THR Pain 14 months post LTHR

Many people underestimate how much energy it takes just to go to a job let alone do it all day. There is the stress of getting up and ready to leave the house and the commute to work. Then the stress of deadlines and interacting with people - it's all very different from the pace you took during your recovery.

Perhaps you aren't ready. I know I had to leave the office the first day I returned. I just couldn't do it anymore. Energy drain and just feeling so tired I was nauseous. But it did clear up very quickly. Just pace yourself. Allow time for breaks and periods of rest. You will get back to work - but allow yourself time to heal.
 
@Jaycey thank you. I don't know if my employer will hold my job should I go out again. Today is my second day working. I worked Monday and was off yesterday. I spent all of yesterday recuperating. I almost feel like I took 10 steps back. I may be done with all this sitting. Thank you for the feedback


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi BaldDiva.
Just checking. Is today your second day back altogether. If it is then you are totally normal to feel "hit by a train". I really underestimated the physical challenges involved. Add that to being surrounded by "regular" folk doing regular things with ease.
Roll on the weekend and see how you feel.
Rest is prescribed.
Joe......
 
I had PT at home for about 3 weeks and then out-patient PT
You would have done better if you'd not done any PT. Hips don't need it.
I found difficulty walking around outside on my lunch hour. Everyone is walking briskly and I can't.
So what? No-one said you had to keep up with others who, btw, haven't had a THR!
I no longer use a cane.
Why not? You'll find it easier with one and it will remind your co-workers that you are far from recovered yet!
According to my doctor I was alright to return to work.
And what do doctors know about that, pray? I worked with a hip surgeon who had a hip replacement and freely admitted he'd had no idea!
I know my employer won't hold my job if I go out on short term disability again. I was advised of this when I initially went out from being in so much pain right before my surgery.
They sound very uncompromising employers to me.
Life is too short. I'd rather step away from this job, get better and find another job in the long run.
I don't blame you - your employers don't exactly preach employee care! And I bet if any one of them had a hip replacement, they wouldn't be so parsimonious about their recovery!
 
I ask the moderator please combine with my other thread - I'm not sure how to do it. I posted the other day that I returned to work this last week part time, 13-weeks post op from a total posterior left hip replacement. I worked Friday and am ridiculously sore. I couldn't do much today. I am resigning from my job. It's too much sitting. I feel soreness and pain I wasn't feeling prior to this. I feel my progress has been set back. I was feeling so much better prior to returning to work and sitting so much (despite hourly breaks). This surgery has been life changing. I've learned a lot about myself and life. My health comes first. Total healing will take time. I know I will successfully recovery fully. I am lucky to have the support and love of my husband.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@BaldDiva99 ...I've combined your two recovery threads for you. If you need help finding your thread, please check out our How To Use This Forum link under the Help & Info tab at the top of the page. There are actually a lot of articles there that will tell you how to better navigate BoneSmart.

I think you're making a wise choice to focus on your health and not worry about a stressful job. Getting well is your first priority!! Good for you and for your very supportive hubby.
 
I agree that health before job. I'm going to be trying to see if I can phase back to work soon and I hope I will be able to do well but I will let my body dictate to what extent. Alot of money, time, pain, and tears have been put into finding what was wrong with us and to not let it heal properly would negate all we work for.
 
Wise words BaldDive and @Mojo333.
I am making changes in this regard and I'll post in my thread today a little more about it.
You can't beat a little health scare to refocus on what's really important.
Good wishes you 2.
Joe........
 
Completely agree with prioritising your health and recovery over your job. Some people unfortunately don't have the option, but very glad for you BaldDiva that you are able to make this choice. Most of us don't give much thought to our health when we are younger and our jobs and careers are all- consuming, but as Joe says, something like this really does concentrate the mind on what's most important in your life.
Wishing you continued recovery and hope you get over this setback ASAP,
Take care,
Diane
 
I am 16 weeks post-op after a posterior total left hip arthroplasty. Recovery is going well although I went back to work 2 weeks ago and extreme soreness from sitting so I have resigned my job to heal better and more completely. I have noticed in the past 3 weeks my feet hurt. The soles of my feet when I walk. Has this happened to anyone else? Can anyone shed light on this?


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Hi BaldDiva.
I'm tagging @Jamie cos I think your heading above is the wrong one. She might have some suggestions re the foot pain also.
Quite a few people throw out all there old shoes after hip replacement (I did) because the have old wear patterns on them from before the operations. I wonder if a new pair of shoes would help.
Joe......
 
Two things may be contributing to your newly found foot pain. One is, as Irish Joe suggested, wearing shoes with old wear patterns from your previous "bad hip" life. Ditch them and buy new shoes. At least for now, select good shoes with a sturdy foot bed and plenty of support. I know that's not the most stylish thing in the world sometimes, but it's just a good place to start. Maybe a really good pair of walking shoes (tennis shoes). Then, once the pain goes away, you can add more styles and see what works.

The second thing is that your gait may be off. This happens a lot when our bodies are used to walking a certain way to compensate for a bad joint. You can retrain your body by concentrating on walking with a good stride and making sure each foot hits heel-roll to toe-push from the ball of your foot with each step. It might be worthwhile to see a therapist for one visit to have them evaluate your gait and suggest ways to ensure you are walking properly.
 
I don't know if this is similar or not....but when I was off my feet for a long time with my various ankle replacements, it was really very painful on my feet when I started walking again. It was like the bottoms of my feet were not used to bearing all the weight, and were protesting.....it gradually disappeared, as I began being more mobile......I walked a lot in a pool, to lighten up the weight and that helped too.
Good luck! Hope this pain passes soon!
 
Do you have pain anywhere else? Such as the lower leg?
 
I've changed the thread prefix to "THR" since BaldDiva had a Hip Arthroplasty (Replacement), not an Arthroscopy.
(Those two words are so similar!)
 
@TCTuna this is EXACTLY how I feel. I wake up in the morning and it feels like I've been standing 100 hours. I am also going to buy a couple new pairs of shoes. Good ones - Dansko. Thank you for responding.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Josephine I have leg pain from the knees down, when I go to arms definitely a seated position. I did NOT have this after my surgery. I am 18 weeks post-op today. I sort of feel like my body is readjusting and I am hoping this will pass.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom