TKR Onwards and upwards - my journey continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well im in a very depressed mood tonight. Before I had the TKR in October almost everyone said "O it will be all over by Christmas and you will be running around". I preferred to think that by my birthday this Saturday I would be noticing a huge difference. It is the 4 month mark and everyone seemed to think that was a bench mark. Well not me. I still cant climb the stairs up or down, my knee is still very swollen. I still take painkillers 3 times a day. I have no idea what my ROM is as i dont see a physio and have no further appointments with my OS. All in all im very disapointed with the TKR. Maybe its worse for because my right knee is also bone on bone so this is making recovery more difficult. I just cant see me being in a position where I will say Im so pleased I had it done. How on earth can I have my right one done if I dont think I did the right thing with my left one. Am I ever going to improve. Well as you can see im right in saying I was in a depressed mood but I just dont feel like Im getting anwhere. Will I ever ???????
 
Oh dear Pat, poor you, sorry to hear you are feeling blue.
Of course you will get where you want to be but in your own unique time.
Couldn't you maybe go back to basics for a few days and rest,ice and elevate to see if you can get the swelling to reduce?
I hope you can get comfortable and enjoy your birthday on Saturday,
Sending sympathy and a healing hug,
Toothfairy x
:console2: :flwrysmile:
 
Pat, I'm so sorry you're feeling down! :console2: However, I have no idea who would tell you that by Christmas you would be running around! You are only coming up on your 4th month and yes at 4 months you do see a difference, but not total recovery for sure! If you are worried about not being able to go up or down the stairs, might I suggest that you call your OS for a follow up, at least you would be able to get some clarification as to what is going on with your ROM. You do need to get some answers and your OS is the only one that can give them to you! You are worth those answers so make an appointment soon my friend, as a birthday present to yourself, because you deserve to be pain-free and you must be your own advocate!
I hope you enjoy your upcoming birthday, do something fun! Get "jiggly with it"! :)
 
Pat, we are only a few days apart in our surgery. I know how you feel! I didn't expect to be back to normal by Christmas, but I did think I would be further along by now. I have noticed in the last few days that I am walking with less of a limp, my knee seems to be getting a bit straighter. My rom is only 105, I am very disapointed in that. I had an MUA in December, but it doesn't seem to have helped much. :cry:
I was supposed to have my last therapy tonight until seeing the os next week, but my therapist got sick and had to go home. We rescheduled for tomorrow, and he will do new measurements then. Today getting up and down going back and forth to the printer at work was a tiny bit easier. I am finding that heat is helping more than ice. I do ice if I am swelling. Shopping is still like it was before the surgery, I just can't do it like I used too! If I am in a store with a basket that does help, but if I go into a department store I can't stay long. I don't go upstairs because we are using it as storage since my son moved out, but I do have a little trouble stepping down from a curb. I still have a few pain pills left, I try to use them only before going to therapy since my os is stingy with them. I have tried the bonesmart cocktail, and it works. I also use Doans backache pills, they work pretty good for me while I am at work. Hang in there, it has to get better! God willing, it can't get any worse!
I was asked today at work if I would be up to attending a conference in another state in April, it's about a 3 hour drive. The sessions will last 6-7 hours for 3 days. I am lucky that I work in home health care and they understand my situation. I am determined to be up to going to the conference!!! I love traveling on the company's dime! I will probably take my cane just in case I need it. I have not used it in weeks, but I am sure there will be more walking than I am used to (which is mainly to the fridge and back).:heehee:
 
Pat, sorry you are feeling down and you don't feel you should be where you want to be. I know right around that point in my recovery I wondered if I would ever get "there". I think that was about the time my therapist suggested the pool to me. That really helped me. I went as often as I could, not just once a week. I only did it for a month, but it was enough for me to get my knee working. We are all different, but maybe go get checked again and see what your doc says.
 
OK my friend Pat - you just go right ahead and feel depressed...but fix yourself a glass of wine, grab an ice bag even if it is cold outside and lay down on the couch or your bed with your toes above your nose...take your pain meds without guilt and read or watch TV or snooze...it's really OK that you aren't all better yet! Hell, I had my doctor telling me I'd be good to go at 3 weeks - that was a joke. 4 months can be a turning point for some, 6 months for others and I've heard 1 year for others...so yours will come but in it's own time. I remember reading here that someone was afraid they had crippled themselves...and I felt the same way. I don't feel that way any more - but this has been the hardest thing I've ever done! And, I've had 10 broken ribs...which really hurt! lol but not as much as this recovery! Some days I really feel pretty good and some days I'm all swollen again and I have to do what I said to you - stop, ice, elevate, rest and rest some more! And I don't have the added complication of another bad knee! I wish I could give you a hug and tell you it will be all better really soon...I can't do either, but I know you will get better in time. And wait as long as you want to for your other TKR...you may need the confidence of knowing for sure you will get better before you can face the next surgery. I'm so sorry it's not easier for you...and I hope it does get easier really soon! Hugs!!!! xoxom:friends: are they hugging? I hope so!
 
Well I was feeling sorry fr myself last night. Woke up feeling a bit better but a lot happier when I saw the posts :thankyou: so much for your encouraging words. I did know when everyone was saying i would be running around at Christmas it was a load of rubbish. Thats other peoples conceptions but I honestly did think by my birthday I would be further along than this, Maybe if it gets no better by next week I will try and get an appointment with my OS as you have suggested to give me some reassurance. But now im going back to basics icing and elevating trying to get this swelling down again. :thankyou: again for your kinds words. They do make a difference.
 
Pat, I remember my consultation with my OS, he told me I would be back to work at seven weeks! I didn't believe him then and four and a half months later I was back at work :heehee:

Four months is still early in recovery and you certainly shouldn't feel bad about taking painkillers during the day. I still take a couple of Tramadol once a day.

The stairs will come in time - they are indeed a confidence thing - more so the going down. You think you need more bend, but actually you don't. Just keep persevering.

Get yourself an appointment with your OS to set your mind at rest. The icing and elevating in the meantime will do no harm. It seems that the swelling takes yonks to go down.

:flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
Getting so fed up seems to have done me some good. Woke up yesterday feeling "OK bit of a blip now lets start again" I have started a diet yesterday because I have put on quite a few pounds since the op which obviously isnt helping my recovery. Did a nice healthy shop so no temptations around. Wrote out another exercise programme which I am going to stick to. ROM exercises and stationery bike. I realised Im not doing my new knee any favours and after all the stress of the lead up to the op and afterwards I have let myself slide, so I am going to pick myself up and just get on with it. I seriously dont know what I would have done without all the support and friendship on this forum. Listening to all my wingeing and moaning must have got tedious at times but you all supported me so THANK YOU. I feel like its a new begining. :dancy: :flwrysmile: :beer: :bicycle1:
 
Good for you, Patty Pat :heehee: Good and positive attitude :thumb: And you most certainly never have been tedious. We are all in the same boat on here and it's good for us to have a little rant now and again, knowing that others 'hear' us and help us out.

Good luck with the new regime of diet and exercise. Me too also, am trying to maintain the weight I have lost - don't want to slip back to being Miss Piggy :heehee:
 
:bicycle1: Hi! I'm so happy you are feeling a bit better and off and running again...I wish I could get past telling myself to eat better (less) because I would love to be thinner...I think I but on a few pounds with the op and now exercising isn't making the scales look any better! lol Maybe I can wake up (next week) with a new attitude about diet! tc and good luck on your bike! ooxm
 
Hi Pat. I'm sorry to hear you had a tough time earlier this week. What's that they say, that happiness is inversely proportional to our expectations? I try to keep my expectations low and then I'm always happy! Not really but it does help. It's hard when you're in pain and it just goes on and on. I'm not going to repeat the advice that others gave you but I agree with it all. Sometimes I think that we women are too busy, running around too much and too soon, and taking better care of other people than we do ourselves. If that applies to you, just cut that out! I am a master at taking it easy, so take it from and expert, if your knee is swollen, get it up, rest, ice, etc. I was told this was a one year recovery so I guess that doesn't mean four months. Also, be happy with the small things. It sound like you've gotten yourself out of the slump. We all have down days. Last week I had about five days like that, I could see no purpose in life and it seemed like I was going to die without my life meaning anything--pretty bad, huh? I called it the "existential abyss". Luckily that ended and I'm not thinking about meaning and purpose, an unrewarding pastime if ever there was one! So just hang in there, it will get better and HAPPY BIRTHDAY GIRLFRIEND! :spin:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Onwards and upwards - my journey continues
Randi for the birthday wishes and the lovely post. So sorry you wernt feeling you best last week. As you say I think it affects us all at some point and its nice to come here isnt it and just have a rant without feeling guilty bcause you know everyone understands what uou are going thru. Glad you are feeling better. Im looking forward to a lovely birthday weekend with the family. Hope the blessed knee behaves.
 
Pat, I am so sorry you have been feeling down. The blues just strike any old which way sometimes. But it sounds like you have a plan and are pushing forward with it. I am so glad you are having this birthday weekend to look forward to. A big HAPPY BIRTHDAY! And a big hug! :kittykiss: :cheers:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Onwards and upwards - my journey continues
Lisa thank you for your birthday wishes. Im looking forward to a good weekend
 
Pat, love your new avatar! Cats rule (and dogs drool!). I could not resist. Seriously, I hope your birthday celebration helps your mood lift. This is a long road, and it is made up of mostly baby steps. :kittykiss:
 
Hi Pat, I am pleased that you are feeling a bit better about things. What a star. :yes!:
Have a wonderful birthday and enjoy being spoiled by the family. :martini:
Toothfairy,
X
:yahoo: :flwrysmile:
 
Hi pat, happy birthday! Sorry to hear youve been feeling down but it looks like you've perked up a bit now with some positive thinking and kind words from your BoneSmarties friends.

Have a great weekend :cheers: :flwrysmile:
 
Happy Birthday Pat!, it can only get better, hang in there. Measure how far You have comè since the op not how far you've still to go
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom