TKR Onwards and upwards - my journey continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to hear from you again, Pat. It is frustrating not being able to log on to anything. How much time we spend on the internet, what would we do without it now :whistle: Hope you manage to log on again before your birthday.
 
Nice to see you again Pat! You sound like you're doing well! I say you should get "jiggy with it" and go dancing, it sounds like fun!:egypdance:

How is your friend doing?
 
Hi Jackie and Kathy, Nice to hear from you both. My friend started her chemo again last Thursday. Shes ok at the moment. But this chemo is different to any shes had before and they have told her this time she will defnitley lose her hair. Sad to see her like this but at least the MRI scan was clear on her brain. No indication why she had the mini stroke before christmas. Im just keeping everything crossed for her this time. She really cant take much more of this. :cry:
 
Hey there Robyn; One thing they gave me in the hospital to help with sleep was a big dose of Benedryl..which will also help with itchiness as your leg deflates. Try adding that to the mix and see if you feel a difference. Also as mentioned Arnica is terrific..Homeopathic pellets 30-C. Any health food store or good drugstore will have it. It was part of what I was told to take for surgery 1o years ago and really helps with the swelling and bruising. The gel helps too, though not as much in my own case.
In the meantime, take every chance you get for naps or whatever..sometimes night is the worst time to get any sleep after this surgery.
 
Pat, it is really hard for a woman to loose her hair, lets just say our hair defines us, that's why hairdressers have such a lucrative business in this world! I lost my hair through a thyroid malfunction and alopecia areota (sp?) and I had to get a wig, because it made me feel better! My hair grow back when the thyroid corrected itself with the proper medication and I got steroid shots with a great dermatologist for the alopecia, but it took a total of a couple of years! I guess what I'm saying is, your friend is going to really need a lot of support when her hair starts to fall out, we love our hair, because that alone is going to bring her down as much as the cancer itself! You can't say you understand, if you've never lost your hair, but you can say, those of us that never lost our hair can't possibly know what it feels like, but we are here to support you and love no matter what! This is hard, it is sensitive and it is painful to watch a loved one go through such a challenge, but your support is necessary! You're a very good friend that stayed by her side for so many years, so I know this is also very painful for you as well!

Stay well and try and stay positive! :console2: (((((HUGS)))))
 
Hang in there Pat. I have a couple girlfriends in the same spot..I'm at that age, things are starting to happen to people.

I think the hair thing is also awful because often when person has Cancer, it doesn't show..until chemo and the radical change of hair loss. Then there is a sudden and very stark reminder that this person is really dealing with life and death.

Maybe you can gimp along with your friend to a good wig place. Very often they have good rates for cancer patients and it can be a real lift to feel normal. I know that Yale New Haven hospital has a program for women cancer patients that just deals with helping women regain their sense of femininity and beauty while undergoing treatment. My mom took advantage of that during her cancer treatment, and it helps the person reclaim the "normal" parts of life and to keep moving forward a bit. Hell, I have my own hair but I love me some wigs..I have three.

Also maybe you can help your friend connect with a support forum like this one. Again places like Yale or Sloan Kettering have links to some groups that she can participate in so she won't feel so alone.
 
:flwrysmile: Thank you both for your kind words. I am waiting to hear from Anne when she wants me to go and see her because some days shes too tired for company. We have been through so much together, school, boyfriends, marriage, kids, divorce, good times and bad and I am so worried about her this time. I think it will affect her a lot Jacky losing her hair. As you said its so important to us females. Hopefully I will see her next week. Unfortunately she has no internet at home because I am sure she would feel better with the support of a forum like this one. All I can do is be there for her and to be honest when I do visit we normally end up giggling like the schoolgirls we once were. Thanks again for your support x:flwrysmile:
 
Pat, I wish you well, because I know it won't be easy to see you friend in such distress, but if you can make each other laugh in hard times, well that is the best in friendships! :thumb:
God bless you my friend! :friends:
 
Hi Pat. This sounds so hard but I know your friendship can be a comfort. Just knowing that there are people out there that care. You can even tell her that your Bonesmart friends are very concerned and are praying for her. Medical treatment is tough as we well know. I will be holding out for a good outcome for her. I've missed you!
 
O Thank you Randi for saying that. Its so nice to be missed. Having been on the forum daily since my op I do miss it. Saturday is the deadline for my laptop to be fixed or replaced so hopefully from next week I will be back on again regulary. Hope Lindsey is doing well but she seems to be from what ive read. I have told Anne my bonesmartie friends are wishing her well and from not knowing what I was talking about at first she was happy when I explained. Take care and speak soon.
 
Glad you will be back with us soon.... I have missed you too. It is funny how we can make such a personal connection over huge distances..... 150 years ago it could take many months for a letter to get through. I sometimes wonder what my granny would have thought.... :umm:she was born in 1886 and died in 1974. She was really horse and buggy to man on the moon. Now I can talk real time to anywhere on the planet and to space! Wow! :shocked: I think it is amazing!!! and we all take it sooo for granted.
 
I can't believe how i keep missing threads! Sorry I haven't been on in a while. Remind your friend that hair will grow back and there are a lot of wigs out there so this is the time for her to try new hairstyles for when it does grow back. We are all pulling for her!
 
whoopee i got my laptop back today, wasnt very pleased to hear them say " O weve had it here since last Sunday. Did no one phone you ? Ermmm no they didnt. Anyway its nice to be back.
[Bonesmart.org] Onwards and upwards - my journey continues
This is a picture of a snowdog my son made for his son Ethan. Woof is his favourite cuddly toy and this is just like him. Ethan nearly passed ot with joy when he saw it. Hope you like it and it cheers everyone up whos enduring bad weather at the moment.
 
I love Woof! Quite the skill must be required. As to the laptop, did you give 'em heck? Did you let them know you suffered? Ahem! :doh:
 
Well I think the look I gave him was enough Randy. Sometimes a look says a thousand words. :gaah:
 
Well its a very very cold Monday morning here in the UK but watched TV coverage of the snow storms in the US. Hope all my bonesmart friends in the states are all well and not being effected with no power and not being able to get out so much. We are thinking of you all.:)
 
Pat, sorry to hear about your friend, Anne. One of my SILs had chemo at the end of last year and lost all her lovely thick hair. She bought the most beautiful blonde wig (must have cost the earth). She had so many compliments about her 'hair' when she was out - women asking what colour it was and where she got it cut. She was open about it and said it was a wig. Now her hair is growing back and so she is not wearing the wig any more. The chemo took a lot out of her, but her latest diagnosis was excellent, I am so happy to say. She is now back at work running her two nurseries, after not being allowed to work for six months. It puts everything into perspective, doesn't it?

Good that you have your laptop back and back in the land of the internet :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks Kathy. This is the third time my friend has had chemo but the first time she will lose her hair. Dont know how much more she can take bless her. so pleased it worked out for your SIL. Does your heart good to her about good things from cancer treatment.
 
Pat, I love Woof! How creative of your son to do that for his son, sweet! I'm glad to see you back on board with your laptop!

Your friend Anne sounds like a strong lady, and I know she'll fight through this with all her might! I will keep her in my prayers, and you too my friend!

We got slammed with that beauty of a snow storm in Connecticut, in our town got 35.9 feet of snow, the worse since 1978! It will be several days for complete clean up! We were lucky not to have lost power, because the southeastern part of the state got the most power outage, and that's where we live!

Stay well and please keep us posted!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom