TKR Onwards and upwards - my journey continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes funny how tkr do not like cold yet mine always feels warm wife often puts hand on knee see if its still warm ,we think it is the metal bending but its still healing they say .Yes laptop handy wife kicks me out if i am laid awake at night and having 2 spare beds get laptop and make a choice ,but did not sleep before tkr so cant blame that.We have a lot of snow no movement outside house hill is blocked glad i do not have to work anymore .
 
Yes! I miss you! Great news about your friend, I think. Cancer is a terrible disease. It's all good with me and next week Lindsay is going to have a TKR. We figure that this will carry us for the duration. So it will be back to orthopedic high drama. Glad I'm doing well. I hope I don't have PTSD in the hospital.
 
Heres wishing Lindsay Good Luck for her op. Now its your turn to look after her. Im sure I would get PTSD if I went anywhere near an operating theatre just now. Im still at the stage where Im wondering if I did the right thing having it done. Glad you are progressing well. Keep us updated on Lindsays progress.
 
Pat, I know what you mean about PTSD if you got close to an operating theatre! I know my other knee is not so great but the thought of more surgery just makes me want to run for the hills! It sounds like the news with your friend is somewhat good. It is true how depleting all of the treatments are, you need stamina just to get through them. Hope you warm up soon!
 
Just dropping by to say hi... :flwrysmile: I am so glad that I had the surgery... I am finding while the new knee is feeling so strong and stable but it does get tired when I am standing for a long time. On the other hand, my bad knee is very unstable and I notice haw bad it is all the time. It gripes at me when I do stairs or stand for a while. I try to remember to lead with my new knee because the other dies not cut it. The barometer effect has been going on for so long this just a minor adjustment. I am glad I do not live where they have real winter.... I hear Manitoba and Ontario are getting -20 and -23..... Brrrrr!!!!
How are things going with the kid and gkids? (and that beautiful greatniece) Well, I hope. I bet shopping etc is getting easier and you are getting out and about more. I find all exercising is dependant on how much I do each day. It is all exercise.
Take care my friend we will talk soon.:SUNsmile:
 
Joy and Randi we are in the same boat, a new knee and an old one that's causing a problem. I can hardly wait to have the old knee fixed...then I can have matching hairy patches! But it is kind of scary thinking about going through the whole thing again. I was more ready for it while I was still off work.
That is so sad about your friend Pat. To have the tumors in the other organs is so scary. It doesn't sound very good. A coworker of mine just told me on Friday that she has ovarian cancer. She is only early 40s. I hope that she is the exception to the usual progression and hope they can remove it all and destroy any stray cells with chemo. It just breaks your heart. And yes it makes me feel guilty in a way for complaining about my pain. At least mine/ours can be fixed!
 
Actually, I am lucky. I only had one bad knee from an old skiing injury. I probably won't ever have to get the other one done- yay! Marianne, I think the prognosis for ovarian cancer is better than it used to be. I know several people that have managed to survive it.
 
Lovely to hear from you all ladies. I think generally we all know we will probably need the op for the other knee but dont look forward to it. This op has taken so much out of me its not real. I genuinely didnt know it would take so long to recover. That and the terrible physio we are offered here has added to slow recovery. I am doing my best with exercise but it seems I have one good day follwed by two bad days at the moment. My grandkids keep me going. Always cheer me up. Watching afternoon tele is getting a bit boring. My favourite Real Housewives of...... Orange County, New York, and my current favourite Beverly Hills keep me going. We still have snow but not as bad. My friend just waiting for dates for chemo. She has to have a different kind this time as her kidneys were not coping very well with the last type. She will defnitley lose her hair this time. Shes a very strong person, lives by herself and just tends to cope with whatever comes. Bet she thinks Im a right old moaner with this knee. Keep Warm Ladies. And keep Healing x
 
Yes, physio in the UK isn't very good on the NHS. Not sure it's better even with private health care. Daytime telly definitely gets boring after a while - same old same old.

I'm sure your friend doesn't think you're a moaner, Pat. We all have our problems, just that some are worse than ours.

Everything looks so pretty in white, but enough is enough now. Just don't want it to turn to ice - scary when walking and driving :yikes:
 
Hi i had mine tkr done at private hospital and physio lasted 20 mins on 2 visits shared with other tkr patiant,they then transfered me back to nhs physio a lot better and i said when i had had enough and would carry on on my own at home.I only had done private because surgeons private patiant took my nhs place they will only do operation in private that should be easy they do not have any emergency facilities or doctors on at night,but same surgeon does nhs and private.
 
Hi Pat, I just caught up on your thread. I'm sorry to hear that your friend had to endure yet another scare, however I am very happy that the brain scan turned up clear of cancer. Now she can focus on her chemo and healing for the other areas. It is so heartbreaking to see a friend or loved one going through such serious medical issues. I so wish her the best and a speedy recovery!
How is your daughter doing, is she over her cold?
I hope your bad knee days start to lessen, and your good knee days start to increase!:console2:
We have the bitter cold here in the northeast as well, wind chill of below zero, and guys are outside building houses for new owners. I have no idea how they can stand it!
Stay warm and safe my BoneSmartie friend!
 
I caught a news cast last night and they were saying that heathrow has been canceling flights because the weather has been so bad. I bet you are getting sick of the cold and snow. We usually just deal with endless days of rain and freezing rain, along with fog. It can be very depressing!:boohoo: We have just finished a lovely 5 days of cold and sunny, with fog in the lower areas and on the water. :SUNsmile: Now it is changing so the rain is starting again.
Daytime TV does get old fast..... I am finding that as I have been taking over my old chores, it is taking up my time and is giving me a good workout as well. I stopped going to physio at christmas because my numbers were great :yes!: and I was not feeling challenged. Besides being off work, I can't afford the gas! As the weather gets better I will be working outside and that will become a workout in itself.:dancy: It took years to get into poor condition it will take a while to back to normal.... that is why I am eager to get my other knee done and get this all behind me and move on.
I am hoping things go well for your friend. My mothers friend wore a turban when she lost her hair and it looked very stylish... Maybe that would help your friend as an alternative to wigs. Cancer touches everybody.... I hope they find a cure for all types soon. One that doesn't do so much damage to the rest of a persons body. I am sure she doesn't mind your 'whining' as it probably takes her mind off her problems and your great sense of humor helps too. :heehee:
 
Hi Richard, I also had my op in a private hospital which was very nice as in I had a private room with bathroom abd the OS and staff were first class. I would defnitley go back there again if I need the other knee doing. My OS takes so many NHS paitents a year and he has said to go direct to him if and when it needs doing. I was a little surprised at the lack of physio to be honest. My physio didnt show me any exercised. Just looked at my knee, o yes progressing well. See you in two weeks. I auctually saw the gym on the last visit and went on the recumbant bike for two minutes and that was it. Luckily I have this forum to find out what I should be doing and getting lots of physio advice. I am progressing but slowly. Maybe with a little bit more physio I could have healed quicker. Who knows.
 
Hang in there Pat. Remember your plan for the New Year...exercise! It's hard in the winter, isn't it? I think there must be some happy medium between no physio and extreme PT? I have a borrowed stationary bike and I try to ride it every day, very boring. For the first several minutes I want to quit. Then it becomes easier. Also, my muscles had become weak before the surgery so exercising is really hard! Lindsay is still sleeping. she's very relaxed about the whole thing. I'm going to wake her up now.
 
You know Pat, some of us heal slower than others. I know its hard, but try not to compare yourself to others. Your recovery is going the way its supposed to. The knee is in charge not us. And this recovery is so long, it really gets to you after awhile. I am 4.5 mos out and still have stiffness, and a little pain. My knee does NOT like the cold, and protests loudly. I thought that would be gone after the surgery, but nope still here. I do not have the bend or straightening I would like, but notice that slowly but surely it is improving. I am trying to walk more. I am finding surprisingly, that heat feels good on my knee. I feel like I can stretch it out more and it feels more relaxed. Pt seemed to just aggravate other areas of my body.

I will tell you this surgery really kicked my butt. I have had lots of other surgeries, and thought this would be more of the same. But here nearly 5 months out, I am finding it quite challenging still. But the thought of further surgery makes me feel like I have PTSD. Tomorrow I have an appt with my therapist. I can't wait, as I have not seen her since before my tkr. I have so much to discuss with her. Big hugs!
 
Hi Richard, I also had my op in a private hospital which was very nice as in I had a private room with bathroom abd the OS and staff were first class. I would defnitley go back there again if I need the other knee doing. My OS takes so many NHS paitents a year and he has said to go direct to him if and when it needs doing. I was a little surprised at the lack of physio to be honest. My physio didnt show me any exercised. Just looked at my knee, o yes progressing well. See you in two weeks. I auctually saw the gym on the last visit and went on the recumbant bike for two minutes and that was it. Luckily I have this forum to find out what I should be doing and getting lots of physio advice. I am progressing but slowly. Maybe with a little bit more physio I could have healed quicker. Who knows.
You did well seeing a gym all he had us do was sit ups and walk with stick,then took us on steps to see if we could walk up and down.At nhs physio she massaged my knee and sitting up from chair and both places gave me instruction sheet of exercises to do,but getting there other knee can wait,my local doctor still does not agree with having my knee done luckily have not been to see him about knee yet went to see him about something else and he mentioned again do not see me about your knee that is a bad operation.When i had infection on knee luckily he was on holiday and got antibiotic from other doctor.
 
Nanners; Hope you have a good appt with your therapist. It is a hard journey this and like Randi says I think its worse in the cold weather. Keep on healing well. Take care. x
 
Well ladies to give you an update your favourite Downton Abbey won best drama in the National Television Awards tonight which I guess is like your Emmys. I love that programme so much. Got very excited when I got the box set for Christmas.:)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Onwards and upwards - my journey continues
an absolutely fantastic production. Love them or hate them, you just can't get enough of them, and can't wait for the next episode---then wish is wasn't over. Ah, you Brits always do such a great job with these things--
 
Well its been a long time since I looked in. I hate not having my laptop. It is STILL under repair and Im flippin sure my TKR will be fully recovered and I will be jogging and rockclimbing before I get it back. Very frustrating without it. My knee isnt toooooo bad. Exercising on the bike and still doing ROM exercises but with not going to physio and having it measured hard to say if its im proving or not. Hope everybody is healing, exercising and getting jiggy with it. I miss my times on here but will make up for it when (if) my laptop is repaired. My birthday this month. 16th. Maybe I will go out dancing cos last year I could hardly walk and was in extreme pain all the time and I supose I should remember times like that when I get fed up with recovery. Well bye for now and hope all my bonesmart friends are well happy and healing x x:flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom