit swollen this morning. They haven't felt like that for ages. Hope you survive the ceilidh OK!
 
Survived the ceilidh. Didn't dance except to a very slow dance with hubby. Frank a little too much but hey ho it was a party. Home now and knees not too bad. Tomorrow will be a busy day getting things organised for Wednesday.
 
I'm glad you had a good time at the party and that your knee behaved itself!
 
OK nerves are really bad tonight. Feeling very sick, didn't sleep last night and doubt I will tonight. Bag packed ready for the morning. Need to be away by 6.30am. Scared stiff again .
 
@Mollymax. Its funny I haven't been on here much and I just went on and saw your post.Don't worry it is out of your hands.You have been through this before.You will be so happy to have this behind you.Be kind to yourself.

All the best.:tree2;:tree lights:
 
Maybe time to change the name to Molly Max 2nd recovery... Lol.
 
Maybe time to change the name to Molly Max 2nd recovery... Lol.
I've changed your thread title for you , Molly.

Best wishes for your surgery. I'm looking forward to hearing from you, once you can post again. Meanwhile, here are the recovery articles for you again:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs


The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Please don't be overwhelmed by the list. The articles are not long and they and contain information that will answer many questions and help you make your recovery much easier on your knee and on you.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Good luck! Looking forward to hearing from you!
 
Operation now over with. Been back on ward 3hrs now. Guess what - no tears.. Yes none at all. No meltdown. I willed myself to relax and they got the spinal much faster than last time. Been OK since I got back but pain has started kicking in. Just asked for my first pain relief as it is getting sore. Surgeon said I was to get up but still waiting for physio before I am allowed up. Think once pain relief kicks in I will be asking about getting up to the loo. Will come back later and let you know how things are. Just now I am waiting for the pain relief to kick in.
 
Congratulations, it’s done!Onto the healing!:santaclap:
 
Spoke too soon. Got up for the loo and the room went round in circles. Was so dizzy and thought I was going to pass out. Had to get oxygen and put back to bed. BP too low as is temperature so they are trying to heat me up. Pain has got quite bad so now had second lot of meds. Can get them every hour so I will be asking for them. This seems more painful than last time
 
Oh gosh poor you. I’m sure you’ll get well looked after by the staff and soon be feeling a bit better. My 2 knees have been so different. We just know it’s never straightforward.:console2:
 
Glad to hear you're on the other side of the op. Sorry about the pain but it's not surprising considering what's happened to your knee. It will pass! It sounds like you're being well looked after. I hope you can manage a good night's sleep (or even just a reasonable one!). Will check in on you tomorrow
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom