TKR One Year Update: problems cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day Seven.

I told my husband between tears that I'm looking forward to walking with the DoodleButt on Bodega Bay...


Your mentioning Bodega really caught my attention. It was my inability to take my young grand daughters (8 and 10) onto a beach at Bodega that made up my mind to have knee surgery. I tried and tried to figure a way of getting down that slight slope onto the beach. I couldn't and I just wanted to cry. My poor grand daughters were disappointed but so kind to me. I had finally decided that I couldn't take having my life continue to shrink by not even being able to engage in simple pleasures. My surgery is scheduled for Sept. 12th. I have been following your story LoveGiants, and you are really inspiring me. You other writers are just the best angels on earth in giving your support and encouragement to others.
 
Hello everyone!

It's been a few days that I've been on here and yesterday was SIX WEEKS!

My daughter, her boyfriend and his sister got caught behind an accident and were delayed 4.5 hours on the Grapevine and got here at 3am Sunday morning. We had a great visit and another of her friends and my parents all came over Sunday afternoon. I didn't do a lot, but couldn't elevate at all (still iced). The kids left Monday morning, a short but sweet visit!

I was absolutely *exhausted* Monday through Tuesday and was worthless! Despite the exhaustion, I had a hard time sleeping Monday night. ugh. I felt like a zombie–the walking dead! Thankfully, I woke up feeling much better this morning.

My doctor gave me the clearance to drive and I finally gave it a go this morning!!! :driver:

I was either brave or stupid and drove to Costco for a couple things. I first drove around my neighborhood and my knee felt good and strong while driving, so I went for it. Happy to report that my knee felt good and strong throughout my little adventure! I felt confident while driving, but of course, when driving a Miata, you drive quite defensively anyways.

[Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling
 
While you were busy with guests and family the BoneSmart site was down! So happy you had a good visit. How did your knee do without elevating? Mine hated!
 
I'm so glad you had a great visit, enjoy your freedom!!!
 
@KarriB. Thank goodness the site was just down! I thought I had done something wrong and had deleted myself or been banished! [emoji54]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
@LoveGiants So glad you had a sweet, although short, visit with your daughter!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
There is a BoneSmart Facebook page. When I couldn't get on the forum I checked on the FB page. Jamie had posted that the site was down with problems.
 
I was wondering about the site when I came back because all the latest dates were Sunday. I'm glad everything is back in order.

@KarriB - my knee was OK with my sitting in the chair on putting my leg on the ottoman. It prefers to be elevated, but I have found that I can't deal with being on my back all the time, so I do enjoy sitting in the chair and ottoman. I still ice it, tho.


So, what is up with not being able to sleep? UGH! Annoying! I'm finding that some nights I just can't relax and sleep. I toss and turn and can't get comfortable and dial down. I've never been a great sleeper, but this is different, just antsy. Maybe from not getting enough exercise/activity during the day?
 
So, what is up with not being able to sleep? UGH! Annoying! I'm finding that some nights I just can't relax and sleep. I toss and turn and can't get comfortable and dial down. I've never been a great sleeper, but this is different, just antsy. Maybe from not getting enough exercise/activity during the day?
It might help if you re-read this article, which was given to you in the reading list soon after your operation:
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
I think almost everyone has sleep problems. They seem to be part of the whole recovery parcel. It isn't because you aren't doing enough, or because you have a nap during the day.
Until you get back into a regular sleep pattern, take naps where, when, and however you can. These naps all add up to your sleep requirement.

If insomnia is really getting you down, you can try asking your regular doctor for a short course of mild sleeping medication.
 
There were times I just propped my leg on the ottoman too. I think it helped with extension. Sleep was rough for me until I went back to work. It really took 12 weeks before I could sleep all night long, but one Tylenol pm helped me get some sleep and back into the rhythm of sleep. I thought it was due to napping or being inactive as Celle said, but there was nothing I could do about that. I did let myself nap in my chair and ended up watching a lot of Law and Order in the middle of the night. I wish I knew about adult coloring books then, I totally would've been coloring during my recovery.
 
Thanks @Celle and @KarriB. I did read that and thanks for the reminder. I do take a Tylenol PM (a version without the Tylenol since I'm taking just under 4g/day now in the extended release 650mg x2) at night and would be hopeless without that. I'm probably despairing about the Giants stinking post-ASG. ugh. Good idea to bust out the coloring books. I have some from my last surgery.


Speaking of work, I'm seriously thinking about going back to work part time *from home* on September 12—two months after surgery. I can do 99% of my job while being on my bum on the couch/chair. That would do a couple things: give me something to do during the day and more importantly, save some leave time since my vacation and sick leave are from the same "pot." I have a note from my doctor releasing me to work from home. I'll do that for at least three weeks and then go back part time in the office before going full time. I'm very fortunate to have an understanding manager.
 
@LoveGiants I, too, am thinking about going back to work, probably 3-4 days a week beginning Oct.1st. I substitute teach so if I do high-school or middle-school, I will be able to sit at the desk and elevate. Probably bring my Cryocuff and my 4-wheel walker, too, so I can ice my knees and hopefully not get run down in the hallways! Won't even attempt elementary school this semester!!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
I went to the pool today! Wooohoooooooo! I walked in the water for 20 minutes, and while it felt great at the time, I can feel it now—it's more stiff but doesn't hurt. I'll take that. Icing!

@34120 - I'm a UI/UX designer, so I'm on my bum most of the time. I am fortunate I can work from home. Teaching is a whole other story! Good idea to bring a walker to at least give you some support and help clear a path in the swarm :snork:.
 
The water sounds great. I've been water walking all summer to get ready. The pool closes after Labor Day,miso can't use it for recovery after the operation, but I'm already planning a couple weeks on the mainland in a cheap hotel in Nov and again in Dec to use a pool for therapy. Glad it felt good to you.
 
Getting in the pool is great. I am lucky enough to have one and Phoenix has an extended season. My husband put in a railing this summer so I could use it Getting up and down the stairs was brutal for me without one. It is wonderful to walk around without aids:)
 
So glad to hear this doctor's report! Have some nice swims! I'd love to go swimming but am not ready to rejoin the gym yet. All I can really use right now is the pool, but will eventually rejoin. My OS would like me to hit the pool so I plan to do so in the not too distant future and see how it goes. Six weeks is a normal time to be allowed to drive again, in my experience, as long as the pain meds are not on board. Your extension and flex have mine beat-I'm happy you're doing so well. I agree-put on some pants and ignore that sucker! :rotfl: I'm still driving two-footed-I just can't comfortably brake with my right foot. I know it's a no-no, but it is what it is. Isn't it nice to be independent again?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
About work:
Granted I work from home anyway and it is for our own, very small company, I did start doing the office paperwork again from about 6 weeks after my last TKR. As long as I restricted myself to a couple of hours in the morning, then had a rest and perhaps did another hour in the afternoon, I managed OK. Initially, I found that my brain was still a bit slow. I did much of my computer work sitting in bed, with my legs slightly elevated. Sitting at a desk was not as comfortable.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom