TKR one week done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, woke up feeling lousy! My leg is very sore, swollen. Been icing, and that makes it feel better. Took pain med, and it only helped so-so. Making me a little nervous!
 
@louie I know what you mean. Just be gentle. It all will come. Some progress faster. I am 5 months and I still ice and have pain. Makes me cold to. It' takes lots patiance. If Meds is not helping then you need to get doc to adjust. Good luck. Xxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Ty Angel! I don't know why I feel so swollen today! Concentrating on water intake. And ate too much salt yesterday. I know I should be more careful. My pt is coming in the next hour, and I can hardly move! Lol!
 
Took pain med, and it only helped so-so. I don't know why I feel so swollen today!
The crucial question is, what are you prescribed and how much did you take?

In fact forget that, I'm going to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] one week done!
)
Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often?

Can you detail it like this
At physio or PT
First description - 5 reps x 2 sets
Second description - 10 reps x 2 sets

At home
First description - 5 reps x 2 sets 3 session a day
Second description - 10 reps x 2 sets 3 sessions a day
 
1. Pain level 8
2. Oxicodone 5mg, take 1 or 2 every 4 to 6 hrs.
3. Ice when I start to get sore and for about 20 min.
4. Yes I elevate when I sit, which right now is most of the time.
5. Rom is 100
6. Activity is just walking to the bathrm, and that is I am going alot. All on one floor.
7. Did pt yesterday, once, and did all exercises, and that's what made me sore! Right now pt sessions are at home, twice a week and 1st one is today.
 
You are right---the PT made you sore. Simple theme---If it hurts, do not do it. You do not need to do leg lifts right now. In fact, if you leg breaks---(the knee bends) while lifting, it is counterproductive to do them. Instead do quad sets---make your quad muscle contract and hold it for 10 sec.

I think the PT is pushing you too much---do not allow that to happen. Most of the PT's who come to your house are not really trained all that well. they tend to be officious---You will do this and then that. You are the boss, however, and can say stop whenever anything hurts to do. You do not owe the pt anything.

ice for more than 20 min, especially when you are sore and swollen. These first few weeks, you really want to deal with the swelling more than anything else.

Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice
 
Ty for that, and I am elevating and icing right now! Just gonna relax and enjoy! This forum has been very helpful!:idea:
 
It was a week ago yesterday, that I had my surgery, and I take oxycodone 1 to 2 tablets every 4 hours, and the 2 tabs just doesn't take the pain away. Shold I call my Dr and ask what i can take to help with this pain?? Home health nurse will b here soon.
 
This is my second time, and this one seems to ache a lot more! Wondering if I should contaCT my dr, to ask for something to go with the oxycodone 5mg, that I am on! It's been a rough week! Also I have more bruising this time. I appreciate the advice, ty.
 
Hi @louie , every TKR is different - even on the same person. Are you icing and elevating? Yes, do contact your surgeon or family doctor. It can take a bit to get the pain management cocktail just right.
 
Hi, Louie....You may notice that I have merged your two threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you.

You aren't real clear on how many of your pain pills you're taking. Since you are still having problems with pain, I suggest you take the full dose for at least a few days to get it under control. That means 2 pills every 4 hours, whether you're hurting right then or not. The regular dosing on a set schedule is what keeps the pain at bay. But you first must get it to a good level. This means you must set an alarm so you can take them through the night as well!

If you are taking the maximum dose of your pain meds and still have problems, then it's time for a call to your surgeon's office. Talk to his nurse and they can try something different. It is critical to keep that pain managed.

Also....MUCH more ice!!! You need to do it at least 45 minutes at a time. Be sure you have a towel between the ice source and your skin to prevent tissue damage. Ice reduces both pain and swelling, so do it as much as is comfortable for you. Every time you are elevating, let the ice roll! With both my knees, I slept with gel packs on all night long....bliss!!!
 
Ty jamie, icing now and it does help some, and I am taking oxycodone 5mgs, 1 to 2 every 4 hrs. And it doesn't take the pain away all the way, I took the 2 oxycodone 45min ago and still a level 5. It just makes me sleepy.
 
How are you doing this weekend? If you can get to a pain level of 3-4 that may be considered "acceptable" by the OS. But if it's worse than that with taking 2 oxy every 4 hours, you should definitely call the doc to see what your other options are.
 
I seem to be feeling better. Pain level has dropped to about a 3, when I stay on the oxycodone every 4 hours, and take 2 each time. That first week, was awful. When my health nurse was hereally on fri, she called it in to my doctor, and I c him on mon, and go from there. Ty for checking!
 
Today I had my follow-up appt, and had the staples out today! My incision looks great, and glad I have that behind me! Plus it was nice just getting out ofor the house!!
 
Big milestone to get those stitches out. I felt like my knee was less tight right away. Glad to see you are doing well.
 
Oh ty, I feel like I am doing very well. Once I got on top of the pain, everything elselse was tolerable! So happy to see my knee is healing well!
 
Really good to see that you're going well. It feels so good getting those staples our doesn't it. Don't forget to keep taking your meds, icing and elevation. I always try to re before l can walk and end up in the overdone it club (ODIC), so remember to take it slowly. :loll:
 
I am doing really good today, ty. Some days better than others, but I know that kind of goes with the territory! Sitting all day gets to me, and that's why I think doing more than I should comes into play. I really must say , the second time around seems easier, and this time for me it's still nice outside, and the last time, winter was right around the corner, and I was homebound! Yuk! So timing , living in northeast is very important!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom