TKR Pain 2 years after TKR

@Mollymax , downhill walking is always a lot harder on the knees. Did you use hiking sticks? I always used pre-op as it defiantly takes quite a bit of the load of knees and helps balance on the way down.
 
@Kiwigirl62 yes I use hiking poles. I used them prior to surgery too. I did only take one out yesterday. Two would have been better. I only ever used two when doing long hikes.
 
You'll be so much more comfortable after TKR 2 (once the immediate post op recovery time is over). I can't get over the little things that are so much better. Just standing waiting for the kettle to boil is painless now. Everyday walks that used to be an ordeal are just fine.
Have you told your work that you're having the next TKR next month yet?
 
@Spex10 yes I told them 2 weeks ago. She wasn't pleased but admitted nothing she could do about it. I doubt though she will be so accommodating when it comes to recovery time.
I do notice lots of things better with left knee. Hopefully once other one is done things will be good.
Child minding this weekend. Friday to Sunday. Carrying a 15 month up and down stairs isn't easy though. He is no light weight and both knees feel the c weight of him.
 
Last edited:
Child minding is amazingly hard work! With a 15 month old you need eyes in the back of your head. I'm just glad my 2 are past nappies and being carried but require stamina I don't seem to have as much of these days.
I collect them from school some days each week which involves quite a lot of walking and stairs between the 2 locations, standing to wait plus general rounding them up in the playground, getting them organised into the car safely (lots of stretching and bending) then joy of joys - homework! (exercise for my brain and patience)
I love them so much but oh boy that first cup of tea when they've left!
It's a good workout all round. Who needs physio!
 
I had the school run for the 10 year old plus getting him out to his hockey matches today. He is good with the little one. I am tired now as have had them since Friday afternoon. Think mum and dad will be home about 6pm then I can get off home. The knees have had a workout this weekend that's for sure. Getting little one up the slope of the drive and into his car seat was a trial in itself.
 
The car seats are a test right enough! I should say that these are my grandsons not just random children.
After my first TKR I didn't want them to see the scar but they insisted and were very impressed especially by all the staples. Little boys are sooooo funny!
 
Only a week to go till next knee replacement. Not stressed out yet. Last day at work tomorrow. My biggest problem right now is my left knee is really hurting. Its just over 5 months old and I have had no problems for a while now. The knee is really aching these days and I have pain going right down my leg. It's bad enough to need painkillers for. Worried about it especially as I need it to be strong for operation next week. Is it normal to have pain at this point? Sitting here in near tears tonight with the pain in it. Should I be worried?
 
Last edited:
As your other knee is in a bad way I suspect that the new knee is having to compensate more maybe by taking more weight? This very cold damp weather is affecting both of mine right now. I've been walking a bit more and doing steps with alternating feet which is great but I'm noticing more stiffness rather than pain.
I was just thinking about you and that you must due your op next week. At least you know what to expect this time. I was much more confident with my second knee I'm sure you'll be too.
 
I found my knee hurt more when I was emotionally stressed, you’re probably thinking about next week’s surgery. :console2:
 
My doctor says my psoriasis flare up is due to stress so maybe my knee is. Its very much like a cramp type pain coming and going in waves from the knee down front of leg. It has been very damp here and the last 2 mornings my car has been frozen up at 7am going up work. I think I am stressing out now about how this knee will hold up next week when other one is done. What if its painful at same time and what if I can't get around because both knees hurt. Funny how at this moment I have different fears from last time. I know come Wednesday the needle phobia so kick in though inn a big way.
 
Your older new knee will greatly benefit from the rest that the newest knee will need. That will all work out. :console2:
 
My doctor says my psoriasis flare up is due to stress so maybe my knee is. Its very much like a cramp type pain coming and going in waves from the knee down front of leg. It has been very damp here and the last 2 mornings my car has been frozen up at 7am going up work. I think I am stressing out now about how this knee will hold up next week when other one is done. What if its painful at same time and what if I can't get around because both knees hurt. Funny how at this moment I have different fears from last time. I know come Wednesday the needle phobia so kick in though inn a big way.
@Mollymax Im feeling the exact same way. My first total knee replacement was on August 1, 2018. I still have lots of cramping on the lateral side of my knee. My pain is mostly when I first get up in the morning and if I over did it throughout the day. I’m scheduled for my other total knee replacement in January 2019 and I too am stressing out . I’m hoping once the other knee is done both will be aligned straight and I’ll be pain free.
 
@Mollymax you should resign yourself to a difficult couple of weeks (note difficult not impossible or too painful) and plan accordingly. At least this time you know what to expect. I remember last time that you said the pain wasn't too bad. Once it's over and you're safely home again, and this time next week it'll be over, you'll be on the way to recovery. Christmas is coming, lots to look forward to including the end of having to go to your hated work!
Lots of what you feared didn't happen. I'm sure it won't this time either. Let's do that coffee meet up in the Spring.
 
@Linda.W like you I am hoping once this knee is done having 2 good knees will be a big help. Just now it's one bad one probably affecting the good one. Surgeon says bad one is very out of alignment. The pain has eased today thank goodness. I still have a weird feeling in it. Like it's heavy and thick. Bad description but I can't think how else to put it. Surgeon asked if I thought it felt heavy so she must know what I am feeling.
@Spex10 yes we must have that cuppa in the spring. I am trying to stay positive this time because as you say I was surprised it wasn't as painful as I expected. Yep this time next week the recovery will have started. Hopefully out on the Friday this time if my BP doesn't keep dropping. Escaped from work at 3.30pm today. Handed over my staff to a temp manager and slipped out without saying cheerio to anyone. Cleared my desk as decisions will be made while I am off. I will give it a lot of thought but I may just say 'bye bye'. After all I will turn 65 while off... so
I really just want to be pain free and get back to my walking.
 
@Mollymax Yes tricky stuff with 2 knee replacements! I had right done Nov 2017 and knew I’d need the left doing so thought I’d leave plenty of time for the first to heal. Right knee had got really strong during the summer and I was walking easily,swimming and doing exercise bike as well as my allotment.

Since I had my left knee done on Oct3rd and I have to say the right has not been happy about it. I think it’s not helped that I live on the first floor so have to do stairs every time I go out. It’s not been painful most of the time but I can feel it struggling and have the tight band feeling. The consultant said it was because it’s still healing....
However not all bad news the left knee has been generally less painful as long as I don’t do physio. At 9 weeks have just started driving and done 2 short swims this week. Have been elevating and icing both knees.
Yours could be completely different.

With these knees we just have to be prepared for everything but like Spex10 says difficult but not impossible and eventually it will all come good. You will get painfree and be a Walker again!:friends:Good luck next week.
 
What if its painful at same time and what if I can't get around because both knees hurt.
The pain relief you have for the newest knee will also work to dull pain in the TKR knee.
You're going to get around OK.
 
Thanks everyone. It's coming round too quickly. However I am off tomorrow to a ceilidh for my nephews 30th birthday. Staying in the hotel for the night. Not sure either knee is up to ceilidh dancing but will see what happens. A few g&t's should see me through the night .. Lol. Then Tuesday will be a busy day getting prepared for hospital on Wednesday and have things ready for Christmas too. Thought I was keeping the fears at bay but they are starting to creep in. Getting pretty scared again unfortunately.
 
Just try to remember that you managed last time and you're going to be able to do that again this time.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom