TKR Pain 2 years after TKR

After posting yesterday I went outside to a set of shallow steps and practised going up and down stairs using alternating feet. It was hard at first especially going down but it sort of loosened off and became easier. Not much but enough to encourage me. I then walked up four flights of stairs to our flat using alternating feet. That was fine. I was tired out and fell asleep and dreamt that I was going up and down stairs!! It really showed me that practising helps. No after effects either. It's all progress.
 
I've been thinking about @Mollymax 's comment re potential' psychological' reasons re problems with stairs. It's funny but nowadays every time I come to a step/staircase I pause. I have to make a conscious decision which leg to start with I look at people who just run up or down without hesitation. I don't suppose I'll ever be like that again.
 
I walked downstairs backwards foot over foot (holding the rail of course) as an intermediate step. It was a suggestion from the PT of one of my BS friends when I had my first knee done - my PT thought it was brilliant - I would not recommend without a railing - but it worked for me.
 
Yes one day you will do steps foot over foot going up and down. I used to stop at the top of the steps, get my bearings, then proceed. Now, don’t even think about.
 
Yes that is me. I stop at top of stairs and have to think how to go down them. I am trying to do one after the other but can only do it holding onto the rail on one side and hand on the opposite wall for balance and even then I have to concentrate.
Only one journey a day won't be any good in my house as my bathroom is upstairs. I would go stir crazy stuck in the bedroom all day. Hopefully we will go to caravan once out of hospital but can only stay there till end January as the site closes for the month of February so I will need to be able to do steps by then. Just a matter of making the brain work I think.
 
Gosh a caravan in January will be pretty chilly. If you can go up and down one step at a time that should be OK. No rush. Just make sure those dogs aren't around to trip you up!
 
It's a big static on a residential site. Full central heating so it's not cold. Plenty people live there for the 11 months of the year. So I won't be cold. Mind you I will decide nearer the time We go down every weekend throughout the year including Christmas and New year.
 
Sounds lovely. Nice place to recover. You'll be all set by the Spring (well maybe more like Summer!)
 
Och you never know @Mollymax. Prepare for the worst but hope for the best! Next year is going to be a big year for you - freedom from work and from painful knees!
 
@Spex10 oh yes I am so looking forward to it all. Did a 4.5 mile walk with the dogs today. So frustrated because left knee is so good and right is so so bad and painful. It really doesnt like going down a slope of any kind. End up walking on tip toe on that leg on the hills. Mind you left knee isn't liking the cold down here as at caravan this weekend.
 
My knees are feeling better by the day. I can go up and downstairs now on opposing feet albeit slowly. The main problem is standing up from sitting but even that is less awkward now than even a week or so Once you get your other knee done you'll feel so much better! Roll on 12th Dec.
 
Pre assessment done today and all is well. Surgeon just as good as she. Remembers all the things I freak out about. Physio says my knee is well out of alignment and that is the reason I am in so much pain with the hip left side. It's getting worse by the day. Can barely sit fir any time and sleeping is bad but it's due to the hip pain. Limping badly but physio watched me walking and said its all stemming from right knee now that left one is good. So only just over 4 weeks till I get second new knee.
 
Did my first hill walk today. Well it wasn't a big hill but big enough..lol. I was slow going up by got to the top. Coming down was a different story. My knee wobbled several times but then also seemed to lock up a few times. I was out with hubby and actually asked him how to walk. I asked him did his knee bend when going down hill. The bad knee I understand but my new knee was my concern. Its nearly 5 the now and I thought it would be stronger. Is it the knee or the muscles? Sorry to ask what must seem silly questions. I am just worried because in 3 weeks I get other knee done.

Can I ask if I start a new thread for my recovery for new knee after the operation or carry on with this one? I feel this one gets lost a bit now. Sorry folks
 
Can I ask if I start a new thread for my recovery for new knee after the operation or carry on with this one?
Some members start a new thread for the other knee, and some continue with both in one thread.

My personal opinion is since they are so close together, and you will most likely talk about both, I suggest you continue in this thread. We often read back through the thread to check your history before we can answer a new question. If they are both here it will be easier for you, rather than tracking down the other thread for whichever knee you are discussing.

I’m past a year and I’m still uncomfortable going downhill. It takes longer to get better at that for most of us.
 
Thanks Jockette. I thought there was something wrong that I struggled to go down the hill. It was quite a strange feeling in my knee. The other one is just painful. When I saw the surgeon last week for next operation she asked how the operated Knee felt. She asked I felt it was heavy. She said that will pass in time. The lymphodema in that leg doesn't help and keeps the knee more swollen unfortunately.
I will continue with this thread then as I am sure I will need the help and friendship from everyone after next op especially in the middle of the night. I must admit I am not looking forward to the sleepless nights again. Hubby will be banished to the spare room again..lol.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom