Thank you all - your support and encouragement means everything to me. So happy I found this group.
Mojo333, I'm so glad you're managing your stenosis so well. A 4-mile walk - fantastic!! I ignored the pain for many months (maybe longer) until it became unbearable, at which point I had an MRI and discovered that the nerve roots on both sides at three vertebrae were being "crushed". I was offered injections, etc., but having been through something similar 13 years ago with one vertebra lower down, I opted for surgery as soon as possible - I had to go privately, and even then had to wait three more months, as it was during the pandemic, and the NHS was using operating theatres in private hospitals for cancer surgery - quite rightly, too!! By that time the nerve damage was permanent. I have been able to regain some strength and function in the foot, but I've been told it's unlikely to get any better now. I know what you mean about fear of falling - me too; I have been terrified ever since my first spinal surgery. I have fallen a few times since then, luckily I don't think I did much damage - but I am super-careful now, especially in winter. I have nightmares about walking sticks slipping on icy pavements!!
Take care, go well, and thank you again for your words of wisdom, encouragement, and support. They are so appreciated.