TKR Over did it

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Josephine does swelling have any impact on knee extension? I don't know what my numbers are right now as I choose not to focus on them. Also I know it's been said there's no window of opportunity for ROM does that include extension? It just seems the more I try to work on the exercises like the creep and prone hang it makes my knee hurt more. If t he straightness will come then I'll feel more comfortable backing off. I go to pt 3x week and do home exercises on my off days. Thx

TKR 6/1/15
MUA 7/17/15

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
What exercise is the creep? I'm stuck at an extension of 5 myself, they can push me to 0 in PT and it doesn't hurt but it doesn't want to come naturally.

Are you all doing daily PT?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
@tigz creep is when you put your leg on a ottoman or arm of couch and let your knee naturally extend maybe even put a light weight on your knee to help it extend. You're so fortunate to not feel pain when the pt pushes on your knee. It hurts me. I wanna kick him lol. I do pt 3x a week. My pt is going to suggest that my OS get me a Dynasplint to help. I go see him tomorrow and I hope he agrees. I think it will help with my extension. They're also gonna get me TENS.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Hi pumpkinseed sorry you are having problems but I have to agree with pumkin it is way to early to do MUA I am 5 weeks today and am only at 105 =110 on good days and i would never consider MUA at this time please reconsider and do like pumkin siad .Good luck
 
@mytrose43 I already had the MUA on the 17th. I think it has helped me compared to where I was. I was at I think 50ish before and now I'm 110 after. I'm glad I did it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Ah I didn't realize that was the name of that exercise!

I am getting tired of PT...Told one of the techs that today and she said it was like the Hotel California.LOL

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
Great ROM! Isn't it nice being able to bend? Actually, I really don't mind PT because it's not painful anymore!

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
PT is definitely more fun when you aren't working at the same time. At least that was the case for me.
 
HELP!! I went to my post op on 7/30 and my OS said I need another MUA. I was so in shock. He said I'm not where I should be after the 1st MUA two week earlier although I've made some progress. My therapist suggested I get a Dynasplint and the OS said he doesn't think that's the answer. I feel I've been working by butt off and in pain to boot! He said it needed to be done the next day I said can we wait so I can have time to process it. He gave me the talk about "window of opportunity " and from reading this sight I know that's not true . He said the WHOLE month of August is booked and if have to do it before 3 months is up. Not sure if he was telling thw truth about not openinga in August or not. At first i agreed after crying. Then I cancel at 4 a.m. my husband and I are starting not to trust him. What do I do? Can I improve with just therapy? So depressed. Any advice would be appreciated

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
I'm surprised he is advocating another MUA given that it's only been a few weeks since your last one. From what I've read from mua people, they had more swelling for a while and only as things calmed down again did they see the real benefits.
Hopefully someone with more firsthand experience in this will also chime in.
 
@kneeper HELLO EXACTLY! That what I was thinking. I'm glad you feel the same. Let's me know I'm not crazy(not yet anyway)

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
my OS said I need another MUA. I was so in shock. He said I'm not where I should be after the 1st MUA two week earlier
Pumpkinseed, I am so pleased you cancelled it. There really is no rush to have MUAs - I've known people have them weeks and months afterwards.
before the MUA my flexion was 50 and extension 25. The OS got it to 130 and 5. As of yesterday (3 days later) I'm at 88 and 10.
Well, those pre-MUA numbers did rather indicate that you needed an MUA and the fact that you had pain afterwards also confirmed that it was adhesions. However, I am rather inclinded to think that your post-MUA therapy has set you back again. More on that later .......
@Josephine does swelling have any impact on knee extension? Also I know it's been said there's no window of opportunity for ROM does that include extension?
Yes, of course it does! On both counts. ROM stands for range of movement which means all movement.
It just seems the more I try to work on the exercises like the creep and prone hang it makes my knee hurt more. If t he straightness will come then I'll feel more comfortable backing off.
This bothers me greatly so I'm going to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Over did it
)
Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often?

Can you detail it like this

Exercises done at home: 3 sessions a day
Heel slides x10 (reps)
Strait leg raises x10
Steps x10

At PT
Squats x5 (reps) x2 (sets)
Wall slides x5 x2
Clamshells X5 x2
 
I'm so sorry to hear that. :(

But I agree it's too soon to decide another MUA is in order.
 
1. Pain is 7 at worst. It aches, soreness on back of calf and quads. I have stiffness and swelling, some shooting pains in soft tissue from time to time. Mostly after stretches. The top of my scar feels like it's pulling or catching on something when I bend. I have hip pain on the same side as well as IT band issues and low back pain. Pain with weight bearing.

2. I'm on oxycodone 10/325 1-2 4 x day and
mobic 15 mg 1x day for inflammation. Tizinadine for muscle spasms 4mg 3x day but I take it at night because it makes me drowsy. Plus oxycodone extended release because he won't prescribe Dilaudid and I've complained about pain control from day 1. I dont know the strength of the oxycodone extended release because I just turned it in and didn't pay attention.

3. Icing 3-4 xday same with elevation for 20 min.

4. ROM is 95/-20. This is what the OS measured last week. I go to pt tomorrow and can get another measurement
if need be.

6. Not much housework anymore for last 2 weeks. I drive and shop for short periods of time.

7. Pt at home: 2 sessions a day all reps are 15
Heel slides
Straight leg raises
Wall slides
Short arc Quad sets
Long arc quad sets
standing hamstring curls w/2 lbs ankle weight
Hip abduction
Toe raises with mini squats
Don Tigney theraband extension exercise w/red band hold extension 5 seconds
Scar massage 1x day 5 minutes
Prone hang w/2 lbs ankle weight 4 minutes
Toe raises with mini squats x15
Side steps along counter 2 trips
High knee steps along counter 2 trips
Long arch quad sets x15

At pt: 3x week
Bike 15 min
Don Tigney theraband extension exercise w/red band hold extension 5 seconds x15
Prone hang w/2 lbs ankle weight 4 minutes
Side steps along counter 2 trips
High knee steps along counter 2 trips
Toe raises w/mini squats x15
Long arch quad sets x15
Then he works on my flexion moving my knee back and forth
Then he works on my extension by pushing my knee to the table
Knee massage, ice or heat and I'm done.

Thx



Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
My commentsin bold
Pt at home: 2 sessions a day all reps are 15 - I suggest once a day ad even every other day. You have to give your knee a chance to recover from each session
Heel slides - about the best stretche you can do but it's much better to do few and often rather than heavy sessions - read this Heel slides and how to do them.
Straight leg raises - SLRs contribute nothing to your ROM - I'd stop doing them
Wall slides - very punishing on the knee. It makes the tissue hot and angry - perfect condition to encourage adhesions
Short arc Quad sets - these are okay but only do 5. Quite enough
Long arc quad sets - these are okay but only do 5. Quite enough
standing hamstring curls w/2 lbs ankle weight - never use weights on a struggling knee
Hip abduction - never could figure that these are doing in a knee group
Toe raises with mini squats - noooo! Very, very hard on the knee!
theraband extension exercise w/red band hold extension 5 seconds - same with theraband - don't use it
Scar massage 1x day 5 minutes - nothing to be gained by this either but if it doesn't hurt it's okay
Prone hang w/2 lbs ankle weight 4 minutes - another noooo! there are other extension stretches to do. This just stresses your knee out. See this Extension: exercises for improvement.
Side steps along counter 2 trips - okay
High knee steps along counter 2 trips - high steps also punishing on the knee, making tissues hot and dry - perfect conditions for adhesions
Long arch quad sets x15 - okay but only do 5


At pt: 3x week
Bike 15 min - okay
Theraband extension exercise w/red band hold extension 5 seconds x15 - rather a lot
Prone hang w/2 lbs ankle weight 4 minutes - don't like weights, I think they cause more harm than good
Side steps along counter 2 trips - okay
High knee steps along counter 2 trips - okay but same comment as above
Toe raises w/mini squats x15 - toes raises are punishing on a knee - don't they hurt?
Long arch quad sets x15 - okay
Then he works on my flexion moving my knee back and forth - okay but don't let him to it too much or too hard. If he hurts you, stop him
Then he works on my extension by pushing my knee to the table - again, not to much or too hard. You are allowed to tell him to stop if he hurts you or it's starting to ache. Personally I've never known pushing on a knee to improve extension

In the end this is a totally insane amount of exercising to be doing. It's known that over-working a knee causes the tissues to get hot and dry which is the perfect conditions for adhesion to be created. Here's some myth busters:
No pain MORE gain
Less is more
An exhausted horse never worked harder because it was being beaten
 
@Josephine thank you so much for the advice. I hate that the OS me feel like it's all my fault because I'm not exercising enough instead of using common sense which is what your advice sounds like. Also is it possible for a therapist to break up scar tissue?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom