TKR Onwards and upwards - my journey continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a wonderful Christmas, it can't be beat when there are little ones around! So cute!
 
Hi Patricia - was thinking about you being on your own now without PT - me too even tho I'm in US, I don't have insurance so I've been on my own a lot with this. I am finding it SO hard to do my exercises! I don't mind riding the bikes and I have enough ROM to do them easily enough - but I seem to be avoiding the stretching and other exercises given to me in the beginning. It's something I'm going to have to work on after the first of the year. I know the pain I'm having now is different - but gosh, my knee seems to demand an awful lot of attention! I just want to stop swelling, getting stiff, and not sleeping! arggghhhh Sorry to whine on your thread! Maybe I should wine! lol I hope you're doing well and are enjoying holidays ox
 
Hi Patricia - was thinking about you being on your own now without PT - me too even tho I'm in US, I don't have insurance so I've been on my own a lot with this. I am finding it SO hard to do my exercises! I don't mind riding the bikes and I have enough ROM to do them easily enough - but I seem to be avoiding the stretching and other exercises given to me in the beginning. It's something I'm going to have to work on after the first of the year. I know the pain I'm having now is different - but gosh, my knee seems to demand an awful lot of attention! I just want to stop swelling, getting stiff, and not sleeping! arggghhhh Sorry to whine on your thread! Maybe I should wine! lol I hope you're doing well and are enjoying holidays ox


Is there a gym near by? I went a to public gym (no fee at all) and did the bike riding and the stretching with exer-bands there.

One thing that might help you is that you "make an appointment" to do certain things. Give yourself a half-hour to an hour and do the stretching and the exercises. D not answer the phone, etc---devote your attention to what needs to be done. I actually would turn off the phone and my cell phone, watch TVLand, and do my PT---I would do them two to three times a day---when my wife came home from work, she would answer the phone and simply take a message.

To this day, TVLand is sort of like "comfort food" on TV for me---I was watching Bonanza and Gunsmoke today during the snow storm---and it reminded me of the special times that I did my PT at home---I actually did them during one of the shows, so I knew that I could get things done!
 
Micha, I know exactly what you mean. Its very hard to get into a routine at the moment. Hopefully from January 1st Im going to sort it out. the not-sleeping is really getting to me now. I tried herbal tablets but they didnt help either. Im falling asleep on the chair downstairs get upstairs try and get comfortable and it starts again. I sleep for an hour wake up fpr three etc etc. In the New Year we shold keep in touch on here and try to encourage each other, im not working so theres nothing stopping me to sort it out and get into a routine so I can sort this knee out. I can feel myselg limping without the cane and I hate it. Hope youre enjoying the holidays. Take Care micha;
 
Hi Patricia! Thanks for reply - it's good to know someone in the same place right now although I think you suffer more from the lack of sleep than I - I wake up 3-4 times a night but with ice strapped onto my knee I get back to sleep ok.

Tim - I do have access to a gym at my home and one about a 5 minute drive from home - I have no excuses! I think maybe I will try to have an "excercise buddy" here so we can encourage each other. Maybe after the first Patricia and I could try a schedule and check in with each other so at least I have someone to answer to!

Every day I keep hoping this is going ok and that these feelings in my knee will go away. It's not horrible pain...but it is pain and stiffness. I still walk, can manage stairs, and get a lot done, but really I'm so sad dealing with this still hurting. Maybe this is just a hard time right now with the holidays.

Patricia - I will check in with you after the 1st and see if we can help each other! HNY! ox Thanks Tim - I'm going to try!
 
Micha I have been lax on my exercises too. But I do try to do as much walking as I can. When we go out I now refuse the motorized chairs and just walk. My bend and straightening still need some help. So I might need to get in your new years exercise plan! Hugs!
 
I sure could use an exerbuddy too! The day slips by and I "forget" to do any exercises besides walking. Still can't get a full revolution on the bike either. I am walking more. I try to wear the pedometer to keep track so I can't fool myself into thinking I am doing more than I really am. I would love to use the forum to be more accountable and to get suggestions for things to do in the pool. I am going to reactivate my gym membership in the next few days so I can get in the water.
 
I will be here and waiting for you micha; and anybody else who wants to join us to encourage each other to excercise and "GET JIGGY WITH IT" for the new year which generally means getting more bend and straightening. Yesssss:dancy:
 
Yes! I definitely need to make myself just get up and start moving. My knee will bend to about 60 degrees and thats it. Definitely not gonna give up.
 
Patricia, I just finally got caught up on your thread. You had mentioned your BP on Brownie51 (Marianne) thread and wanted to say that my BP has been out of whack for quite a while, but right after my BTKR I lost some weight and it got really low, but now that I'm feeling better it's climbing again! What a pain!
Anyway, Debbie_joints started a thread in the social room about weight and exercise, which I have plenty of weight and little motivation for exercise, since for many years, like most of us, had too much pain for doing any exercise. So finally last week I decided to give my bike a try again and I set up my Wii Fit on my TV again, and I also bought a walking DVD with Leslie Sansone, which came recommended by Debbie in the social room. Hopefully I will keep up with it and I thought I'd mention it to you and the ladies above in case you want to join in and we can all keep each other motivated!:friends:
Once I started it was slow going, but so what, where am I going I just wanted to start feeling good again, even though I'm not really fond of sweating, but I guess it comes with the whole package! I am really hoping that it helps bring the BP down too! Hope to see you all there!
Stay well my BoneSmartie friend!:friends:
 
I will look for the thread with debbie_joints and see if we can all try that - I'll post back here after the first of the year!
 
So thats in the social room and not the recovery threads is that right Jacky. I am really up for it. I need to lose oe weight before my next TKR because I know it would help recovery and also my BP. See you all there. Thanks for mentioning it Jacky.
 
Getting so fed up of the not sleeping. I havent slept thru the night since a month before the op so we are talking about 16 weeks now. I tried the herbal tablets but they are not working either. I dont want to ask my GP for any sleeping tablets because Im still taking painkillers at night. Im 12 weeks tomorrow so surely I should start feeling more comfortable and sleeping soon. We had good news yesterday. An addition to our family. My neice had a little girl yesterday her first and shes called her EMILY SOPHIA so thats a lovely end to our year.:martini:
 
Congratulations on the new family addition Patricia!

I hope you get a good nights sleep soon! Maybe one of these will help :martini:!
 
Good morning Patricia! I have tried sleeping pills with a pain pill and I still wake all night long - I feel so lucky if I get 3 hours! Last night was up every hour on the hour...sort of feels like salt in the wound :hairpulling: Then I made the mistake of getting on the scales this morning - everyone here seems to lose weight - I have managed to put on 5 pounds in the 3 months....so will have to really start paying attention and working with you on the exercising after the 1st!

Your new picture is so pretty - is that your niece? I love the name - Emily Sophia - how pretty! Well, HNY and off I go driving to California now - :egypdance:
 
Thank you Micha and Jacky for your congrats. The new avatar is of me and my daughter Karlea. I just like the photo. I think we tend to put on more weight because we are sitting around so much. Once we are moving around again and running up those stairs the weight will fall off again. Sleeping is the biggest problem ever isnt it. Especially when I feel so tired when I go to bed but the sleep just dosent come. Hopefully soon. I would love one of those nightcaps Jacky but with my painkillers they just dont mix.
 
I don't have as much issue with the sleeping as you ladies, I usually only wake in the night to potty. However, have any of you tried that new ZzzQuill from the makers of NyQuill? They say its not habit forming and all it is for is to help you sleep. Also, my mom will take a Tylenol PM when she has trouble and that works for her. But I do understand the annoyance of waking because my bladder does it to me. I hope it gets better for you soon! Hugs!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom