TKR One Year Update: problems cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all. It was a big accomplishment, knee-wise, to be able to do the transactions.

Another knee first today, I took Dakota to the dog park! I took my cane and stayed on a bench away from dogs, but the doodle needed to run.
[Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling

@KarriB - I used to absolutely dread going onto a car lot, but I've become much better at it. I negotiated a great deal on the car and trade-in, so am pretty happy.

@newlybionic - We put the top and doors on the Wrangler for winter and it does great in the snow. I can't wait to go snow shoeing! Our dog LOVES the snow. I'm so happy to have my knee done in the summer.
 
EXCELLENT!!

Oh and I LOVE LOVE LOVE your doggie!

Sounds like you are doing really well, so happy for you
 
My first husband was a car salesman and he taught me how to buy a new car. That has been very beneficial in fighting this dealers.




1
 
Thanks!

@dianehelen - She's the most loving and expressive dog I've ever seen and is totally a daddy's girl.

@sistersinhim - The internet is a beautiful thing when shopping for a car. I had a price on the Miata before we went in and a range for the trade-in, so all the negotiations were done ahead of time. I'm so thankful it worked out.

As for the knee...energy drain is still so real! The dog park and giving her a bath (also a first), washing towels (haven't even folded them yet), and then making some calls wore me OUT! I passed out on the sofa. Boom.
 
Hello!

I can't believe it's been 11 weeks! wow.

I haven't been on much because I've been busy and stressed with some business/car stuff and just didn't think I was good company.


Knee update for 11 weeks:
- I'm working from home as of September 12, which is nice. I still get tired and worn out pretty easily. I'm going back to the office on October 10. I'm fortunate that I'm in between projects so am able to work on things that aren't high-profile/stressful.

- My knee looks good. The scar is fading but still visible. The swelling is pretty much gone.

- I can bend it past 90°, but it's still stiff at times and doesn't move freely. I still feel tightness at the top of my knee. I'm working on stretching it.

- I'm able to do more walking, errands, and chores. I'm cooking (much rejoicing from my hubby), but thankfully my hubby is doing the dishes.

- I'm not using my cane as much—primarily on longer walks or errands or at the dog park, as a way to protect my knee. I go early when it's not crowded. I'm worried about being run into by a dog.

- The ice machine is my friend in the late afternoons and evenings.

- We went for a long drive this past weekend to Highway 1 and Route 9 (heaven for a roadster). It was a nine-hour day and my knee did OK! I drove a bit, which was too fun.

I hope you are all doing well!
 
Happy to hear from you! I have started subbing again this week and I am exhausted! I took both my ice machine and my 4 wheel walker to school with me. It keeps me balanced when I walk and is a great buffer in a hall full of teenagers. Glad to hear you're doing well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
I'm so glad you're doing so well, although sorry you have to go back to work so soon. That's one thing I'm grateful for, that I don't have to worry about a job throughout all of this. We're taking a short trip this weekend-I'm not really up to it but it's our anniversary and hubby wants to go. Originally we wanted to take a cruise or another nice trip, but that'll have to wait for next year. I've been doing some sewing, as that's one thing I can do for short periods at a time before my knee complains and my tummy pains hit again. It sounds like you're picking up your life again-that's wonderful! Those Giants............sigh.
 
Great to hear from you, and a good update. Sounds like you are getting back to a regular life. I sure Dakota appreciates renewed dog park trips. Are you still sleeping iced? I keep trying to see if I still need it, I know my husband is tiring of carrying it around etc. But when bedtime comes I still seem to look forward to that wrapped up coolness.

Keep feeling good, to better, to Best!
 
What a great report, I am happy for you, it sounds like you are doing normal things, good for your!!
 
Glad to hear your doing well. I was wondering how you were. Life and work do get in the way sometimes.
 
@dianehelen - I haven't iced at night for quite a while (about a month?) because I got so tired of the tubing getting in the way when I would toss and turn. I do enjoy the ice in the afternoon and evening. My knee was a bit sore this morning, so I iced it while working. I would say that as long as it helps at night, keep at it. You'll know when it's more of a pita than a help.

@lovetocookandsew - I am truly sorry you're knee is being such a pain and trouble. I hope you are able to have an enjoyable weekend! Happy Anniversary! Yeah, the Giants. I do love 'em, but it's not fun to see them struggle so much. My hubby is a happy camper with the Red Sox :).

I swam laps on Monday! Only five laps—250 yards—but it felt AWESOME! I was stiff and a bit sore later, but felt fine the next day.

We're thinking of taking the Jeep for a weekend trip to the Eastern Sierra to see fall colors and find some trails. That will truly be a test. I've noticed that when riding on something bumpy, my knee feels a bit "off" or just weird. Interesting. We won't be doing any rock crawling, so should be fine.

My daughter and her boyfriend are coming up this weekend to celebrate her birthday and I'm soooooo excited!
 
Hello, it's been almost a year since I've posted. wow. Life got busy. It's funny to read my last comment. We DID go off-roading and it was a blast. My daughter and her sweet boyfriend are still in southern California and are coming up soon. Happy Momma.

Let's not talk about baseball :bawl:

Anyhooooo...

I have a question for any cyclists that might be here:

My knee has been doing mostly well, but my foot often cramps like crazy, especially on long walks. My biggest question/problem is that I have had problems cycling:

When I ride, I feel a rubbing/something moving/not feeling normal in my knee. It happens on every rotation and feels extremely uncomfortable and then sore/painful.

Has anyone else had this happen? It's making cycling extremely difficult.

I did have a follow-up appointment with my surgeon regarding this issue and he examined my knee as well as complete x-rays and blood work to eliminate the possibility of infection. He showed me the x-rays and said that everything is fine.

I've been walking and swimming to strengthen my knee, but cycling is my favorite and I miss it.

Mods, could you please update the thread with something like ("Update on post #455"?) thanks so much!!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling
your thread title as requested, @LoveGiants.
 
Hi @LoveGiants
I'm wondering if a different thread title might be more helpful for you.
In just a short while, as more posts are added to your thread, people could be wondering why they are led back to read Post #455.

I think a title something like "One Year Update: problems cycling" will also get more responses for you from people interested in cycling.

Would you like me to change the title for you?
 
So you don't want to hear from me then? :heehee:

heheheeee...Oh, Josephine, of course! I'd appreciate feedback.


Hi @LoveGiants
I'm wondering if a different thread title might be more helpful for you.
In just a short while, as more posts are added to your thread, people could be wondering why they are led back to read Post #455.

I think a title something like "One Year Update: problems cycling" will also get more responses for you from people interested in cycling.

Would you like me to change the title for you?

That is brilliant, thank you so very much!
 
I had both knees done - staged 10 weeks apart - and started riding 6 weeks after the last one. Stiff to get started but manageable. Some pain but more stiffness. Now at 12 weeks (4 30+ mile rides this week) still some stiffness but getting slowly better. I'm still pretty slow (can't keep up with my team) but getting faster. I felt some mild pain but more the problem was and still is stiffness. FTIW - prior to surgery I was a pretty avid cyclist - 200+ miles a week so I started from a strong base. My "guess" with yours is that over the year since surgery scar tissue has formed and that is causing you pain.

If I were you I'd try slow short frequent rides slowly increasing mileage. Icing after every ride. If it is scar tissue it will take a while to get it better - but it will. But not without some pain along the way. As long as you are not seeing significant swelling afterwards I'd say just keep at it but with expectation of slow improvement.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom