TKR Onwards and upwards - my journey continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well news was as expected. I have got a bakers cyst and I have got deteriorating osteo arthritis in my knee. My consultant dosent really agree with steroid injections because it's only short term pain relief. I must admit he was very good we talked for at least 45 mins and he virtually left the decision up to me. He said he could see I am not ready in my mind for another op yet and I can manage the bakers cyst with pain relief and the usual icing and resting. He looked at my x rays from Saturday and from when I had the left knee x rayed just before replacement and there isnt a lot of difference. So its up to me to get in touch when I want to arrange the replacement. One good thing he noticed I had lost weight and told me to keep it up. So all in all not too much of a surprise and what I expected.
 
How is your left knee now, Pat @robynhood ?
Sometimes I feel we're on a merry-go-round....we get back to the beginning and start again.
Decisions are difficult sometimes.
:friends:
 
My left knee is very good @Dabber although still a bit stiff when bending and Mr Banim did mention my ROM wasn't brilliant but as I said to him I can do everything I need to with the ROM I have. I had so many problems with it in recovery I'm satisfied it's as good as it's going to get. To be honest Im just taking each day as it comes now as regards the Bakers Cyst. When it swells a lot and touches nerves in my knee it's really painful and I just have to sit and rest. How are you. Hope you feeling ok.
 
Hi @robynhood, obviously all OSs have their own ideas, but even if he doesn't agree with the cortisone injections(& I think that 8-12 weeks pain relief is worth having, so that I don't have to take tablets every day) I don't understand why he wouldn't just drain the cyst. Loads of fluid came out when mine was drained, so obviously I could bend my knee more easily and there was no more danger of it swelling more and pressing on the nerves. Two weeks on and it seems that the injection has worked! it has completely reduced all inflammation so that the trapped cartilage is no longer painful (I suppose because it isn't swollen any more it is no longer trapped). I am thinking of putting off my scheduled arthroscopy and asking for another injection in May, all the time I'm pain free I can work on the muscles, strengthening them which hopefully will delay the arthroscopy and eventual TKR. I do hope that your knee improves for you, x Ellejay
 
When it swells a lot and touches nerves in my knee it's really painful and I just have to sit and rest.

Hi Pat, More pain. So sorry to hear this. I can understand completely your not being ready for more surgery. When you have had a difficult recovery with the first op its extremely hard to put yourself through it again. But I have read quite a few posts where people have said the second TKR was much easier. I make a point of remembering these posts because, like you, I will have to do it again at some stage.

Hoping things get a little easier. Carol
 
I was just starting to reread your thread, not got very far as yet. Have you had injections before as I found they bought me time? I'm hoping to have one in my shoulder. When I take my steroids the pain is minimal but when I stop it comes back so any relief is good. It's difficult to go back to living with pain. I'd like to think I could go back to the Nuffield for knee 2 but I doubt it, I think I'd have to go to Oswestry where they have an Oncology ward.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pat! I hate that you are having pain! My daughter had a bakers cyst and she has knee problems too. I just wanted to put my 2 cents in on injections...they do relieve the pain and even if it's for a short time it's worth it! My doctor agreed before my TKR that there wasn't any more damage those shots could cause that wasn't already there...so just for the relief from pain until you are ready to face another TKR I'd say get as many shots as you need! I hope all else is well! xoxo
 
Hi Ladies. Thanks for your comments. Yes I have had injections before on both knees but not while under this consultant. It was our favourite consultant Tomas Sue and it was a while ago. Mr Banim did say if I really wanted an injection to help with the pain I could go thru my GP and he had no objection to that. As I said earlier he as a consultant does not agree with injections or drainage. He is there to operate when the knee needs a replacement. So I know the decision is entirely up to me. I would say 80% of the time the Bakers Cyst does not bother me but the other 20% it is painful especially the nerve pain. He said my knee is too far gone for an arthroscopy so at the moment I am just taking time to consider my options. My left knee is doing so well I think its such a shame I got the Bakers Cyst at this time. Even tho he said my knee was in a terrible condition it has certainly not been as painful as the left knee prior to replacement. Thanking you all for your comments which I appreciate. And @micha so good to hear from you. It's been a while. Please let me know how you are doing.
 
Oh Pat so glad to hear your response! You seem to be right on top of your options and that is good. I am doing well...some problems with healing and may have a surgery in April but only to improve my healing - I am rowing, biking and staying active so no complaints really! I feel lucky to be going through life with little pain and few worries! I have been incommunicado I know but mostly doing well! xo
 
Hi @robynhood, I noticed you mentioned(in an earlier post, on another thread), having a static caravan on Anglesey. Although I've spent many holidays in North Wales, and I even climbed Snowdon and crossed Crib Goch many years ago, I don't know Anglesey at all. We are staying in a rental cottage there the week before Easter- any tips on what to do/ see or good places to eat?
We have a tourer which we keep in our back garden so we can up and go whenever the sun shines, but we will be off to France in it for two months in May & June, providing I can put the arthroscopy off that my OS wants to do mid May. I will beg for another guided injection, which hopefully will see me through until August and then I will have it done.
 
Hi Pat,
I'm sorry to hear that you have a bakers cyst but at least you have an explanation for your pain.
I had one set of steroid injections in my knees, both at the same time and I found they did help considerably as a short term measure.
It sound as though it was a really good meeting with the consultant. You are wise to take time to consider your options, not something you want to go rushing in to.
It's great that he noticed you had lost weight that can only help. I am managing to maintain my target weight and feel so much better for it and know that my new knees are grateful to be carrying three stones less.
Enjoy the sunny weekend and take care,
Hugs, Toothfairy x
 
Hi @Ellejay our static caravan was in Norfolk.we don't have that any more but we have a tourer sited in Anglesey . This will be our first season there so I'm afraid I don't know much about the place at all. The only place we have been previously in Angelsey was Trearddur Bay which was a beautiful beach. I hope you have a lovely time in your holiday cottage.
 
Thanks for coming back to me @robynhood, I'm looking forward to the trip, maybe not long walks on the beach yet, but short ones perhaps. If we find somewhere nice to visit I'll let you know.
 
Well the weirdest feeling ever in the back of my knee last night when I came to bed. I had taken painkillers and put ibuprofen gel on so it felt quite good. Then right at the back of the knee where the Bakers Cyst is I could feel a weird sensation almost like the knee was 'loosening' and just completely relaxing. That's the only way I can describe it. This morning when I got up the knee wasn't as stiff as it has been and I was walking without any pain. I have been out all day today shopping and I didn't have any problems at all with it. Now I have been told these cysts can come and go or maybe it was the pain but anyway today has been quite a relief from the last few weeks. I dont know what happened......... But I'm hoping it lasts.
 
Fingers crossed for you, that would be wonderful if it's just gone away, I hope it does last.
 
It's been great today. Perhaps for some reason it's not as swollen so not touching the nerves. Whatever the reason I'm pleased. My knee isn't as swollen and the bend is much easier. I will take this for as long as it lasts
 
Fingers crossed that this improvement lasts!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom