THR Opposite side!

Thanks, Clairebella. I've been using Bio Oil on the incision (the nurse who checked it at 14 days advised keeping it moisturised), so maybe I'll add some gentle massage to that and see what happens.

I am just about healed up and to this point! Please keep us informed about how it goes!

Regarding massaging the scar....how often did you do that?

I'm not fully healed but I'd massage too if it helped.

Thanks.

I didn't massage my scars... I think after 2-3 months, I did keep it soft with bio-oil and coconut oil....

Everyone heals on a different timeline so it is hard to make suggestions, but massaging a scar that is not fully healed can damage the developing scar tissue, which can delay healing.

For about six weeks after surgery the scar becomes red, firm and hard. This is the body's way of making a very strong and solid scar. Over the next four months the scar will soften and lose the redness. This is the normal process of scarring.

My hippy scars are fine white lines now.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
It's been awhile since you updated. I hope all is well.
Let us know how you're doing next time you're on the forum, we'd love to hear from you.
All the best!
@CherryRed

Hello Hippie friends - and thank you, Layla. I'm doing well. Recovery has been slower than I expected, and I was feeling discouraged until I saw the physio at the hospital for my 6-week post op check. She was immensely reassuring, said my range of movement was excellent for 6 weeks, and still having some pain was completely normal. I had stopped taking co-codamol, but she thought it was too early to do that; on her advice I got a prescription for 15 mg codeine from the GP and am taking it alongside paracetamol.
She also reassured me about how long my recovery's taking - especially since I have an extra challenge - my post-op 'good' left leg was my pre-op 'bad' leg, with permanent nerve damage weakness in the foot from spinal stenosis. I was walking with two sticks before the op; if I can eventually get down to one - and I now think I will - that would be enormous progress.
She also asked me if I'd been attending the physio sessions at the hospital, and was amazed when I said no one told me about them. "You should have had a referral! Did no one refer you for physiotherapy?" I said I'd been sent home with a badly photocopied leaflet and nothing else. She was going to look into it and see if she could get me a referral, but I've heard nothing so far. I'm not really concerned - mostly thanks to this group. I'm walking, doing a couple of the badly photocopied exercises twice a day, and planning to go back to my seated Pilates class after Christmas. (And trying not to feel bad when a friend tells me his wife was off crutches 5 days after her op!)
So - apologies for the long response, but I'm going to make it a tiny bit longer to say THANK YOU! to this wonderful, warm, supportive group. You've been such a huge help, especially in the early days. You are amazing. Big hippie hugs to you all. :hugzz: :loveshwr:

trying not to feel bad when a friend tells me his wife was off crutches 5 days after her op!
Please don't compare your recovery to any other. Every THR is different - even on the same person. It sounds like you are doing very well!

:hi: I am glad to see you got some reassurance at your appointment.
. I had stopped taking co-codamol, but she thought it was too early to do that; on her advice I got a prescription for 15 mg codeine from the GP and am taking it alongside paracetamol.
Glad you are willing to still deal with relief help. I still needed some extra pain meds at 2 months out, especially at night....
She also reassured me about how long my recovery's taking - especially since I have an extra challenge - my post-op 'good' left leg was my pre-op 'bad' leg, with permanent nerve damage weakness in the foot from spinal stenosis.
I think @myglasshalffull deals with this too....
(And trying not to feel bad when a friend tells me his wife was off crutches 5 days after her op!)
Oh, my. Aways a one off, and 2 months really is nothing.
Lots of improvement to come.

It sounds like all is quite normal after 6 weeks, I was still on a walker at 6 weeks so don't feel like you aren't progressing. This is a fairly long recovery for most of us, yes, there are those that go mountain climbing, play tennis and ski after 2 weeks but that is not the norm and for those that are in that great of shape I say congrats! I was in great shape before I slid on ice and fractured my hip, but bad luck happens. Has nothing to do with how great shape you are in prior to surgery! Doesn't hurt to be physically fit but recovery is recovery and some breeze through it and some don't.
I have spinal stenosis, just found that out this past summer. I had attempted to go back to work as a server late March early April and I was doing ok for about week to 10 days and then WHAM, I could barely walk. Thought it was my hip but that was fine after MRI turns out I have spinal stenosis in my back. They scheduled me for pain meds in my back but after about 2-3 weeks the pain subsided and I cancelled the appt for shots. I did stretches each AM and seemed to help as well as rest and ice, also heating pad when I felt like it.
Haven't attempted going back to server work, I've been dog sitting and doing a lot of walking, yesterday 4 miles!
I'd say it did take me full year to feel like I was healed. Plus I know I'm extra cautious cause I'm nervous about falling. They drill into your head not to fall and that's in back of my mind some days. Over the course of a year you will enjoy milestones, something you will do that you couldn't do a few days ago, those are the days you savor. That's when you feel you will get better and you will be back to normal once again.
Stay well!

Thank you all - your support and encouragement means everything to me. So happy I found this group.
Mojo333, I'm so glad you're managing your stenosis so well. A 4-mile walk - fantastic!! I ignored the pain for many months (maybe longer) until it became unbearable, at which point I had an MRI and discovered that the nerve roots on both sides at three vertebrae were being "crushed". I was offered injections, etc., but having been through something similar 13 years ago with one vertebra lower down, I opted for surgery as soon as possible - I had to go privately, and even then had to wait three more months, as it was during the pandemic, and the NHS was using operating theatres in private hospitals for cancer surgery - quite rightly, too!! By that time the nerve damage was permanent. I have been able to regain some strength and function in the foot, but I've been told it's unlikely to get any better now. I know what you mean about fear of falling - me too; I have been terrified ever since my first spinal surgery. I have fallen a few times since then, luckily I don't think I did much damage - but I am super-careful now, especially in winter. I have nightmares about walking sticks slipping on icy pavements!!
Take care, go well, and thank you again for your words of wisdom, encouragement, and support. They are so appreciated.

Hi @CherryRed
It's good to hear that you had positive feedback from the PT, it always helps to know that you're moving in the right direction.

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a happy holiday season and wonderful New Year!
@CherryRed

Thank you so much, Layla! Can't believe it's three months already. I'm doing really well - completely off painkillers, no walking aids indoors (though I'm still using two sticks outdoors, as the neuropathy and damage on my left side is still just as bad, and I'm still unbalanced). I'm looking forward to going back to Pilates classes in January.
I am so immensely grateful for all the support and encouragement I've received on this forum. I have been telling everyone about it, whether they're having joint replacements or not. Thank you especially, Layla, for noting all my anniversaries! Sending good wishes to everyone here - Happy Chanukah, Merry Christmas, Solstice Blessings, Happy Kwanzaa - whatever you celebrate, and even if you don't, have a safe, happy, healthy holiday season! Love to you all.

You're welcome, CherryRed! it is so nice to hear from you. I'm happy to read you're doing well and hope you notice improvement with the neuropathy given more time. It's great you have your Pilates class to look forward to in the new year. We are thankful you are willing to share your healing journey with us and hope to hear from you as time allows. I wish you Happy Holidays and many blessings in 2024!
@CherryRed

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Eehamm
Recent bookmarks