TKR Pain 2 years after TKR

@Newboots it was a blessing to sleep right through but I think I was so shattered I really needed it. I don't expect that to happen too often. I had thigh pain last time but so far not this time. Front of leg is tight. Trying to do the ankle flexing to keep circulation going.
Spex10 it's not hot or red so I am not too worried just now. Yes I have 35 days of blood thinning tablets to take.
I have the cheek to be tired and sleepy after that marathon sleep but I could fall asleep right now. Down stairs for a bit now.
 
Calf and front of leg is tight and sore but I know things can be different. No 2 knees will be the same. Can't believe I am letting it worry me after being so good and brave till now. Another difference so far is I can lift my leg up on to bed and sofa without the strap. Can anyone tell me if your calf and front of leg was tight and sore after operation. Its sore to touch too. I am only just out of hospital and don't want to go phoning them for something which may be nothing after all I think of all the banging and moving and all the work done it doesn't just affect the front of my knee does it? Can't believe the difference this time round
 
@Mollymax. Try really hard not to compare knees.My left knee gave me so much grief at first thigh pain and grossly swollen and the incision wouldn't close at the bottom etc etc.But and this is so funny how things work out,my left knee might be the "better one" after all.I will bore everybody on my own thread with the details

Just rest and concentrate on getting your strength back.You have been through a lot this year.I know it is near Christmas but try not to do too much.:reindeerlights:
 
If you feel sleepy then sleep!
Re your calf pain : maybe the underlying tissues in that area have been pulled about a bit more than in your last op? I had thigh pain with the most recent TKR but not with the previous one. I hope it settles soon.
 
Since you have calf pain, Molly, I think you should let your surgeon know - just in case you have a DVT. It probably isn't that, but get it checked, just to be sure.
 
Yes had the calf and the front of leg pain this time round and also swollen foot and ankle.preferred it to the thigh pain last time. Mostly gone now. And same as you could lift my leg up after 2 days. Years ago I had phlebitis in that ankle so thought it might be an issue.
Hope your calf pain goes soon.
Sat here watching Strictly Come Dancing Finale thinking maybe one day a bit of dancing?:egypdance:
Hard to imagine I know!
 
Calf and front of leg is more sore than the Knee tonight. If it isn't any easier tomorrow I will call the ward I was on to ask advice. You are probably right Celle that it isn't a Dvt but better getting it checked. Off to bed now as pain is bad so meds taken and hope it eases off.
 
In pain, waiting for 1am to come round so I can take more morphine.
 
Oh dear. I think you're quite right to check up re that calf pain. Got to hope it's not a DVT. Please let us know how you got on.
 
Restless night. Had to sleep propped up as leg hurt too much when I lay down. Was counting the minutes between pain relief. Tired today. Starting to feel a bit nauseous. I think it was by this time after last op the nausea crept in. My calf seems to have eased a bit. It's not brick hard this morning like it was yesterday. Shin sore to the touch still. I guess I do need to think about all that has been done to my leg that every bit of the leg will ache. Still not managed the loo despite all the Laxido and sennacot I have taken. Oh well today is another day.
 
Glad to hear your calf is less sore. Bad luck re the bowels! That morphine will cause those problems. I was the same first time round but last time - no morphine no bowel problems.
As well as the Laxido try strong coffee and oranges. Good luck. Every day a new challenge!
 
@Spex10 good morning. Its funny because its not quite 5 months since other knee but already I find myself questioning whether the pain I am in is normal. You would think I would know... Lol. Just tried walking around the house and now leg aches from top of thigh to the toes on my foot. I have a feeling this happened last time but I am a worrier so it's on my mind that is this right. The pain is quite severe this morning despite having all the pain relief I can take now until 2pm. This could be a long day.
 
Last edited:
I know you will all think I am mad because I have just been through it but I am discovering each one is different. The front of my leg - shin - is very tight, hot and sore. When I try to flex my ankle the sun is so tight I can barely move it. Its this normal? I don't remember my shin hurting last time. I know my thigh did. I am finding it strange that I am more scared now after the operation than I was before it. I gave myself a pat on the back this time because of no tears or meltdown but this time it's all after op worrying that is getting to me. Think think Karen......you have had a major operation of course your leg is going to hurt all over. I am trying to talk myself into believing all these pains are normal. Going to get dressed while hubby out walking the dogs and get some ice on the knee and shin and see if that helps. @Spex10 is it icy over your way? It's white over here and hubby said paths are slippy.
 
Oh Molly Max I feel your pain! It is so scary when you know all the things that can go wrong but 95% of the time the pain is from the healing process.This time it affected all my lower leg and made it feel strange to walk on.
But you could always ring the hospital if you’re worried. I did this time cus I had fracture blisters that didn’t heal quickly.Re the laxatives I found a new one called Ducosoft which I got from Sainsbury’s which worked better than one I had before. It’s not a sweet syrup and you can add it to orange juice or coffee.
Not icy here think we got rain instead.

Have you got anything to take your mind off the pain.... good book,tv film ?Hope your pain eases.
 
It's cold but sunny here this morning. I think we've been lucky. It's a shame about your shin. I found wagging my foot up and down really helped with the bend somehow. It sort of activated the right muscles. The other thing that helped was when sitting up in bed I pushed my knee as far down as it would go a few times. That sort of activated other muscles too.
HOWEVER! It's only a few days since the op. Patience woman! Tincture of time will make thesepains and long hours fade away! Hope your husband is rising to the catering challenge.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Pain 2 years after TKR
Just done walking up and down sitting room. No where else I can walk. If I am concerned tomorrow about the pain I will call the ward but I think it is just the healing. Last time it was my thigh that hurt. It's ok today so its just bottom half of leg. As you say Newboots it just feels strange. I will get hubby to get some stuff from supermarket tomorrow for to help with the loo. The stuff hospital gave me isn't working.
Spex10 I have been wagging my foot up and down...lol. You should know from last time patience is not my forte..lol.
Lol to hubby catering. I have just had the worst scrambled egg ever.

Attached photo. More bleeding under the dressing this time.
 
Well that's a sight I got pretty familiar with - view down my own leg though! I had staples so not much bleeding at all. No fun having them removed though!
How can anyone go wrong with scrambled egg!! Mind you if I was constipated I'd be giving eggs a miss. Just a suggestion ...
 
@Mollymax , I was just reading your post about the pain in your shin and calf. I had a lot of pain in those areas, yet my upper leg gave me almost no pain at all.My shin and calf still are really sensitive, and My TKR was on Oct 04. I think that area really gets beat up in the surgery. Hope you’re feeling a little better.
 
@Spex10 believe me my hubby can make a mess of any food If he had just seasoned it a bit and hadn't cooked it in the microwave it might have been OK. He couldn't be bothered making anything else. Dread to think of what my dinner will be .. Lol. As to the staples - the thought of them being removed freaked me out that's why she glued it. It didn't bleed as much on other knee though. Christmas Eve before I go to get the dressing removed.

@Mom2Lucy hope you are healing well. I think this one is just being different from other knee with what it decides is going to hurt. Things seem a bit better this afternoon. Front of leg is tight and tender but nothing drastic I think.

There was a programme on TV last month showing a complete knee replacement operation. I have just made hubby sit down and watch it. He now has respect for what I have gone through - not once but twice within 5 months. He was shocked watching it. OK let's see if I get a bit more compassion from him now .. Lol.
 
Last edited:
I couldn't watch it! Not a hope. Well done if your husband did. M&S do lovely microwave meals... You're worth it!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom