TKR Onwards and upwards - my journey continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Pat I know you are not around as much these days, so hope you don't mind me messaging you for a bit of advice. I'm asking you because I know it took you a full 12 months to recover.

I am really concerned that I don't seem to be making much progress. I am fortunate that I don't get any pain if I dont use my leg, but walking is so difficult. The tight band sits over my knee and it feels like a vice. Nothing seems to work - rest, ice and elevate makes no difference. It feels like a block of wood, a block of wood that aches. Does this sound like anything you experienced at the 7month stage? I am holding off going to see the OS because I suspect all he will say is `give it more time, it can take up to a year'. I wouldn't mind waiting a year if I knew I was going to get there. Its pretty scary.

Its difficult to say for certain, but I don't think things are getting worse, they just don't seem to be getting any better. Does this sound similar to your struggle. Carol
 
Hi Carol. Sorry to hear youre not feeling happy with your progress. It's something most of us feel at one point or another. I actually looked back on my thread and the worst point for me was six months when all progress seemed to stop. Your main concern seems to be tight band feeling whereas mine was more swollen knee and lack of ROM. I have felt that tight feeling and my leg feeling like a solid piece of wood but not all the time. It came and went. I think if I were you I would try and make an appt to see your OS. I know it can take up to a year which we all get drummed into us maybe they could take an X-ray to put your mind at rest there's nothing else going on. The best way to help our progress is walking and if you're not able to do that for any length of time it's not going to get any better really is it. I'm sure my knee wasn't as bad as yours at seven months. Mine was a very slow gradual recovery but the more I walked and got out and about the better it was. Hope you feel better soon. It's draining feeling youre getting nowhere and we all have so much patience and then it gets too much.
 
Hello Pat,
How are you doing?
I love that photo of you and Robyn.
It's a lovely morning here, surprising as the weather forecast was for torrential rain. Maybe that will come later.
Have a lovely weekend, hugs, Toothfairy x :bicycle2: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi TF I'm enjoying the weekend with my lovely Karlea being here for the weekend. We've been watching girlie films, shopping or course and eating lots of lovely food. What more could I ask. Have a good weekend everyone
 
Well today is the opposite to yesterday. Ever had one of those days when everything and everyone gets on your nerves. I'm getting the voodoo doll out again for the husband. Why can he have a day off on a Sunday but I cant. I might do a Shirley Valentine and disappear. Pack my bikini and a good book. That will scare the locals off. Only light at the end of the tunnel...... Downtown Abbey coming on soon. Think it might be wine o'clock till then. Ok moan over. Thank God for Bonesmart to mouth off. :gaah: :hairpulling:
 
Hi Pat,
I've just caught up.
Hope your stressy Sunday was replaced by a mellow Monday and a Terrific Tuesday.
Take care,
Hugs Toothfairy x :kittykiss:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Onwards and upwards - my journey continues
 
Hi Pat, robynhood, just checking in to see how you are doing. Guess, like me, as we improve are doing more things and just don't get the time to come on. I do feel rather guilty about it. Feel I should be giving back what I was given when I was recovering. But that's life I suppose these days - always in the fast lane :heehee:

Anyway, hope you are okay :flwrysmile:
 
Nice as always to hear from you Kathy. Not too good at the moment. Been feeling unwell for a while and today I found out I. Have type 2 diabetes which has floored me a bit. Also full of cold so feeling yucky. Hope you are well and that lovely family of yours. No improvements on my family problems but I live in hope. Take Care KathyH sending you hugs


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
[Bonesmart.org] Onwards and upwards - my journey continues
Oh, Pat, those witches can be the pits! So sorry you haven't been well. Know finding out you have type 2 diabetes has really taken the wind out of your sails. But you're a strong one and you will cope. And you know we're here to lean on and count on. You've definitely got my prayers and good wishes.

Take care and keep us posted 'cause you know we care.
[Bonesmart.org] Onwards and upwards - my journey continues
 
:console2: Me too Pat.... I was diagnosed in 2006. I take Metformin to compensate for being insulin resistant and control with diet and exercise. Much easier with the new knee. :wink: Lots of learning to this curve but it is controllable and your food does not have to be bland. Good start is oatmeal for breakfast. Rob and I put raisins in the water when we cook it and cinnamon. Oatmeal and cinnamon help lower blood sugar and the raisins sweeten it.... no need for sugar... and it keeps you from getting hungry before lunch. Easier than recovering from your knee surgery:whistle:
 
Hi Joy. Nice to hear from you. Its good to hear from someone else who has diabetes too. I'm still a bit stunned to be honest. My doctor has prescribed Metformin too but the side effects sound awful especially for someone like me who has stomach problems anyway. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens :) Good Luck with surgery number two. Hope everything goes well. Thank goodness my right knee is good at the moment. Consultant wants to see me in two years (fingers crossed) hope to hear from you more after your op while you are recovering. Hugs :friends:
 
Happy Halloween. Its almost over here in New Zealand at 9pm. We had a bunch of kids call and I gave them all lollypops that turn their tongue blue!
 
Hi Pat, so sorry to hear about your diabetes diagnosis.
No wonder you are in shock. It's a lot to take on.
You are a strong woman and you will get there with it but it's another steep learning curve. Just what you really didn't need at the moment.
Life is so very unfair at times.
I think you deserve a good rant and rave and to feel sorry for yourself for a bit and then you will be able to tackle this.
Sending you a hand to hold and a shoulder to cry on,
Hugs Toothfairy. Xxxx
Ps I love the pumpkin picture. It's so cute.
:console2: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Pat, hope you have had a good day today,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :kittykiss:
 
Wow...I too empathize with the diabetes diagnosis. Most people in my mother's side of family have it
My mom was terribly ill with its complications. :no-fin:

THAT SAID,I was diagnosed the day before my LTKR
inside I freaked, but I worked hard at keeping a grip and focusing. On surgery at hand
Nurses and drs were handling diabetes :flwrysmile:

Now I am home I am learning " the routine". Better diet, watching sugar numbers and exercise

Write me anytime to discuss. Diabetes has a lot of "little" side effects that chase us and you have to recognize, plan and address them



Hi Pat, so sorry to hear about your diabetes diagnosis.
No wonder you are in shock. It's a lot to take on.
You are a strong woman and you will get there with it but it's another steep learning curve. Just what you really didn't need at the moment.
Life is so very unfair at times.
I think you deserve a good rant and rave and to feel sorry for yourself for a bit and then you will be able to tackle this.
Sending you a hand to hold and a shoulder to cry on,
Hugs Toothfairy. Xxxx
Ps I love the pumpkin picture. It's so cute.
:console2: :flwrysmile:
 
Loved your Halloween pic, Pat :heehee: Was sorry to hear about your diabetes diagnosis (sent you a pm).

You will pick up from this latest set back, I know you will :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Pat, how are you doing?
It's a grey and dreary day here today. A perfect excuse for a quiet day in.
Have a good day, hugs Toothfairy x :dancy: :bicycle2: :console2:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom