Guest viewing is limited

TKR One Year Update: problems cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all so much. It's been a day! It doesn't help that I didn't sleep well last night (skipping the middle of the night tramadol will NOT happen again—not ready) and I'm sure I'm PMS-ing because it's "kill me now for some chocolate!!!!" I did have a little bit after lunch, that stuff is magical! :rotfl:

I couldn't get my ice machine closed after adding ice and I just cried. Yeah, one of those days. Dakota, the wonder doodle, was looking at me like she was thinking, "Mom! What's wrong!"

I'm not doing any exercises other than walking and stretching.

I have my post-surgical follow-up this Friday morning. He wasn't worried about the pic of my incision (and Josephine said it was sealed underneath) and it's not seeping or anything. I am taking showers, per the OS's instruction.

My husband is very helpful and doesn't want me to do anything that will jeopardize my recovery. I am very blessed. One thing this recovery has forced me to do is relax regarding housework. There's dust on the tables! ugh!!!! :)


Some wonderful news, tho! My daughter is coming up for a visit! :happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:
She, her boyfriend, and her best friend (her best friend and boyfriend are brother and sister, that's how she met him) are coming up for a very short visit, but I'm so happy to see them! I haven't seen my girl in a couple months, so I'm well over due for a big hug. I can't wait.
 
In my opinion chocolate and wine can fix just about anything .:loll:

Don't think of it as dust, look at it as an extra layer of protection for the furniture.:rotfl:

I'm happy your daughter is visiting, I'm sure it's just what you need!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
No wonder you're feeling yucky, lack of sleep and pain can do that to you. Your daughter's visit will help you get out of the blues a bit! How wonderful!

I can't compare 5 weeks, because I was back in the hospital and transition care for 11 days at the 5 week mark. At one point I butt called a colleague while in the hospital and started crying and asked her to visit. I was pathetic! But I was totally over being housebound, chair bound, exhausted, and weepy for weeks 5-8. Lots of people say they see a difference at the 2 months, so remember where you were two or three weeks ago and where you are now. In two or three weeks you will have moved on.

I'm glad you'll see the OS on Friday. I know you're worried about that incision and just want it to close.

Tonight Jameson Taillon is pitching for the Pirates. He's good!
 
Your daughter's visit sounds like the perfect pick me up! And frustration can and does cause meltdown. I remember a few years ago, my right wrist (and I am right-handed) was in a cast for six weeks. One day, I was doing laundry, and then after the frustrations of getting things in and out of machines using one hand, I looked at the pile on my bed ready to fold, and just burst out in tears. Just turning things inside out, much less folding, was so difficult. And we won't even get into what it took to put on a bra every day one-handed! Sometimes tears are what it takes to regroup, and get going again.
 
After my shoulder surgery, I had to wear tube bars. I would put them on the floor and pull them up over my hips and tummy. If it got bunched, I was out of luck and had to start all over again! Enjoy your daughter and boyfriends visit. It will surely lift you up!
 
Thank you all!

My daughter just moved to Long Beach this summer, so this has been the longest I've gone without seeing her. I'm very happy for her because she's doing so well and can't be happier. Her oldest friend from middle school is also coming over this Sunday, so it will be a houseful of my favorite kids. I can't wait.

My husband also worked on cheering me up by sending links of car videos :driver:. Now I want an Eagle Speedster!!!!! Time to buy a lottery ticket, or three :rotfl:. I agree with Clarkson, that is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.


@uva55 - omg, I cannnnnnnnnot wait for a glass of wine. I have some quality, dairy-free, dark chocolate that is soooooo good. Just a row does the trick.

@greatlakes - I remember wrist injuries (broke them three times!! I was a nut and a klutz as a kid). They are not fun.

@KarriB - You had a very hard time! Many more challenges than I have. You weren't being pathetic, just honest. I really want this incision to finally be healed so I can get in a pool. I have a membership at a workout pool and am looking forward to going into the water—even to just walk at first. But I have to wait to be able to drive so I can get there.

Your Pirates beat us again! Giants pitching. ugh! :holysheep:
 
I'd want that incision closed also. I don't blame you. Hopefully the dr. will have a plan.

The Pirate's pitching has been bad, but we brought up some young guns from Indy, which has been good. Not sure who's on the mound this afternoon.
 
I'm sorry about the sweep, Julie! But we do have to play the Cards and the Cubbies.
 
@KarriB - no worries! Good luck against the Cubbies and Cards!


I ordered my tramadol refill and when my husband went to pick it up, the pharmacist said that I have to wait until the 22nd because the current prescription should last until the 23rd. So I double checked the bottle and sure enough, it says take one four times a day, and not one every four hours! Oooopsie!

Interesting thing is that they're 50mg and until a few days ago, one every four hours was needed and still are at night. One 50mg every eight hours doesn't seem to be enough for the early stages of recovery. I'll be fine with it during the day now, tho. I'm glad I saved some percocet and will take one at night and have enough tramadol to get me through to the 22nd.

So, lesson learned—read the bottle closely :hairpulling:
 
Hi @LoveGiants, has your OS actually seen your incision other than a photo? I hope you can get an appointment with him-if it is the condition that Josephine described with her photo of overlapping skin, then perhaps it's not going to heal together, it might just need to "spread out" to heal. I had a similar situation with my hip last year and had a big dimple at the top, like a deep impression. It took months of scabbing and stretching out to finally blend in; it's not a pretty scar but won't be noticeable because it's at the top of my leg. With a knee, you want a prettier scar. I wonder if they could anesthesize the area and patch it up? I know they are terrified of infection so want to leave well enough alone.

Before surgery I showed my surgeon the bad scar from the hip replacement last summer (the PAs usually do the stitching up), and told him I wanted a better one. This one seems to be okay, but there were 2 stubborn stitches-one at the top and one at the bottom of the incision so those areas of scar will be a little bigger.

Best wishes!!
 
@LaylaHips - Hi! I have an appointment tomorrow. I'm keeping that taped up until he sees it. The stapling seemed fine, as far as staples go :), so I wonder if the initial taping by the PT was sub-par. Who knows and it doesn't really matter, but it's been over three weeks since the staples were removed and it's still not closed all the way.


Another weird thing...I've noticed my new knee sometimes clicks (don't know if that's the right word), but it feels weird. I think I read something that indicates it's normal, but will take some getting used to if so.
 
Hey, Love Giants. Yes, it will make different sounds at different times on different knees. All is normal. Good luck at the dr.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
Thank you, @34120.

The knee sometimes feels like it's moving around inside when I move my leg, particularly if I need to movie it side-to-side. It just started doing that this past week.

I am a bit worried about the doctor appointment because my knee has been more stiff and swollen these past days. I didn't even go for a walk this morning, have been taking it extra easy.
 
Some knees will click in the beginning, but eventually stop. Mine stopped. I'm not surprised your knee is stiff, I think it would feel strange to flex it with the wound open like that. I'm curious to hear what he does about it tomorrow.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, @KarriB. It is sooooooo very helpful to hear that what I'm experiencing is typical. I still have it taped with steri-strips and can feel the tug of the tape. Having seen Josephine's photos, I'd say my knee is at least moderately swollen.

I keep reminding myself to be patient and to look at the big picture. It's not always easy.

Thanks again for being so helpful, I do appreciate it.
 
Hiya Julie. I'm a bit behind you but also have non welded bits in my scar where the steri strips are tugging, pulling and generally annoying me.

Noticed last night that the top non-closed section is really tender to the touch (through the dressing, not bare hands), so that is now worrying me a little. I'm getting it checked out again in a few hours, so will see what they say.
 
@LoveGiants, I have just developed a "clicking" feeling but it's the hamstring tendon on the outside of the back of the knee slipping when I flex the knee. It just started this week, I think when I was doing a repetitive exercise I wasn't fully comfortable with (from old home visit PT). The out patient PT told me that it's the hamstring tendon that's tight because my leg was in a flexion contracture for the last few years (I think it was stuck at 10 degrees flexion, I could never fully extend it) and it takes a while for that tendon to stretch back to normal. I put some kinesiotape on it which seems to help, along with stretches, etc. Let us know how you do tomorrow!
 
@LoveGiants, @LaylaHips, I think what we are experiencing are mostly the aches and pains, clicks and snaps of our soft tissues. Our new knees are very stable, I hope. Check out today's lament on my thread. I'm thinking we may be normal!
LG: let us know about your incision, THAT may not be normal and your devoted followers want to violate your hippa rights by asking. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
Hello!

My appointment this morning couldn't have gone any better!

One thing I *really* appreciate about my OS is that he takes time to listen and answer questions. He's a busy, but when he's in the office with you, you'd never know. He's also very personable and easy to talk to, which I appreciate it. I never felt intimated by asking questions.

I removed the steri-strips while waiting and the incision looked better, but still not perfect. He said my incision was fine and the best thing to do is wear long pants and not look at it :snork:. He said it's sealed, but the very top is still working on closing. He said that I can go to the pool!!! :yes!:

I asked about when I could drive and he thought I was strong enough (my knee feels very stable and strong), but when I'm not taking meds, I'll be good to go. I'll try just taking one at night, that should be fine. I'll try Monday and hope to go to the pool.

My extension was very close to 0° and he was very impressed. My flexion was a little over 90° and thought that was good. He told he to do flexion exercises and I'll be in great shape.

He also said that the redness, warmness, noises, and numbness are all normal. They will go away in time, but the numbness might take a while and rarely might not go away at all. That's the least of the things that bother me. He was also very happy that I was doing some walking. He thought that was great and encouraged me to keep at it.

Funny thing: he asked if I was going to PT and when I said that I wasn't but was stretching at home, he had a big smile and said, "Good!" :rotfl: He is NOT a fan of PT at all.

It felt great to get his reassurance that I'm doing ok, even "great!" in his words. What a relief and it lifted a large burden off my shoulders—more than I realized. My sweet hubby took the day off and we went to Costco this afternoon. I has so happy to be able to get into the Jeep and do something! haha!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom