TKR Onwards and upwards - my journey continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awe Pat I'm sorry sorry about your diagnoses, please try and stay strong, you will handle what is thrown at you because that's who you are my friend. When we first hear ugly news we initially fall apart, but then as strong women we pick our selves up and tackle it head on, that's what makes us strong! (((HUGS)))

Husbands can be a pain in the :whistle: sometimes, not realizing the effect they have on us, than other times they do something that makes us think, Okay, what did you do with that insensitive husband of mine! :shrug: I guess we just won't fully ever understand them. I've been married 48 years this month, and that man can still get under my skin and make me cry, then I say, when the hell will that ever end?. I'm guessing because we love them it will never end, and I'm also guessing we as women are all in the same boat! Hang on to your paddle my friend, and keep paddling forward kiddo, less the boat sinks! :console2:

You gave a great smile on my face with that Halloween post, too cute!

Stay well and stay strong Pat! (((HUGS)))
 
Hi TF nice to hear from you. Went for second blood test today. results hopefully Friday. Fingers crossed
 
@robynhHello Pat,

I'm catching up a little. So sorry to hear about your diagnosis and hope you find a good way ahead. I am thinking about you and look forward to meeting up some time, not soon as I'm confined to barracks and hooked up to drips regularly.

I'm doing OK, a little wobbly today and maybe for a few days as I have my new injections to promote growth of stem cells. Otherwise I'm keeping happy and calm and am well looked after.

Wish the rain would stop long enough for a walk outside though!

Hugs,
Sue.
 
:console2: Me too Pat.... I was diagnosed in 2006. I take Metformin to compensate for being insulin resistant and control with diet and exercise. Much easier with the new knee. :wink: Lots of learning to this curve but it is controllable and your food does not have to be bland. Good start is oatmeal for breakfast. Rob and I put raisins in the water when we cook it and cinnamon. Oatmeal and cinnamon help lower blood sugar and the raisins sweeten it.... no need for sugar... and it keeps you from getting hungry before lunch. Easier than recovering from your knee surgery:whistle:

How crazy, you won't believe this, Creeker13, but all the way down here in FL, I made oatmeal this morning WITH raisins! ( actually added a bit of muselix) ..then I added some cut up dried apricots.. deliciouso! :heehee:

I had no idea it was great diabetes food! :thankyou:

Now ill try cinnamon too!

The doctors have me on glipitride and also tradjenta ( generic sounds like liptogliptryn)

Should we start a TKR- diabetes thread? Just sayin..... :giggle:
 
Good luck with the second blood test, Pat. I have to get my hemoglobin A1C run tomorrow for my physical next week. Never rains but it pours.... with all of my medical appointments needing blood I am feeling like a pin cushion!:doh:
Too funny Kathy!:heehee: From what I understand High fiber and complex carbohydrates pass through our bodies without being absorbed much themselves but take waste products out of our system and on out. The high fiber content of rolled oats (not quick oats) tends to hide some of the sugar in the food (the raisins also have fiber as well as natural sugars) and allow it to move through without our bodies taking in the sugar... An occasional cheat,:no-fin: Rob makes it with Apple juice & cinnamon and it tastes like apple pie for brekkie.
 
Well I now have to have blood test number 3 on Monday. I really don't know why but that is what my doctor has advised. It's the glucose one again the two blood tests and the glucose drink. So another wait. I'm just pleased I asked for another blood test and didnt start the Metformin as my doctor prescribed straight away.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Pat, it certainly sounds like the second blood test was a good idea.
At least it's being thoroughly investigated and you can then make an informed choice on treatment options.
I hope you don't have to wait too long for the results. How are you feeling health wise?
How is your knee doing?
Happy Sunday,
Hugs Toothfairy x :kittykiss:
 
Good luck with the second blood test, Pat. I have to get my hemoglobin A1C run tomorrow for my physical next week. Never rains but it pours.... with all of my medical appointments needing blood I am feeling like a pin cushion!:doh:
Too funny Kathy!:heehee: From what I understand High fiber and complex carbohydrates pass through our bodies without being absorbed much themselves but take waste products out of our system and on out. The high fiber content of rolled oats (not quick oats) tends to hide some of the sugar in the food (the raisins also have fiber as well as natural sugars) and allow it to move through without our bodies taking in the sugar... An occasional cheat,:no-fin: Rob makes it with Apple juice & cinnamon and it tastes like apple pie for brekkie.


Hi Creeker13, robynhood, and Toothfairy,

I saw the dr who handles my diabetes this week. My numbers are coming down...but she wants them all the way to 90 in the morning.
I just groaned....
She also told me that oatmeal is great food like you said? She suggested adding applesauce and bran ( in thirds) to help with constipation from the narcotics. Thankfully I've also been able to wean off the narcotic pills (narco) I am using the prescribed extra strength Tylenol and my internal morphine pump. ( Surgically embedded because of my severe back problems). I have a remote that let's me have 3 boosts a day to help with extra pain.

So I am hoping that problem is passing. I am trying to figure out the right combination of food which I also can cook at this point.
 
Oh Pat, Hi! I just caught up a little on some posts and I'm so sorry you are having to deal with the diabetes diagnosis - hopefully your tests will come back much better! I know how hard you work to eat right and exercise and this must be quite a punch! I wish we could all get together and be menopause witches clinking our glasses of brew! hee hee You take good care and let us know how the next tests come back. Sending hugs! xoxoMicha
 
Nice to hear from you Micha. Will let you know the last results. Hopefully tomorrow. Take Care. Hugs x x x
 
Hi Pat, I am back from my travels and popped by to catch up. How are things? Did you get the latest blood test result?
Hope its a good one.
Hugs Toothfairy x :yes!: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi TF. Hope youve had a good week. The weathers turned cold. I finally received the results yesterday. They came back as me being Impaired Glucose Tolerance which is pre Diabetes. The doctor said she looked at doctors comments from the lab, the first blood test which said I had type 2 diabetes and not the actual result which I found to be quite shocking. She added lessons learnt and in future will look at results and comments. Really! Anyway it does mean I have to watch my diet more carefully and get more exercise both of which I have done since TKR. I do feel a lot better with this result and I do not need to take the Metformin which I was,prescribed. So got there in the end but it's taken 3 weeks and 3 blood tests. I do wonder sometimes about our NHS. Hope you have a good weekend. Relax and don't do too much
 
Fantastic news Pat, well much better than actually having diabetes. Hopefully with that early warning you will be able to take steps to avoid getting type 2 diabetes.
Have they given you any guidance? I hope you will be monitored regularly to keep an eye on things.
How is your knee doing these days?
I have had a busy week. We travelled to Scotland to visit the family, travelled over 1000 miles in the car. I am pleased at how well my knees coped but I am a little stiffer than before I went. Hopefully now that I am back on my full exercise regime and back on my bike I will be back to normal in a few days.
It is good to be home. Lots of jobs to catch up with.
Have a great day and a good weekend,
hugs and a happy dance,
Toothfairy x :flwrysmile: :friends:
 
Hello Pat,
What a beautiful morning.
How are you doing? I hope you have had a good week,
hugs, Toothfairy x :kittykiss:
 
Hi TF thanks for dropping by. Had a lovely shopping day yesterday with the girls. I appreciate these days so much now after years of being unable to walk for any amount of time. Hope you are well and the newest knee is behaving. Have a very good week. Not many weeks left now till the man in the red suit comes Toothfairy
 
Help Pat, how are you doing?
I have survived my first week back at work. I only did two mornings this week which was enough as I was extremely busy both mornings.
I will be doing three mornings and two afternoons next week (one full day).
I am definitely sorer and stiffer after being at work but I am sure it will settle down as I adjust.
Can't believe it's nearly December.
Hope you are well,
Hugs,
Toothfairy x :bicycle2: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi TF good morning to you. Glad you survived your first week back. Be careful you rest well next week taking on more hours. I can't imagine going back to work after one knee never mind two. As well as all the other work at home in the run up to Christmas. I was hobbling around with a walking stick last year so I'm looking forward to a more active one this year . Take care. Hugs
[Bonesmart.org] Onwards and upwards - my journey continues








Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Pat,
I love your sleigh, did you make it or get it made? It's gorgeous!
I won't be doing much apart from working and resting next week. I'm having a lazy start to the day today.
TF x :kittykiss:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom