Guest viewing is limited

Op was off - and then on again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Natalie...I think I was about where you are in recovery. When I was getting out of the car and had a meltdown about my husband having to drive me everywhere and hauling my walker in and out of the car.

You are perfectly normal! There is a good thread in the library about post surgery blues. When the kids are in school, get a couple of good movies and lock the family OUT!
 
Hi Nat-

I cried and cried that first month over everything too. I'd cry because I wanted some sympathy and I'd cry if someone gave me some. I'd cry at all the daytime TV shows. Boy were they depressing. I cry when I'd read a book. I'd cry on the telephone. I thought I was losing it! Once I got off those narcotics I didn't look back and felt so much better. At four weeks when I was off the blood thinners I switched to the mega doses of Ibuprofen. That is my mircle drug.

I also used a CPM immediately after surgery. They had me in one at the hospital and at home for the first month or so. Do they do that in the UK? That way you can still keep your knee moving a little which also helps the swelling. I was on that machine 8 hours a day. I hated it but it really did help me. I know not all dr's suggest it but in case I'm really glad I had it. I agree you just can't worry about your ROM too much yet if you are really swollen. But you should be doing some gentle motions like heel slides to help the fluids move out of your knee. You said PT did recommend some exercises right? Maybe some straight leg raises and also keep tightening your quads. Work more on your extension than bending. That's most important. The bending will come after your swelling is reduced.

Yeah she pooped! You and I have a lot in common Nat. Constipation is been a big problem for me too. In fact when I had my hysterectomy a couple of years ago I wasn't worried at all about the possibility of cancer but was more worried about pooping! From all my previous knee surgeries I knew how hard that is afterwards and I kept bringing it up to the dr to make sure she understood that was a huge problem. Ended up taking Miralax and I continue taking it to this day. I have asked two internists and my OB-GYN if it is ok to continue to take daily and they all say it is ok. My OB-GYN really likes the drug and highly recommends it if you have problems. Worked great for me.

If I was closer I'd buy you an ice cream treat! Take care-
Martha
 
I'm trying not too the ex mother in law has phoned or been every day and asked if I have been out for a walk and that I need to be doing more every day!

Ask ex m-i-l where she got her medical qualifications :hissy:.

Hang tough Natalie. You are doing the right thing. Walks and social stuff will come in time.
 
I am glad you are getting ack to some of the actiities you were doing pre op Rebecca and no wonder you are so proud of your son that's an amazing achievement I hope he has a fab time on the school trip :catkiss:

I agree about the 6 month mark I will be more than happy to wait that long to feel anywhere near normal again it seems like no time at all when you have had the disease for so very long!
 
Aw bless you Martha ice cream sounds good :)

I have had so many issues with constipation but I think the Fybogel Jo reccommended is the answer :)Hopefully!!What is Miralax?

Physio said to continue with the heel slides but not to push it to hard and continue with the leg raises I can tell the swelling has gone down already!!:)

Hope your ok Martha xxx
 
Oh yes Jaycey she knows exactly what I should be doing because her friend had a knee replacement and she was doing so much more than me!:skp:

The amount of people who have said oh my friend,auntie brother etc was doing this at 4 weeks post op I really could scream at them!:hissy:
 
The amount of people who have said oh my friend,auntie brother etc was doing this at 4 weeks post op I really could scream at them!:hissy:

Yes - and let me guess. These lovely people haven't actually had the op themselves, right. They don't realise the damage those stupid statements create.

As Jo has just said earlier - what's with all this "I should be doing xxx now?" Please - it's not like you are sitting around enjoying yourself. :rant:

Hope you are feeling better on your meds now Natalie!
 
What is Miralax?

Nat, Miralax is a laxative that is not a stimulant like most. Even though doctors seem to be prescribing it for long-term use in some cases, it is not approved for that in the USA. It is supposed to be used only for short periods of time.

If the Fibrogel works, I'd stay with that. It's much safer for your system.
 
You're right Jaycey they just know of someone who has had the op!
The pain is a lot less today now I've decreased the exercises,I'm still doing them not as much though,I have had a really lazy day too after only a few hours sleep last night!
Jamie thankyou for explaining what Miralax is.I will be sticking to Fybogel it's like a miracle!
 
Natalie, I would encourage you to follow the directions you have been given by your therapists to completely STOP the exercises for now. Even doing "not as much" can keep the inflammation going in your knee and not give it the time it needs to calm down. Please, please.....simple heel slides, stretches...that's it for at least a week or so.
 
I will do Jamie it is so hard and I am so scared that I will end up not recovering properly from this op,I have had so many MUA's in the past :(
 
You had MUAs after what surgeries? And overdoing exercise will get you adhesions far more quickly than resting it. That's what we've been trying to tell you all this time.

If it helps, let me tell you about my exercise programme during my recovery

In hospital I did about 5 heel slides in bed or in the chair - maybe twice or three times a day
I also walked down the corridor about 2 or 3 times a day.
I was in and out of my bathroom and had a shower each day.

At home, I did get around the house but only when I had to. Mostly I spent hour upon hour in my recliner, same as I always had (and have). The internet and forums are an incredibly efficient way of eating up the hours!
I again did a few heel slides maybe twice a day but not every day. Never did any straight leg raises - can't do them on a recliner! Used my bike about 3 times for about 5 mins each time! Once I was able to go all the way round I gave that up too!
Other than that, I did all the usual things like feed the cats and do a bit of washing up. No cleaning, shopping or anything like that.
About week 4, I started going out for walks.
-- day 1 was to the gate and back, about 15 feet with 2 crutches, walking very slowly
-- day 2 was out of the gate and across the road, about 30 feet!
-- day 3 was down the road past a couple of houses
-- day 4 was half way down the close
and so on. By day 7 I took a long walk into the estate and got lost! It took me about an hour to find my way home again. Having accomplished that, I never walked anywhere again as I hate walking. I made a total of three visits to the physio who measured my ROM and said she didn't want to see me any more!

So after all that 'intensive' exercise, I am now at 135 degrees!
 
Jo you are such a wonderful person thankyou thankyou so much for posting that :) I am doing far more than that!

I think I just felt under pressure to achieve the knee bend which is silly really :(

I had an MUA after 3 scopes and 2 open knee synevctomies,my knee has always has poor bend and I don't think I have achieved 90 degrees in 7 years apart from under GA.
 
I had an MUA after 3 scopes and 2 open knee synevctomies,my knee has always has poor bend and I don't think I have achieved 90 degrees in 7 years apart from under GA.
I can understand your concerns with that history. Synovectomies are infamous for causing adhesions. It was their one big failing and why they tend not to be used any more. I would suggest that probably the issues after scoping might have been hangovers from the synovectomies (except now you're going to tell me the scopes came first! :hehe:)

All I know is that, from my own personal observation and experience, trying to fight for flexion after a TKR doesn't gain much except a grossly swollen knee which then can't bend because the swelling is acting like a splint. Therefore, the sensible approach is to first deal with the swelling and then the flexion. See?
 
I totally see and thankyou so much for explaining and helping Jo Especially as you aren't feeling very clever yourself x

Regarding the scopes and open surgeries I had 2 scopes then 2 open front and back then more scopes the MUAs were all performed at about 4 months post op.

I intent to rest now I need to get the kids back into school the next 2 days so I'll have to be up and helping the youngest in the morning but I will rest till he comes homes at 330pm and just throw in a few heel slides :) xxx
 
So this is what I did today

Up this morning for Ciaran's first day at school I made brekkie sat on my perching stool and Ciaran carried the bowls to the table I'm still on 2 crutches,he went off to school and I came back up the stairs with ice and took my meds and did some knee slides then elevated and iced.Then just watched some TV and got up and down to the toilet every hour or so till lunchtime.Had Oramorph for pain.

Went to make lunch and again get ice and did some gentle exercises and then tried to nap which is so impossible the phone, the door, the daughter all made it a problem!Had Oramorph for pain again.

Husband came in at 3ish and I was in loads of pain so I iced again and we had tea at 5ish and I did some more exercises,pain had eased off by now.

7pm meds taken and all ok have a shower and get some supper and I am in agony now I have ice on and no doubt will need Oramorph soon :rant:

So does this all seem ok to you?

Also did anyone get nightmares after surgery?
 
It's a start in the right direction. One day of taking it sort of easy won't do it. It obviously was more than your knee wanted or it wouldn't be hurting so much. If you just "got" supper and didn't actually prepare it, that's good. I can't tell what activity was involved with the afternoon antics of "the phone, the door, and the daughter." Thankfully she will be in schooll starting tomorrow. Then...let the phone and the door go!!!
 
Lol!No I didn't answer the door luckily Lucia was hear to get it but the phone keeps going which is lovely as it is well wishers but I may have to take the ring off tomorrow!

I helped Lucia choose which school shirt she was going to wear tomorrow but she came and sat on my bed with all her uniform :thmb:

Thanks Jamie it's good to get a 2nd opinion on what I am doing isn't too much xx
 
Nat,

You are doing a lot! It may not seem like it, but even just trying to do regular stuff and especially the before and after school stuff keeps you up too much. I really finding that this week with my son back in school. I am up way too much and it's exhausting! I turn the ringer off on my phone when I want to nap or rest -- there is nothing worse than having a phone ring jar you when you're just about asleep! If you can't turn the ringer or the phone off, put in really far away from you, outside, or under a pile of clothes in the laundry basket.

I had great dreams initially, and then I went through a period of having terrible anxiety dreams. This, too, will pass.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom