THR Pain 14 months post LTHR

@Josephine ugh! That's autocorrect. Apologies. I meant "when I go to stand from a seated position". The ache is in my calves, not my shins - definitely not shin splints. This just began happening, coinciding with the foot pain.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Have you tried walking in water. The shallow end if a pool back n forth to slowly strengthen those calf muscles that are weak and protesting? Might help if it is convenient.

Shin splints affects the front, side and back of the calf and compartment syndrome affects the entire calf from knee to ankle all round.

I am 5 months post-op since my left THR. My right hip is now showing the same symptoms my left hip did before I wound up needing it replaced. When I walk or stand up from a seated position my hip catches. I have to move, stretch it out to uncatch the hip which is usually followed by "cracking". Luckily I see my ortho tomorrow. How likely is it to need the second hip replaced? Does this happen often?

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

Hard to say if needing both hips replaced happens "often", as it clearly happens less often than just needing one. Having said that, I had one hip replaced last November and the second done 2½ weeks ago. And I know there are several, no, many people on this forum who have had both done, sometimes at the same time and other times months or years apart. You may be more attuned to hip issues given the need for one replacement already. FWIW, I personally have found my second to be easier than the first, (and the first wasn't bad) and am really looking forward to years without pain, after years wth pain. Good luck to you.

How likely is it to need the second hip replaced? Does this happen often?
Happens often. I had several years between my THRs but the same damage that caused my left hip to go occurred in the right one.

Having the right hip replaced early did help my recovery. No limping around for years meant an easier and quicker recovery for me.

Yep, those are the facts - roughly 30% of hippies (not including those who have bilaterals) ended up having the other one done anything from a month to 10 years later!

There you are.
It seems your a one in three.
Won't it be great to get everything sorted.
Good luck with your appointment.
Joe.......

Curious for those who had the second THR done in this thread - did you have to go back to the initial screening stage for assessment or were you able to short circuit some of the waiting time since you were already a hippie (eg maybe you could use the same ortho surgeon). The reason I ask is I know I have limited time on my right hip remaining and it took 20 months from the time I told my sports medicine doctor "its time" to my actual THR (3.5 weeks ago now)

Curious for those who had the second THR done in this thread - did you have to go back to the initial screening stage for assessment or were you able to short circuit some of the waiting time since you were already a hippie (eg maybe you could use the same ortho surgeon). The reason I ask is I know I have limited time on my right hip remaining and it took 20 months from the time I told my sports medicine doctor "its time" to my actual THR (3.5 weeks ago now)

You'll most likely have to go back through everything. Unless your doc has already looked at the other hip and diagnosed it, etc. I had to go back and go through the same appointment as the first hip, and I'm at 7 months on the first one. Have to have the pre surgery physical with my family practitioner and everything. Probably for the best.

I have bilateral AVN. Did my left hip on June 12. Doing right on Sept. 11.

I think the answer may depend on your health insurance. For me, by the time I had the first one done I had already revived a diagnosis of AVN in both hips, with both heads having collapsed. But I still went through the process insurance requires, which involved the surgeon getting approval for the surgery, the preop physical, etc. But none of that affected the wait time or anything. When I was ready for the second, we just started the process and scheduled it. But the system may work differently in Canada.

Ohmygosh, I am SO glad to have found this thread!! I am 9 weeks post a THR, posterior on my left. Owing to what my (amazing) surgeon found when they got in there, he had me *zero* weight-bearing for 6 weeks, so I essentially spent most of 6 weeks in a wheelchair (I could use a walker but had to hop on one leg so that my foot on my operated-on side never touched down). After the six weeks I was on crutches - 25% weight bearing for 5 days, then 50% weight bearing for 5 days, and then 75% weight bearing for 5 days. I was allowed to get rid of the crutches just 6 days ago. Without the crutches *both* of my feet *hurt* when I walk (and my ankles are swollen). I was *so* not expecting this. I was guessing that my feet hurt because they were not used to weight bearing and walking - plus I'd put on an extra 8-10 pounds while I was so immobile. Logically it makes sense, but it's still very demoralizing, and you start to wonder if you just traded one set of problems for another. But seeing that others have had this issue, now I have hope that eventually the pain will go away, and I'm not some freak of nature. Thank you!!

I've had plantar fasciitis before, which on me shows up as pain on the whole heel/sole of the foot. And for quite a few years now, walking after getting up in the morning hurts my feet-- it actually feels like, I don't know, crunching in the soft tissue, or like tiny miniature bubble wrap popping painfully, or tiny things tearing as I walk. Hard to describe. But then by the time I get to the bathroom it's gone, and I forget it until the next morning.

I am 8 months post-op of a posterior THR of my left hip. I attempted returning to work when my Ortho gave me the ok at 3 months post-op. After two weeks I resigned my position. I couldn’t sit. I have a desk job and despite taking breaks I couldn’t sit that long during the day. It made me sore. I have been home and am now at 9 months post op and was feeling really good; not 100%, but the best I’ve been since the surgery. I have gone back to work as a temp, full-time. I am finding I have discomfort by way of an ache on the side of my thigh where my incision is all the way up to my butt. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this part of healing? Will I ever recover completely and not have aches or soreness?

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

Hi @BaldDiva99
Sorry you're suffering pain. I've read here many times we're still healing for up to a year, possibly even two years. I'm sure @Josephine could offer advice after you answer a few questions for her.
Hang in there......It most likely will slowly get better.

I have discomfort by way of an ache on the side of my thigh where my incision is all the way up to my butt.
How about you indicating the exact site of this pain using this chart?
hip-references-horz.jpg

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member