TKR One Year Update: problems cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting in the pool is wonderful! I'm glad you were able to get in. Starting work part time at home sounds good too. You'll get a feel for howl your brain fog is doing.
 
I went to the pool today! Wooohoooooooo! I walked in the water for 20 minutes, and while it felt great at the time, I can feel it now—it's more stiff but doesn't hurt. I'll take that. Icing!

@34120 - I'm a UI/UX designer, so I'm on my bum most of the time. I am fortunate I can work from home. Teaching is a whole other story! Good idea to bring a walker to at least give you some support and help clear a path in the swarm :snork:.
Wonderful! I am planning on getting into our pool this weekend. Would have done it sooner but had to replace the skimmer. Of course, now we have a storm/hurricane on the way!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
I did the same thing with working from home. I was good as long as I wasn't on the heavy pain meds. The computer screen and pain meds don't mix well:)
 
Having some independence is *awesome*!!!! I needed some groceries and it was wonderful to go WHEN I needed to go! Now I have grapes and coffee, so it's all good :snork:. I'm really happy I can drive my little Miata. I am able to comfortably use my right foot for the brake and gas pedal since my left is for the clutch.

I'm only taking the arthritis tylenol (2 x 650mg every 8 hours), with some tramadol on hand for the time I need it—like last night at bed time after being in the pool earlier. Just Tylenol is working well, which is good because I love driving and wine (but not at the same time :)).

Regarding the pool, I'm very fortunate to have a 25-meter lap pool close by. I didn't want to join a gym just for the pool and this pool is fantastic. It's salt-water and indoor with tons of windows on the sides, so I can swim year round.

I'm glad to be able to work from home in a couple weeks because that will be so much easier than driving in, going up and down the stairs in the parking garage, and all the walking to the breakroom/coffee/restroom, not to mention the uncomfortable desk and chair.

Another first last night. I didn't even try the machine in bed. I have found that it's been getting on my nerves, probably because I'm tossing and turning more and sleeping on my side. That meant that I didn't have to wear PJ pants, but a gown, which is much more comfortable for me. It felt great.

I've had a busy few days, so other than a quick grocery run (any excuse to get out and throw the top down!), I've bene elevating and icing today.

I hope you are all doing well!
 
Isn't independence wonderful! You are doing so good and reaching new goals every week! I agree with you on the PJ pants. A gown is so much more comfortable. Unfortunately, I'm unable to give up the nighttime ice yet. Maybe next month!
 
I started with very short grocery trips--and like everything in tkr recovery, increased gradually.
 
@newlybionic - you have no idea :driver::rotfl:. Every turn is a twisty! Hahahahaaa

We've had a somewhat busy weekend, but I've had enough time to elevate and/or ice. My husband did a little off-roading this afternoon, but I thought I'd be pushing it to join him because I didn't know how it would feel to be jostled. Next time!

I slightly hyperextended my knee this evening. That was fun. Not. Icing!
 
You're doing great! I'm glad you enjoyed the pool. Keep up the progress. I have to say I'm so glad I've never had to worry about going back to work through all this. I honestly don't know how everyone here who works does it so soon after a TKR. But I know that I not only recover more slowly than most, I have never really recovered, so my perception is skewed in that area. Take it easy so you don't join the ODIC again!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling
    Jobu.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 151
Seven Weeks!

I can't believe it's been seven weeks today that I got my new knee.

So how are things going???

- My knee is feeling stable and strong. It hasn't felt like it's giving out or anything.
- I'm still using my cane, particularly for longer walks, mainly because I'll limp without it.
- Extension is good, flexion is around 90° and I'm stretching to improve that, but am not stressing over it.
- Energy drain is real! It's amazing how tired I feel after a little activity. However, I did run a few errands yesterday and lived to tell—Macy's, Wine and More (aka beer heaven), and grocery shopping. I'm taking it easy today. So far it seems that one "thing" a day is enough to kick my bum.
- I'm doing a bit more around the house, including some cooking (my husband rejoices!!!). My hubby doesn't want me to do too much and is very helpful, especially with dishes :).
- I'm icing during the day when I'm sitting and will elevate for about an hour a couple times. I've found that mentally, I'm SO OVER lying down. Over it.
- I'm not icing at night at all because I've been sleeping on my side and lying on my stomach a bit and the hose was getting on my nerves. I'm not missing having the sheets undone at the foot of the bed and having to wear PJ pants.
- I'm taking Tylenol—2 x 650mg every eight hours. I've been taking one 50mg tramadol when going to bed because I've been more active. That seems to help.
- I am going to work part time from home starting September 12. I'm thankful I don't have to go back to the office yet. I was thinking of Clara going back at week 7. OMG. I would be sleeping under the desk.
- My incision is FINALLY all sealed up and is looking better :happydance:
[Bonesmart.org] One Year Update: problems cycling
 
@LoveGiants
You are doing great for seven weeks. It's not long in the grand scheme of things, but things seem a lot better for you then even two or three weeks ago. Your scar looks really good, healing up nicely. It's good that you are being sensible about work and can work from home for a while. Well done :yay:
Tabby xxx
 
Thanks, @Tabbycat! I hope you're doing well, too. I know you had a long recovery.

I do feel blessed. It does take a LOT of patience, and sometimes (OK, too often!!) don't feel I have enough patience, but it is so worth it. I'm glad I got a new knee and can't wait to go on some adventures. I hope we get snow so I can go snow shoeing!!! We're planning a vacation and I need to go hiking next year.
 
Your incision looks so good. I know you're glad it's all closed up now! You are doing so good! Keep up the good work!
 
Wow! You did some running around! Good for you and good that you took it easy the next day. The energy drains can last for a while, I was still feeling it at 12 weeks. The scar looks good too!
 
Yep, I'm headed toward 13 weeks and still tire out easily. Most afternoon I nap. Of course, I'm a senior citizen now. Maybe that has something to do with it, too!
 
I've been running errands to get out of the house and to see how my knee deals with my Miata. I'm just so happy to in that little thing.

I can't nap for anything! I have to be passed-out tired to sleep during the day. I've always been like that. I'm hoping I can do some reading so I can catch-up on work-related stuff. Web tech changes so much and I haven't done enough this past year to keep up.

Thank you all for your encouragement. It means the world!!! :loveshwr:
 
Web tech changes so much and I haven't done enough this past year to keep up.


So glad you are doing so well. Your quote above made me smile, how much I can relate. It's that tech swarm that influenced my retirement. After ASP, then Ajax, And a zillion other new processes started swarming the scene it overwhelmed my 60 something brain, and I gave up the teaching and just kept a few of my fairly simple local web clients :), But you are young and have a fresher brain. You'll catch up.
 
:wowspring:You have been staying busy, good for you.

It is a great feeling to be able to be more active. Your incision looks great.

I'm glad you have the option to work part time, it was very hard going back full time, it's a little easier now but I'm still very tired when I get home.

Enjoy your new found freedom but remember to not over do it!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom