TKR Onwards and upwards - my journey continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow! that is a great scar! Mine doesn't go straight and has some indenting going on...it's good to compare so you can see how much it really has improved! ox
 
Well I tried kneeling on my knees today. On a soft surface. My bed. And I wont be doing it again any time soon. It just felt totally weird and not at all comfortable. Has anyone else had this experience. Are we suposed to kneel on them? Im not really sure. Be interesting to hear your comments folks.
 
Yes Pat, I have been experimenting on this very same thing since month 5 and I must say it was not pleasant at that time. I have been trying it every month or so since and I can say the feeling does get better as time passes! My knees are still tender to the touch of a harder surface other than my hands messaging them. I do have high hopes for the future though since I am only 9 months out for both of my knees and this is a 1 to 1 1/2 year to full recovery, depending on the person of course! My OS says it is doable so I guess it's a waiting game! Also, I do remember that I have not knelt on my knees in at least ten years or so before my BTKR! So I wish you luck my friend and my advise is, just keep trying now and then!
 
Yes that is a very good point Jacky. I cant remember the last time I auctually knelt down. I used to work in a supermarket when the girls were little on the night shift stacking shelves (Hated it) We had to kneel on a very cold concrete floor for most of the time and thats when I started getting painful knees. We are talking 15 years ago now tho and I started to feel uncomfortable kneeling after this. Dont know if this was the start of arthritis as im not sure what triggers it. It isnt in my family at all. Hope you are well and enjoying some nicer weather. Take care. :friends:
 
Well I tried kneeling on my knees today. On a soft surface. My bed. And I wont be doing it again any time soon. It just felt totally weird and not at all comfortable. Has anyone else had this experience. Are we suposed to kneel on them? Im not really sure. Be interesting to hear your comments folks.

My surgeon said if we do kneel, to make sure the pressure is on the tibia just slightly below the actual kneecap. He said that when we have our kneecaps resurfaced during the replacement, and the 'button' put on, our kneecaps are thinner, and not as strong as before.
 
Pat, your scar looks great. I am having sleeping issues too. Like Kathy, I thought once I went back to work and got in a routine it would work itself out. Some nights I am wide awake at bedtime. Most nights I wake up several times changing positions trying to get comfortable. Some mornings I really wish I could stay in bed! (well most mornings):heehee: I am not a morning person.
 
Hi! I totally agree with Jakie48! Kneeling is so weird - I tried it cuz I read here that someone did it - ugh! I can kneel on my bed and on carpet but I do not like it at all and I have to really be careful how I distribute the weight. I would do bad things for other people if they would give me one 8 hour stretch without waking up! I would do bad things for other people to have 6 hours without waking up! lol I would just do about anything for a long stretch! My best since surgery was one time I got 5 hours! These are my goals!!! :egypdance:
 
Pat,
Still at 21 mos. if I try to kneel it feels really weird, doesn't really hurt but I don't particuarily like how it feels. Si I do everything to avoid doing it. If I have to I try and be sure to put the weight on the tibia and not directly on the knee or kneecap. With us one kneers I think it might be worse because the other knee still feels normal so the two don't match.
 
Pat, your scar is coming along really nicely.

I haven't tried kneeling yet, because the thought of it makes me come over all funny, if you know what I mean :heehee: Some people say they can kneel and others say they can't. Funny how we're all so different. Bones are bones and replacements are replacements, aren't they? So why not all the same? One of those baffling science questions :heehee:

It's a possibility that your kneeling job all those years ago could have triggered your knee problem, I guess.
 
Your scar is looking really good Pat, hope your setback is temporary. I think Kathy's suggestion that it is due to your increased activity sounds like a very smart one.
Have a good day,
Toothfairy x :yes!: :wink:
 
:angel: Been taking it easy tooday. Had a few busy days running around (sort of) doing a lot of shopping, a lot more driving than usual, and usual household chores. Last night my knee was very swollen and achey and I couldnt climb the stairs normally as I have been doing. So today was icing elevating watching some awful daytime tele and starting a new James Patterson. Tonight I feel calm, relaxed and ready for the day ahead tomorrow. I am learning the Bonesmart way at last. Patience is my middle name. Arent I good :angel:
 
You were up late, Pat :heehee: I remember those days before I went back to work. Daytime telly sucks most of the time. It's only once in a blue moon that they put a decent film on. Otherwise it's just all repeats of rubbish and repeats of repeats :whistle:

Patricia Patience actually sounds good :heehee:
 
Hi Patty (Patience), yes you are good kiddo! Starting a good book will keep you still for a while! :)
 
Patty Patience - I love that. Got a very busy weekend. Karleas 21st and Mothers Day on Sunday. Ive been told to sit and relax and Laura is going to do everything. Well we will see. Hoping everybody has a relaxing weekend. I dont think its Mothers Day in USA is it. Anyway have a good one Bone Smarties
[Bonesmart.org] Onwards and upwards - my journey continues
 
robynhood, I love your pray. It makes me smile and know that we are all in this together. Whenever you kneel I was told you needed a pad on it or a pillow. thats what I use is a small pillow. We will all get to recover together. And for those who get there before us will wait and welcome us when we do get there. Have a good weekend and have some fun. Tashia
 
You're right Pat, our Mother's Day is in May! Have a Happy Mother's Day my friend! Now please do me a favor and don't let hubby and your girls know that you are a good girl, because they'll only learn to expect it and we wouldn't want that! :heehee:

Have a great weekend kiddo!
 
Darn, I haven't been getting alerts on your posts either. I thought all my bonesmart friends were moving on and not posting anymore but instead some of my preferences got reset. I'm sorry to hear you are having pain and swelling but at least you have a chance to catch up on important daytime tele. :loll: When they say it takes time they really mean it, don't they?
I really like your new avatar. It reminds me of the Buddhist teacher Thich Nhat Hanh - "Breathing in, I calm body and mind. Breathing out, I smile. Dwelling in the present moment I know this is the only moment." Oh yeah.
 
Well here I am early morning posting again when I should be asleep (I wish) Had such a lovely day today and not one thought about my knee for a change. All six kids and partners and grandkids came to see me and my daughter Karlea ws 21 today as well so we had a bumper family day with lots to celerbrate. Had some beautiful gifts and my daughter Laura did all the shopping and preparing the food so I felt blessed. I am so proud when I see all my kids together so happy, and all getting along so well. It was nice to have taking it easy and just enjoying the day. :flwrysmile: :yahoo: :yay: :SUNsmile: now time for some sleep. (PLEASE)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom