Guest viewing is limited

TKR Over did it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you guys. I talked to my primary a month ago and she did a referral for me. I have an appt in November. Trying to get in sooner. However this is told me that I have 2 months to change my mind and if I don't they'll have to cut me open again, take off the plastic sleeve and do a sift tissue release and something else. He wants me to go to there pt office because I need to be pushed hard. I think I'm going to decline that too. That's what my gut tells me. I'm going to continue to do m ty stuff at home and do water aerobics therapy.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Oh no! It sounds like there's something else going on with your knee beyond your control and they most definitely shouldn't be making you feel guilty!
 
Pumpkinseed--So very sorry for your problems!! I just hate it when the victim gets blamed for the problem. Some doctors are such jerks--can't ever admit that something went wrong on their watch!! However, the truth is, sometimes things just don't go as expected--it doesn't have to be anybody's fault and certainly not the patient's. Personally, I think you should go on a mental "vacation." Take a week, (or even two!!) relax, do your meds, do something you enjoy, do a few very simple exercises, ice and elevate and only after that, evaluate how you feel and what you want to do. I am doing manual therapy for a shoulder that isn't going to get better--just trying to keep it from totally degenerating--and my PT guy was commenting on how some therapists (and doctors!!) are still way behind the curve in still believing the no pain is no gain thing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Kssii. Ty for the advice and relating your story. It's so nice to know I'm not in this boat alone ;)

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Isn't there a chart on the site with approximate ROM for various tasks? Sounds like your ROM must be not can't be too bad if you can manage steps!

Found it:

These degrees of flexion are required for the following activities:
- 65° to walk,
- 70° to lift an object from the floor,
- 85° for stair climbing,
- 95° for comfortable sitting and standing
- 105° for tying shoelaces.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I apologize, been away from your thread for a while but I tried to catch up and got confused. It looks like you've had two MUAs for low ROM but now you're able to pedal a stationary bike (with seat high) and you're doing stairs better? Isn't that an improvement for you? Why does your first OS want to re-open your knee if you are making progress? What does he suspect is wrong?

I hope you feel better soon!
 
@Clipless. He doesn't believe I can do stairs and because my ROM isn't over 100 after two MUA's he said that is UNACCEPTABLE, I will NEVER be able to do stairs and he can't help someone who doesn't to help themselves. His exact words! I told him he's done all I'm going to allow him to do. I think it's jerky move on his part to use scare tactics to get me to do what he wants me to do by telling me I'll not be happy with my knee later and that it will not get anymore movement

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
ROM can continue to improve for a year or even longer after a TKR, so don't give up. Maybe a little rest and less emphasis on measuring your ROM for a while would help your knee?

Just to encourage you, here is what Campervan posted about her ROM after her first TKR (Thank you @Campervan ). She didn't have an MUA.
I had a slow recovery. Here's my flex measurements at various points:
92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months


Di your surgeon ever tell you what ROM he achieved when he did the MUA?
 
Isn't it true that MUA's can cause additional inflammation that takes time to resolve? I'm not sure about your particular circumstances, but everything sounds familiar: at 3 months I was barely 100° flexion, and I'd lose ROM during the course of the day- back to 90°. It was frustrating and uncomfortable, more so because I was working long hours on my feet and dealing with a lot of inflammation. I got reprimanded by my OS' PA for "not trying hard enough". :blackcloud: By 5 months I was 110°, and now (10 months post op) I am somewhere around 120°. My OS is pleased and so am I. I can't squat to my heels or sit properly cross-legged, but I can hike, climb stairs, and ride a bike. Hopefully I will keep improving!

Are you comfortable giving yourself a little more time to heal? Does your OS know for sure that adhesions are limiting your bend vs. inflammation?
 
@Celle both times he achieved 130/5. @Clipless at pt I was measuring 9ish and my leg was flat on the mat. When I went to the OS it was 2:30 p.m. I had been active all day. Even the MA mentioned it was swollen. Yes I'm very comfortable with giving myself more time and every time I see him he never mentions swelling on MUA. But I would think he would consider swelling because it's common sense right?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
@Celle both times he achieved 130/5.
That tells me you didn't have adhesions, so yet another MUA would be pointless. There really is no need to rush to get ROM, as the idea that there is a "window of opportunity" is a fallacy.
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Isn't it true that MUA's can cause additional inflammation that takes time to resolve?
Clipless is correct. Each time you have an MUA, there is a certain amount of soft tissue damage, which can result in inflammation and swelling. It usually sets you back for a while.

Honestly, I think that a couple of weeks spent doing very little exercise and concentrating on rest, elevate, ice with just a little, very gentle exercise will help your knee. Why not try it? There's nothing to lose, even if it doesn't work.
 
At the OS and they want to do another manipulation (THIS MAKES 3). I said HELL NO and cried. Now it's my fault and I'm accused of not helping myself so he's discharging me!!
because I need to be pushed hard. I think I'm going to decline that too
he said that is UNACCEPTABLE, I will NEVER be able to do stairs and he can't help someone who doesn't to help themselves.
I think it's jerky move on his part to use scare tactics to get me to do what he wants me to do by telling me I'll not be happy with my knee later and that it will not get anymore movement
All of this is outrageous behaviour for an OS! Totally outrageous. He should be working with you not ordering you about like a recalcitrant schoolgirl! I am proud of you that you stood up to him and said no! Be proud of yourself.

You may find another local surgeon will be a bit leery of taking you one so you may have to go further afield. However, you can do the rest of this yourself. I suggest you try it for about 2-3 months and then if you're not making any headway, then get a second opinion. That he got you to 130 in both MUAs tells me uncategorically that your ROM is all there just waiting for the swelling and pain to go away to show itself. It will in time. Just be patient. I bet you anything that in about 3-4 months time you will be there!

Did I ever suggest you read my recovery threads to see how little exercising I did?
First knee. Knee recovery - UK style
Second knee. Josephine's 2nd knee story - short version where I did even less!
 
Hi @Pumpkinseed, I happened upon your thread and started reading and realize you are having quite a time of it with this TKR and two MUA's. It sounds to me that you are getting some improvement and that everyone does not heal and achieve the ROM at the same time and rate. I ended up back at PT again at about 8 months due to knee stiffness and pain. I have RA so I cannot compare my healing to the "normal" or "routine" healing process as I have other issues going on. I think you are wise to discharge your present OS and get a second opinion as it seems the first OS needs to go back to school and learn some patient bedside mannerisms. Shame on him. i pray that you are feeling better soon. Don't worry too much about the amount of pain medication you are taking as long as you are following the MD orders. If you need it take it. I needed it around the clock for three months and still have some pain in the knee and other areas due to RA even going on 2 years. When I need it I take it.I wish you well and hope things get better for you especially with finding a new OS. Take good care of yourself. :loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom