THR Pain 14 months post LTHR

[Bonesmart.org] Pain 14 months post LTHR


I thinks this is a bit low for Trochanteric bursitis and is more likely to be just ITB (ilio-tibial band) issue
 
I thank this forum for helping to guide me and providing much needed support and information after my posterior left total hip replacement on February 6, 2017.

I am 10 months in. I am doing better. I returned to work per the date given by my ortho, in May. Too soon. I stopped working as the sitting was too much. Mostly caused pain at the site of my incision and the muscles in that area. My guess is they were healing. I continued with water aerobics and general exercise (recumbent bike, elliptical machine). I also live on a steep hill. Just walking up and down was exercise. I felt stronger.

Fast forward to November 1, 2017 I began a temp assignment as a legal document production specialist. It involves sitting and working at a computer. Initially I thought I wouldn’t be able to. I experienced soreness once again but got better with each day. I sometimes have soreness if I am sitting too long. I make a point of standing and walking around every half hour.

I have a question: This soreness bordering on pain on the side of my thigh sometimes up near my butt above my incision, will it ever all go away?

This discomfort is muscular. I no longer feel anything where my hip joint is, ever since surgery. Is it normal to still have discomfort?

Despite what doctors say, I believe healing takes it time and is different with each individual. I also feel some numbness as well on the side of my thigh. My ortho said that numbness might stay, time will tell. The numbness is less than I originally felt at the 3-month mark.

As well, I continue to be careful getting in and out of cars mostly because I feel soreness on the side of my thigh. I don’t enter/exit a car as I used to pre-op. I sit my butt in and swing my legs in. I apologize for the length of this post but I wanted to give as much info as possible. I want to say to all the new hips out there, hang on, it truly gets better. Thank you.
 
Hi there @BaldDiva99 There is a lot of healing going on in the area for months after surgery, just as you mentioned. I'm sure our Nurse Director @Josephine can shed some light on this soreness bordering on
pain you've described in your upper thigh. Her information is sound and we all learn from it.
I've tagged her so please check back in the event she has questions.

I find many of us modified the way we entered / exited vehicles pre-op and have continued the same post op. At least I have.

Best wishes for a great weekend!
 
@BaldDiva99 you will notice that I have merged your five recovery threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

It appears Josephine has already given you input on your pain in that area (see her charts and links above). Perhaps you missed this as you had so many threads started?
 
This soreness bordering on pain on the side of my thigh sometimes up near my butt above my incision, will it ever all go away?
It depends what it is. Can you indicate the site of it using this chart please?

[Bonesmart.org] Pain 14 months post LTHR
 
I had a total left hip replacement (posterior) Feb. 6, 2017. It’s been 14 months and I have suddenly begun to have pain on the side of my thigh where my scar is. Sometimes it shoots across my thigh towards my knee. Sometimes it shoots down the side of my thigh almost to my ankle. This began 2 weeks ago. It’s enough of a pain that I’ve had some difficulty walking. I have an appointment with my ortho next week-earliest I could get. He advised me to ice, Take NSAIDs and rest. It’s scary cause this came out of nowhere. Anyone else experience anything similar after so long a time? I’ve had an x-ray and attached is my result.
IMG_4810.jpg
 
Hi @BaldDiva99
Sorry you're suffering pain after such a length of time. I'm unable to comment on x-rays / Reports.
Let's have our forum Nurse @Josephine weigh in. I've tagged her for you.
She's in the U.K. so please check back in case she has any questions.
Best wishes you find answers and relief soon.
 
@BaldDiva99 you will notice that I once again merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread.

As you can see Josephine has already commented on this pain. Have you started any new activities lately or done any heavy lifting, furniture moving?
 
Back
Top Bottom