Guest viewing is limited

TKR Onwards and upwards - my journey continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well today is a ' be nice to knee day' I think I've overdone it a little bit ODIC member definitely.with going away at the weekend and then trying to catch up on the exercise bike and doing my normal exercises I have one very swollen sore knee. So I've got an empty house so will spend the rest of the day elevating icing and medicating. Even at 6 months we can still overdue it and still pay for it.
 
Don't blame you, Pat. You pamper that knee today. Long for the day when our knees stop reminding us that they are new :whistle:
 
Good time to rest.... :angel: I find I often wake in the night when I do too much and both knees tell me 'slow down a bit'.:groan: A day of rest and I am good to go again....:yes:
Hope your weekend is a restful one!:martini:
 
Hi Pat, I hope your knee has settled after your day of resting it. It is such a balancing act getting the right amount of progress while not overdoing things. Hope you are having a lovely weekend and enjoying some lovely sunny sunshine.
Hugs, Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :SUNsmile: :SUNsmile:
 
Hi Toothfairy having a quiet weekend but feel a bit fed up to be honest. Everyone says reaching the 6 month mark is the start of real recovery but with my problems with ROM I just don't feel it. Doing my exercises regularly but just ends in a swollen knee and even less ROM. Feeling very deflated at the moment and had enough of it all. Been a long six months not to get very far. It feels better that I have rested it over the last few days but I'm sure that's not helping in the long run. Sometimes you just don't know what to do for the best and with no physio to advise and family all but forgetting about the TKR it's a bit depressing. Sorry didn't mean to go on. Sure I will feel better soon. Take care.
 
Hi Pat,
Sorry you are feeling blue. :skep:
Could you get your doctor to refer you back to the consultant for some advice on the best way forward?
You are not 'going on' you are truly fed up and feeling disappointed that you have not made the progress you hoped for after working hard for a long time. :tantrum:
I think it is time to get some expert advice and support. Time for that referral or another physio consultation. You need to have a professional opinion on your progress and a plan to help you get where you want to be.
Hang on in there, we are all here for you. :yes:
At times like this it would be good to meet up for real!
Sending a virtual hug, a huge bunch of the most beautiful and scented virtual flowers and a box of never ending calorie free hand made chocolates your way,
Your friendly Toothfairy x :console2: :flwrysmile: :SUNsmile:
 
Thank you Toothfairy eating a cadburys creme egg for comfort as we speak. I know it will get better and I feel angry at myself for feeling like this. My daughter is returning to Uni tomorrow so that is not cheering me up. I think as a stay at home mum of six kids it is my nature to be a carer. Yes my husband has helped in his own way it's always been as though he's doing it as a "suppose I will have to do it after working all day cos she hasn't done it" kind of way instead of a helping after a major op kind of way. So I have always felt guilty since I came home from hospital. My best helper is my lovely Karlea who is going back tomorrow. I am truly
down in the dumps today. Thanks for your post. It does help. I will give myself a stern talking to and start the week off fresh tomorrow.
 
I feel your frustration and it is so understandable after the time and work you have put in to recover. Yes, it does seem like others in our lives think it all should be over now and "back to normal" - I am getting that feeling and I am only at 2m. Please get some advice as Toothfairy suggested but also do not discount rest. Sometimes, you just need to rest that darn knees and elevate more than normal to get it past its swelling reactions and progress with exercises slowly and build up slowly to get somewhere-- I keep telling myself that it is the tortoise that wins the race. Take care of yourself.
 
I am sorry it is not going as you had hoped. I think that is true for many of us. When we set out on this journey we just assumed we would have a certain time frame for recovery (definitely not as long as it really takes) and then we would move on. Our knees would be great, range of motion better then before, and no more pain. Huh! While that may be true for many, it is definitely not so for some of us. I sure wish I had read more on the forum after instead of just reading the forum for those getting ready to have it done. I should have done more preparation. That being said I still think that for most people we just don't think we will be the one having complications. For me I should realize that although I am very healthy for some reason I don't fare well after having surgeries. I have had 6 surgeries and with 3 I had complications. One I had an ileus, another I hemorrhaged after I got home, now this. I guess I have a 50/50 chance of having complications lol. Now knowing I will likely go under the knife again with this recovery I am really discouraged as well. But this time my 50/50 chance should be no complications!

I pray that you can either get some advice for PT, OS will come up with some treatment, or the ROM will just come with more time. Hang in there even though family has moved on we here who are stuck like you can sure sympathize. :friends:
 
Thanks 60mom for your kind words. they mean a lot x
 
It may not help to hear this, but I'm 8 months post op and found myself holding onto chairs and probably needed a cane after running, or should I say modified galloping, or galuping since it wasn't terribly even, as I tried to make flight connections after mechanical errors delayed my departure and then tried to swim because that's relaxing for me, but then overdid it trying to do my favorite breaststroke. I felt fine until the next day - then I had to ice and elevate and take it easy. I'm back to my normal for now state, but still longing to get to a real normal gait, stairs, and more activities. I did get to a new record of 116 ROM just after all of that, so maybe some of the added ouch added range, too.

60mom, I'm curious - has anyone said your issues with aggressive scar tissue makes you at risk for aggressive scar tissue again?

Robynhood, I hope you're finding other pick me ups like spring daffodils and the like to bring you cheer.:flwrysmile:
 
Hhilltop, I imagine it does put me at more risk for more adhesions which is a bit of a worry. I do think that normal heel slides cause me more problems for some reason. Whenever I do those I get more swelling. The bike seems to be the best for mobility but now I get too much pain to do it. I think after this surgery I will need to really take it really easy so I don't get anymore scar tissue.
 
Oh robynhood, Pat, so sorry to hear you have been feeling down. It's horrible feeling like that, I know. Sounds to me like you need to go back and request more physio. You need someone advising what you should be doing and how you are doing. If you request physio via your GP, you must be granted this I'm sure.

I know you are sad because Karlea is returning to uni today, but just try and think positively that this is all in her favour and for the good of her future. As for hubby, sounds to me like he should be reminded that you had major surgery just six months ago and there is a 12-18 month recovery time. Failing that, get him to read some threads on here. That's what I did before my op, I got Ray to read things on here to make sure he realised this wasn't going to be a straight forward recovery. I'm sure that helped him to be more patient with me.

Bless you, I do hope you can begin to feel better this week. (((((((BIG HUGS))))))) for you :flwrysmile: and

[Bonesmart.org] Onwards and upwards - my journey continues
and
[Bonesmart.org] Onwards and upwards - my journey continues
 
Hi Pat,
just popping by to say hello and hoping that you are feeling a bit better today. I know it will be difficult with Karlea back to uni.
Those university terms are short so it shouldn't be too long before she is back at home with you.
Sending a hug your way,
Toothfairy x :console2: :bicycle2:
 
Hi Pat - KathyH is so right about that - after I had my honey read here and research this surgery he did a 180 turn around - he's much more sympathetic and aware that this is a journey! I am so sorry your biggest supporter is off to school...I'm hoping your weather is getting good enough for you to maybe go outside and just see a pretty day out there! Being outside changes everything for me. You have been so steadfast about exercising and trying to do everything right - we all are pretty good about it and I think that's why we become discouraged so easily - we feel our efforts should always be rewarded...:headbang: If we wait long enough I am sure they will be! I wish I could come visit with you and baby you a little! Take good care and know we all care about you! xom
 
Hi Pat, how are you doing? I hope those blues are easing for you.
How are those exercises coming along. I haven't done any today yet :yikes:
I usually do my first set before I get up but had to be up early today as the plumber was coming at 08:30am. :groan:
I'm up, showered, dressed, breakfasted but no exercises.
Best get started!
Have a good day,hugs, Toothfairy x :flwrysmile: :friends:
 
Hello Pat, missing you. :sad:
You are very quiet, I hope you are ok and just busy.
I had a trip to the hairdressers yesterday for the first time in 10 weeks so no longer look like Worzel Gummidge.
I was exhausted after though, amazing how easily tired out we all get.
Take care and post when you can/ feel like it.
Hugs coming your way, Toothfairy x :egypdance: :happydance:
 
Hi Pat, I'm so sorry you've hit yet another rough patch!:console2: I hope things get better soon my friend! I hate it when I get that god awful feeling too, and it doesn't help with the recovery! I know you'll miss your daughter! When my daughter moved out of state, with her husband and daughter, I was devastated for many years and I'm still not alright with it and that was in 2000, so I understand that feeling of emptiness!
Try and keep busy and try and see your precious granddaughter as often as possible to put that smile on your face!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom