THR Ouch's Odyssey the Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slow and steady, Carol Anne, slow and steady! Just reminding you that you're not even 2 weeks post-op yet, and if I'm right, a mile is something like 2,200 steps! That's a LOT!!!!! Hopefully you'll have an easy and quick recovery - but I know I was so eager to use that new joint in the beginning that it was easy to overdo before I even realized it! You've read it a thousand times on the forum - listen to your body, and don't think that resting and icing are overrated! ;-)

I'm so happy you are making such great progress - may it continue day by day, week by week!!!!! xoxox
 
Thanks, Robin @DizzyBlond you are right. I'm 1 week and 2 days out. A week ago I had just gotten home and was still struggling to get in and out of bed. I ended up at 2,015 steps (assuming I don't have to make another potty trip before midnight). According to my Fitbit that's .87 miles. I'm paying for it now. I think it will a long night. The Tylenol 3 was fine during the day, but Hoo boy it's not touching the pain now. Luckily a new tv season has started and I have been recording a lot of shows. Anyway it is glad to hear how well you are doing and how much you are driving! Since chauffeur is my main mom job these days, getting back to driving is key. (Of course it will be awhile since I need the painkillers still).

@Medfordart Thanks for the encouragement!
 
Just got the staples out.
Boy am I worn out. Good news is I was able to get into our huge SUV. It was a long walk into the office and then over an hour wait. Hip looks good. Incision is great. I'm allowed to shower. Got a script for more pain meds and out patient pt. I'm allowed to drive next week and have an appointment in a month when he will likely lift my restrictions.
Best of all I get to SHOWER!
Oh, and I have permission to sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs. Yay!

Oh and those of you telling me not to overdo will be proud of me. I planned to go to the Board of Education meeting tonight and even have a ride lined up. Now I realize that may not be the smartest idea and plan to snuggle in my nest with my 9 year old and read the new book he brought home from school today instead.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Now you're talk in', OUCH!!! Take it easy girl!! There's no merit badge for being the first to drive, or first to walk a mile. My goodness, be kind to your investment. You've just been allowed your first shower...and rationing your Oxys.....be kinder to yourself! Time snuggling and reading sounds like just what the doctor would order!
 
Thanks @Nana2-8 I know you are right. Not trying to win any awards, I'm just completely amazed at how "easy" the recovery from this surgery as opposed to others I have had. Also excited to have the pain I have lived with for half my life to be (almost) a thing of the past. I also want to take some pressure off my husband. Just being able to drive myself to PT will be a help. Being able to drive our kids to their various activities again will be HUGE for the whole family. BUT I also don't want to do too much too soon because then everyone will think I can go back to doing everything, when we here all know the full recovery takes awhile.

But the acrimony at the board of Ed meeting will go on if I am there or not. I can get reports from friends and watch the video of it later.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to see you doing so well.

Keep in mind that returning to activities like driving the kiddos around town will probably reduce your stamina for walking and PT for a bit. That is certainly understandable. Slow and Steady.
 
Thanks @gullimac for the reminder. I want to be able to do it all! Even though I am allowed to drive next week, I don't think I will drive much farther than pt (a couple miles away) for awhile. I get tired too quickly, and just riding today was painful.
Good to be reminded by someone who has been there done that.
 
Oh, yes.... that familiar, "I feel so much better that I think I'll _________________" - and later in the day, the next day or ever a few days later, OUCH!!! Here come the consequences of pushing it, too much, too soon! You're finding the balance of "enough" vs. "too much," and it's something you'll continue to figure out as healing continues, strength returns and life begins to look more and more like normal!!! Hope you had a sweet time of reading and nesting with your son - oh, how quickly those days pass... before you know it, they'll be grown and gone!
You're having a great recovery, Carol Anne - I'm so, so happy for you!!!!! :yes:
 
Not winning any merit badges here today unless there is one for sleeping. I was awake until after midnight last night, but then slept until noon except for saying good morning to my kids from my bed.
Got up, had my breakfast protein shake and coffee and was back in bed asleep again for a few hours. I wanted to walk outside, but I'm still in my Jammie's and was just too lazy to get dressed.
My home PT only comes 3 times this week, so today was a do nothing day.
I may do some of the in bed excercise when I get back in bed, but may not.
Now, I'm just trying to stay awake through dinner.

Thanks Robin, @DizzyBlond definitely looking for the balance. Thank you for the encouragement!
 
Haha- you are funny talking about merit badges for sleeping ! I'm not giving you any competition there but could earn a badge for laying around. I do feel quite lazy with all this resting. I'm not used to this at all. But I know it's what we need to do at this point.

Like you I'm anxious to return to previous activity levels but I know I'm not ready. I am excited when I wake up and the hip feels so good I want to jump out of bed and run around, then I carefully get up and the muscles talk back! Baby steps..we need baby steps.

I was inspired by your steps the other day so clipped on my pedometer 2 days ago. I logged 1500 and 2400 steps in the last 2 days respectively. I felt good in PT yesterday and they said I could try walking with a cane around the house so of course I did as soon as I got home. That's definitely harder and will take some practice. When I woke today I had some moderate pain in the front of my thigh. So I probably overdid it yesterday. Today was spent resting and icing with short walks. Steps back down to 1300. For the first time since surgery I didn't do my PT exercises- I started and my thigh was killing me so I listened and let it rest.

That's great that you got your staples out! I can't wait to get mine out on Thursday. I'm a bit nervous about how that will feel but I will survive some little staples after this fancy new joint.

Take it easy and know that I'm in the same situation as you. We will get back to our normal lives eventually. For now we must rest.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Home PT discharged me today and gave me clearance to walk on my own (meaning without someone with me. I still need the cane). Today is the first day I felt like I would be comfortable walking outside without someone with me.
I think the day of sleep yesterday was just what I needed. I feel like a different person today.
 
Thanks @Medfordart I hope your next one is as easy!

I am amazed. I do wonder if it could partly be because I have so many surgeries and so many orthopedic things before. I all ready knew how to do most things the PT and OT taught me. No clue.

I just can't wait for the day when I can walk my son to school again. I know that is a long while off.
 
This is not strictly a recovery post, but it is related.

My husband has been working from home since my surgery. I was just thinking this morning as he got the boys ready for school about when I should/could send him back to the office. I was feeling almost guilty for him having to his job and my job too. Working from home is very doable, but not ideal.

Then, he came in the room to show my photos on his phone.
There was a huge train crash at Hoboken station which he commutes through to get to work. It was not on his line, but did happen in the window of time when he would have been going through the station. Many of the injured were not on the train itself, but in the station. No more feeling guilty for needing his help here at home.
It will likely be weeks until the station is repaired well enough for commuting to be back to normal, so I guess I will be blessed to have him at home a while longer.
My thoughts and prayers are with the injured and with the families of those who did not survive.
Sure puts things in perspective.
 
Yes...this will really slow down the northeast corridor. Prayers for those involved! Thankful that your husband was able to be home. I am sure there will be a lot of scrambling and change of work schedules in this area.
 
Just got caught up on your recovery and I'm happy to see you're coming along nicely! I've been watching the news all morning about the train wreck. So very sad. What a blessing that hubby was home with you instead of standing near the train! God works in mysterious ways! :-)
 
I am very glad your husband was not at that station. And I feel so badly for all those hurt and for their families. Cherish your hubby at home awhile longer!
 
Hi Carol Ann (@OUCH! ) - so sorry about that horrible train accident at Hoboken station, and glad you and your husband weren't around at the time. I hope none of your relatives and friends were, either. It must have been a major accident, because it got into the German news. My husband and me were in New York in 1981 - but I'm sure it's change a lot.
Wishing you the best for your great hip recovery
Constanze
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom