Operation now over with. Been back on ward 3hrs now. Guess what - no tears.. Yes none at all. No meltdown. I willed myself to relax and they got the spinal much faster than last time.
Didn't sleep at all ... Well I dozed from 3.30 to 5am. Didn't need much top up pain relief during the night. Was teary but that was frustration at not sleeping. Up and dressed. Walked up and down ward on crutches. Bypassed the zimmer frame which is good. Sitting in chair at side of bed with ice on my knee. Surgeon wants me to sit with knee down instead of lying on bed. Suggesting I may get out later today or tomorrow which is earlier than last time.
Sounds like you're on track. Let your knee be your guide. It'll be wonderful to be back at home in your own bed (with own bathroom!) Just doze off as and when you can. Naps can add up over the course of a day. I know what you mean about lying awake being stressed because you can't sleep!
Hospital ice machine is broken so no ice. ROM is 65. It hurts. Haven't even managed to doze today. Trying not to now so I hopefully sleep tonight. Need to up the hourly meds for tonight. Cannula taken out ready for home tomorrow. 9 Can get a shower here in morning. How I am going to manage when home I don't know. Had physio today but only 4 exercises and not to push if it hurts. It's definately sorer than last time folks
Be much better when you can get home and have your own ice. Isn’t it strange how hospital practices vary so much. No ice for me in hospital and no shower for 2 weeks. (I’m just down the way from you in the North of England.) Did get lent a perching stool so I could sit down for a wash!
My second knee hurt less than first to start with but the recovery seems much longer . Today excruciating pains all down the back of my leg. Tomorrow it will be something else.
Hope you get some good painkillers and a better night sleep tonight.
@Newboots we had ice this morning but none when this afternoon came. Hasn't got hubby to get the frozen peas in. I have a waterproof dressing on which stays on for the 14 days so can shower from tomorrow. It was fine the last time. Again I don't have staples. Fab surgeon because she knows my fears.
Back of leg is sore but I do remember that from last time. I feel pain is more this time. Will see how things go on over next few days.
You are only a couple of months into your recovery. Keep in touch and let me know how things are going for you
Oh boy it's the pain that is waking me up tonight. Sleep for 1hr at a time then have to ask for oromorph on the hour every hour. Then wait till it kicks in before going to the loo. Sleeping in between until now. Having to use the strap to even move leg in my bed. These nurses are so good at looking after you. They work so hard. Plenty praise for them.
I like the fact I can go back and see what I was saying on this day last time and see if better or worse. Of to look back for update.. Lol
Thought tonight was worse than in June but just read back and feel so much better as pain is the same as this night with last knee op. Love this site. It's like a diary..
So interesting for you to compare notes with last time. It bodes well for the pain to recede a bit in the next wee while. Glad you could grab at least a little sleep. Home today? I see we're due heavy snow tomorrow. Might be as well to get home ASAP or hang on in hospital until the weather sorts itself out?
I completely agree. What a difference kind nurses can make.
The previous surgery is like giving birth. We forget how much that birthing hurt and we forget how much the first tkr hurt! Next year this time, you'll forget how bad this one hurts, too!
First night at home and boy it hurts. Sleeping off and on. Just had my oromorph. You can have it hourly in hospital but can only take it every 6hrs st home. Have done an online freezer shop so it's delivered in morning. It comes between 10 and 12 today. So at least some easy cook food in the house. Hubby doesn't cook so this is easy for him.
Must try move my leg a bit more in the morning as I feel it is stiffening up.
Off to look back this day in June ...
Oh dear. Posting in the middle of the night. Its very early days yet as you know. This time next week you'll feel better. Its a matter of one day at a time (as you also know!). Sorry about the platitudes.
Re cooking: your husband will just plain have to be the cook now. You be sure and hold back. Let him learn- it's about time he did!
Are you going to try to doze away the day or have you something good to read or watch on TV? Might the family be round to see how the invalid is? Whatever happens, you're on the way up and back to your old self!
Morning. Slept pretty well with only that one wake time in middle of the night. Was so tired that I slept from 8.30pm through to 8am. Taken the painkillers again. My actual knee doesn't feel too bad but the calf is absolute agony. I wonder if this could be to do with the stairs I have to climb. I really don't want stuck in the bedroom as toilet is upstairs too but I think climbing the stairs several times since I came home may have caused the calf to ache. I always worry about blood clots having had one years ago and scared calf pain is that. My sensible brain says not as it's just the stairs causing it.
Knee not happy at bending this morning though. Meds taken so hopefully pain will ease soon. Apart from 2 paracetamol I can't take anything stronger for 6 hours now.
Its going to be a lazy day. I doubt daughter will come to visit as she has a poorly child and other daughter lives too far away with no transport.
Wow a full night’s sleep that’s pretty good ! I had a lot more calf pain this time round but preferred it to the thigh pain from previous knee !I live on first floor as garage is on ground floor so have two flights of stairs . Maybe you’re right about stairs causing the calf pain.
anyway glad you’re back safe and sound cus it looks like we’re in for a wintry day. Just right for a lazy day. Sounds like ice is going to be a problem outside so I don’t think I’ll be going out for a walk!
Hope you have a relatively good day.
Take it easy. Having a good night's sleep is a great thing. Best to monitor the calf pain. Is it hot, tight and sore? You could phone NHS 24 for advice if you're worried or even the ward you were d/c from? I assume you're taking the blood thinners too or are you doing the injections?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.