Guest viewing is limited

THR Pain 14 months post LTHR

Folks, it's unnecessary to quote a post just to reply to it. Just scoot on down to the bottom of the page and start typing! Unless there is some specific phrase you want to address, of course!
Then do it like this How to quote a post.

Thanks for understanding! :)
 
2. It's not really pain, it's muscle soreness. If I had to give it a number I'd say a 4
Okay
3. Hydrocodone-Acetaminophen 5-325. 1 to 2 pills every 6 hours if needed. I stopped taking them one week after my surgery. Made me stomach sick. Would take extra strength Tylenol if I needed it. Allergic to ibuprofen
Well if you are declaring a pain score of 4, I suggest you do take some Tylenol - 1,000mg 3-4 times a day.
4. Today the therapist told me to use a heating pad as I would numb the muscle instead of loosening it. I used my heating pad for about 20 minutes when I came home from PT today and rested
That's nonsense! Use a heating pad and it increases swelling - which is, btw, a form of pain!
5. I elevate when I sleep at night.
okay
6. I have began cooking a couple nights a week since last week and going out and running errands with my sister. Mostly involving walking (Target), standing (while at the Post Office - a good half hour), and going in and out of a car. The past two days I've been going up and down to the basement, did 2 loads of laundry.
At 4 weeks? That's pushing it a bit. Did you read the recovery articles left for you earlier? Specially this one Activity progression for THRs? I suggest whether you did or not, it seems like you need to read it again!

My comments in bold
hip abduction+adduction 3 sets 10 with band around thighs - I'd say no to these especially with the band. Jolly good way of getting muscle pain
bridges 3 sets of 10 - bridges are never a good idea and certainly not 30 at a time! Jolly good way of getting muscle pain
knee bent with pillow under knee 3lb weight around ankle, leg raise at knee 3 sets of 10 - half leg raises which I suspect you don't find a challenge but a big no-no to the weights. It's the very last thing a new hip needs
lateral walking side to side with band around thighs 3 sets of 10 - these have no therapeutic value whatsoever.
stepping up and down a step 3 sets of 10 - steps also risk muscle pain

PT twice a week
Same exercise as at home except they use a stepper for stairs - same as above
Walking around an obstacle course, weaving in and out - never heard of this one!
Stepping over cones in obstacle course - or this one. Do they think you're an agility dog or something!

You need to read this which was in the recovery articles BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy.
Also this (which was also in the recovery articles!) Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
 
Thank you for the feedback. I will heed your advice


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am 10 weeks post-of of my total left hip replacement. Precautions were lifted at week 3 though I kept my precautions until week 8 at the recommendation of my home physical therapist.

I am doing well, thankfully. I have no joint pain. Have not felt any joint pain since the surgery. The discomfort I DO feel is that of the muscles healing. My surgery was posterior in approach. I am tall and have a long scar.

I saw my surgeon last week and was advised I have some scar tissue that will hopefully resolve itself. I often get tingling in my scar and was advised that is normal in healing.

I can walk up and down stairs. Going up is still a little uncomfortable, again the discomfort in the muscles on the side of my thigh. Walking outside I take a cane as a precaution. I have difficulty with cambered sidewalks (one side higher than the other, at an angle). But ok outside of this. Sitting in low seats is still difficult, rather the getting up and I think that may be the very last thing to get better. I am 6 feet tall, so that makes sense. Functionality and range of motion is returning, slowly but surely.

To all going through this I say "hang in". Do your therapy, get as much rest as possible, as I personally believe that's where the body heals. Drink a lot of water and don't be a hero, if you need pain meds, TAKE THEM.
 
Thanks Diva,
I'm tall too (used to be 5'11.5 but have lost a couple of inches as I settled). I had my surgery 2 weeks ago and really using the mantra here - ice, elevate, take meds on schedule and only a bit of walking - no other exercise. So far my scar feels fine - actuslly I guess it is more of a wound still, but clean and straight. I get my staples out tomorrow.
Thanks for coming by and being encouraging!
 
@BaldDiva99 Welcome to the other side! Congratulations on that new hip. Sounds like you are doing well.

I'll leave you with some reading to do.These articles might answer questions you have during this journey.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this:


Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Thank you for posting your update, you have made me feel a lot better, I am 11 weeks post op and feel all the same things as you, the getting up out of a chair is hardest, I have groin pain when I do that, muscle ache when walk to much so still use a crutch for long walks. But thank you you hv helped me realize this is slow process and it's ok it will be better eventually


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I am 12 weeks post-op from a posterior left Total Hip Replacement. I am doing well in my recovery. However lately I am beginning to detect the symptoms that led to my left hip replacement in my right hip. It aches. This stands to reason as prior to surgery to replace my left hip, my right side was carrying most of my weight. Makes sense I'd be sore from time to time. The give away is now I am beginning to have the cracking in my right hip like what I had in my left hip. It took a year to get really bad before I had surgery. I certainly won't let my right hip get that bad. If it continues to ache and crack I will see my orthopedic surgeon. I am wondering if there is any data that supports the possibility that if you have a hip replacement on one side that you will eventually need it on the other side. My need for hip replacement was due to osteoarthritis wearing away the bone. Thank you.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@BaldDiva99 - Many members on this site have had both hips replaced. I suspect more have had both hips replaced than those with just one replaced. I had my 2nd hip replaced 7 months after my 1st. My sense is most replacements are due to OA. You're in good company on this forum. Best of luck!
 
When I first saw my OS about the painful right hip, the xrays showed that both hips were equally far gone. He asked which one I wanted to do first. Well...the squeaky wheel gets the grease. At my 6 weeks check-up, he asked if I wanted to schedule the other hip yet. But it wasn't hurting, so no....not yet. He said I might get a year or two out of it still. Nine months later the tell-tale pain showed up. I did not pass go; did not collect $200. Just scheduled asap and never looked back. And mine is a common story. Welcome to the two-timer club. :)

Sharon
 
When I first saw my OS about the painful right hip, the xrays showed that both hips were equally far gone. He asked which one I wanted to do first. Well...the squeaky wheel gets the grease. At my 6 weeks check-up, he asked if I wanted to schedule the other hip yet. But it wasn't hurting, so no....not yet. He said I might get a year or two out of it still. Nine months later the tell-tale pain showed up. I did not pass go; did not collect $200. Just scheduled asap and never looked back. And mine is a common story. Welcome to the two-timer club. :)

Sharon

Thank you for your response. I am guessing since I had osteoarthritis in the left hip it may have traveled to the right. I am scared to think I may need the next one done but, I will continue to pay attention to the symptoms. Thank you.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I'm with @sharonslp on this one.
Head to the clinic and get the xray just to see where your at.
Then your ready to go when the time comes.
"The gift that keeps on giving" I like it (not the gift though).
Joe.....
 
The post LTHR X-rays of my hips showed no OA in my right hip. But 4 years later the symptoms appeared. I ran to the surgeon and had it replaced as soon as I could. Much easier recovery if you catch it before you start limping around.
 
I had a posterior total left hip replacement Feb. 6 2017. It's been 14 weeks since my surgery. I had PT at home for about 3 weeks and then out-patient PT. I went back to my day job yesterday, May 15. My schedule is 3 days a week Mon-Wednesday-Fri. It was dreadful. I am a word processing operator at a law firm. The job involves sitting for long periods depending on how long it takes you to complete your task, deadline requirements, etc. I set my phone's alarm to go off hourly so that I would get up and walk around. I found difficulty walking around outside on my lunch hour. Everyone is walking briskly and I can't. I no longer use a cane. The pain I am feeling is muscular where my incision is (posterior). I also have a swelling, a lump-like swelling. It's somewhat numb. When I last saw my OS I was advised it would be the last thing to recover, swelling will go down and muscular pain dissipate.

I returned to work part time. According to my doctor I was alright to return to work. After the routine of the day, I don't think so. I am 6 feet tall. I can't take wide steps like I used to-my gait has shortened. Again, the discomfort is from the muscles at the side of my thigh to my glute - that's the length of my incision. The sitting just is too much. I know my employer won't hold my job if I go out on short term disability again. I was advised of this when I initially went out from being in so much pain right before my surgery. I physically feel like I need more time. This surgery has been life changing. I realize this body, this life is not forever. I realize I need more time to heal. Life is too short. I'd rather step away from this job, get better and find another job in the long run.

I just want to recover and feel myself again. Trying to get back in the real world is proving more challenging than I anticipated. Feedback is appreciated. Thank you.



Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I am so sorry and so frightened of this scenario. I grossly underestimated the amount of time that might be necessary for a bilateral THR. My job is 5 days per week, 4-5 hours per day and I don't want to let them down and I love my job. I also really don't want to screw up what I managed to get fixed and am fighting to recover from. Good for you for making the decision to put yourself first. It's what has to be. It's more complicated than that for me, and there is family involved... Exactly what I've been worrying over
 
BaldDiva92,
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your other recovery threads. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
@Mojo333 I am fortunate that my husband and I are in a position to manage if I don't work at least tile early next year or til when I am more fully recovered. You HAVE to take care of your health and yourself if you are undergoing THR and in your case bilateral THR. You can't worry about it; that makes you more stressed adding to your recovery. It's also important to have a support system to help you at home. If they care about you at your job, it will work out. My job? I never got as much as a get well card, email or phone call. Quite frankly if I decide to leave it's no skin off my nose (or hip). Nice you have a job that matters to you and I will guess you matter to them. Hopefully they will work with you until you return, healed.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@BaldDiva99 agree that recovery is important and if you don't take it seriously, no one else will either. Gave myself some extra time to avoid incurring chronic issues from the too much, too soon syndrome. Have observed that the slow and steady bonesmarties enjoy good recoveries.

My surgeries were an unexpected game changer on many fronts. I got a glimpse into the future of what advanced age may be like and found that some things def need to be changed. Additionally, I am now better equipped to help others going through their health issues as well.

Good luck :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
BaldDive.
Try to not get too despondent.
My recovery was what some call slow but I say its my recovery not someone else recovery. Quite a few people tend to over exaggerate recoveries when they are done so don't fret anyone else just concentrate on yourself. Feb 17 is still really really early in recovery and you wouldn't believe how much more you will heal. Work (even a job that's not suiting at the moment) can sometimes keep us focused and operating to a timetable.
The other hip may be causing you more bother than you think so no harm getting it looked at anyway.
I hope you are medicating appropriately because Stiffness, soreness, aches and swelling are all forms of pain and should be medicated appropriately.
Keep Well.
Joe......
 
Back
Top Bottom