Guest viewing is limited

TKR Over did it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well they say they can but I've never seen any evidence that would convince me. Besides which, actual adhesions are very rare. Mostly restrictions in ROM are due to unmanaged swelling.

I recommend you read my recovery threads to see how little exercising I did!
First knee. Knee recovery - UK style
Second knee. Josephine's 2nd knee story - short version where I did even less!
 
That's incredible!!! I think for me right now my depression comes from the fact that my leg is not straight and walking on a bent knee is not fun at all and causes pain. I don't know what to expect being 2 mos out and 3 weeks post MUA. I don't trust what the OS says anymore but also scared I'm not doing something right! Very unsure of myself right now

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Riding a stationary bike has been my primary form of exercise. Hang in there. There are lots of wise folks here.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Pumpkinseed,
You have a lot on your mind, it is so hard when you lose confidence in your physician. The weekend is almost here, if I were you, I would spend it following the Bonesmart mantra, Rest, Ice, Elevate, and Medicate on schedule as prescribed. Do a few gentle Heel slides and how to do them , walk around the house a little and call it good.
:sleeep:, :ice:, :elevate:, and :chillpill: on schedule. :console2:
 
@Pumpkln thank you for that. I will definitely take your advice. I've also just emailed my primary Dr to give me a referral for a second opinion. I really like her and I know she'll send me to a good one. I have yet to get an xray from my OS because he feels it's not necessary. He can tell what's wrong without it. Thank goodness I don't work because that would be impossible right now.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
I don't know what to expect being 2 mos out and 3 weeks post MUA.
Put it another way - you;re 8 weeks out which is very, very early in this process.
I've also just emailed my primary Dr to give me a referral for a second opinion.
It's much too early for a second opinion. I doubt any surgeon would agree to see you until at least 4 months out, probably 6.
I have yet to get an xray from my OS because he feels it's not necessary. He can tell what's wrong without it.
It is unnecessary. These kinds of issues a) don't show up on xrays or MRIs and b) are nothing to do with the implants.
Thank goodness I don't work because that would be impossible right now.
Well that's okay because the general time for return to work is at least 12 weeks.
 
That's the answer 90-95%* of the time, Pumpkinseed. It's that 5-10%* that keeps us worrying and wondering that contributes to making being patient that much more difficult.

*Statistics made up completely off the top of my head. They hold no bearing on reality.
 
@Pumpkinseed

It often takes a lot longer to achieve a straight position with your leg than it does to get a satisfactory bend, especially if you were walking with a bent leg before your surgery.
There are big muscles, tendons and ligaments at the back of your knee, which have all probably tightened up over time. So, it is going to take time for them to loosen up and stretch again. Time and patience (yes, that horrible word again! :heehee:) are going to be your friends.

Just keep working at them a little bit at a time, and gently. Don't overdo the exercises. I expect you've come across these, but here are some exercises that you can do at home:
Extension: exercises for improvement

I hope this helps.
 
Yes I have seen those and do them during commercials. They are quite challenging. Some more than others lol. Thanks for the support and encouraging words. My hammies were extremely tight years before surgery and yes I had a slight bend in my knee even then. But not noticible like now tho. I will continue to work harder but in a smart way ;D

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
My hammys were quite sore for several weeks. They're feeling much better now, so you have improvement to look forward to in that area. Extension took me quite a while to achieve zero on, and even now, I kind of have to work on it, so I'm paying attention to stretching my knee straight (I can't believe how good it feels to do that).
 
If ONLY I could say it feels good. How long did it take you to get 0 extension? Can't wait to see improvement on the soreness and extension. I went to the fitness room in our complex and actually got the pedals around. Although the seat was high is was happy because a few weeks ago I couldn't do that. It's a regular exercise bike unlike the recumbent bike at pt which is MUCH easier.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
I barely made it at 12 weeks out, and even now I'm not certain I'm maintaining it, but I am done with outpatient PT, so nobody is measuring.
 
Although everyone's progress is different, thanks for supplying that info it gives me something to go by

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
So in other words, I need to be PATIENT?
Honey, that's why they call is PATIENTS!! :snork:

They are quite challenging. Some more than others lol.
Let me tell you how I did in this problem: at about 8 weeks I realised my extension was about +8 degrees. I did ONE exercise which was to put my heel on as tool at various times and let gravity to the job. At first I could only tolerate about 6 seconds so that's all I did, about 4-5 times during the course of the day. The next day I manage 15 seconds, the next about 30. It was about 2 weeks before I saw any change in my extension. Patience is key! You don't need to do more than one stretch. "A horse won't work any harder because it is being beaten"!
 
At the OS and they want to do another manipulation (THIS MAKES 3). I said HELL NO and cried. Now it's my fault and I'm accused of not helping myself so he's discharging me!!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
 
Pumpkinseed - so sorry for your disappointment and stress. Certainly time to find a new OS now. Start with your PCP, but do research on your own for an OS that is experienced AND caring.
 
Whoa! Another MUA, glad you said NO!
It is NOT your fault, it is just the way your body responds, nothing you could do or not do will change that. :console2:
Here are the flexion and extension exercises in the library, you can do these gently.
Heel slides and how to do them
Extension: exercises for improvement

I would say at this point you will want to find another OS. I would start looking for a surgeon who specializes in revisions, they have the experience with complicated knees and can best help you.

You can start your search using the find a clinic button at the top of the page.
You may have to go to Denver or Vail.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom