TKR one week done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@louie yes l know the area well lol l seen a DR. about 2 weeks ago at the V.A in Syracuse.she told me to come back in 2 months and they would give me a xray of the knee and talk a MUA if needed.it will be 6 months then.l feel like a baby learning or trying to walk with out my crutch,l have to hold on to stuff to move,this is coming from a guy whos always been active and in good shape,as far as my OS,hes no longer there.l don't have much pain just stiffness and weakness in my leg,somebody on this forum said its like dragging a log and l can agree, l' still hoping time takes care of everything. this is my first surgery and might be my last lol, l would love to be able to recommend surgery but at this time l wish l didn't have it done,
 
Wow sabbath, I am sorry to hear you are having such a hard recovery! I don't blame you one bit, about how you feel!! Do you have to go through the va?? And if you do, what about the one in Albany, my husband is a vet, and we have been told Albany is much better?
Can you see an ortho outside of the va? I would highly recommend my dr, and there are some very good ones in utica! It just seems to me, that the va is taking too long to help you! A friend of mine was at 12 weeks, and having similar problems as you, and she had the same dr as me, and she had developed a lot of scar tissue, Earl on and they did an mua, and she is so happy they did! She can't believe how much better she is doing! I hope you can get some help!!
 
How come when I do the slides, it hurts underneath my knee? I am now 5 weeks, as of tomorrow, and I get a pain that feels like it's pulling all my calf muscles, and it's the kind of pain that upsets my stomach! So I don't do them, because it hurts!!
 
@louie Mine hurt at first also so I would ice and try the next day. I was told it was part of the healing process. You are working the muscles they had to cut for your new knee. I found sitting on the couch with little by little bending my knee and trying to stretch my hamstring. It hurts but does get better. It still hurts but not as bad. The downside is trying to straighten your knee after. Feel better. Let me know if it helps:doggie:
 
@Pescara, that makes sense, it's just once I start it just aches like a toothache! I know I have to do them, so a little each day!
So how are you doing? Was wondering how you are! And ty, for the advice!!
 
Hey can anyone tell me what I can use, to make the itching stop on my scar? It's one spot and driving me nuts!! Thanks!!
 
I use Palmers cocoa butter. They also have a great face lotion I use on my feet. When I was doing heal slides I would use an old cookie sheet or magazine. It makes it a lot easier. I'm ok just down today. I would rather be at home!:dogsniff:
 
@Pescara, oh ty, I do have that,and wow that I itching drove me nuts!
Sorry to hear you are down, I know it's not easy not being able to do what you want, and your body says no no no!
But once you feel better, and back on your feet, you won't think about this set back!
 
Mine is peeling horribly... I heard to use bio oil for the scar.. Wonder if it will help the peeling.. I have been using a&d ointment

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
The nurse at the ortho clinic told me in no uncertain terms that I was not to use any lotions, potions or creams on my scar until 6 weeks post surgery. The skin around my knee is so dry I can't wait to see the OS tomorrow and get the all clear to use skin cream or oil or something.
 
You are working the muscles they had to cut for your new knee.
Nowadays, they don't cut any muscles, but they do have to pull them aside, so they can get tender.
 
Oh the muscles are tender, for sure, and I have been using a cream I got from the hospital, but I was told wait until 6 weeks before putting anything on my scar!! But my leg looks so dry, and the itching has been better!!
Thank you for answering my post, it sure helps!
 
I think I have a problem, I was checking my scar and at the bottom I noticed a little redness, and heat! A little bit of pushing came out and I am trying ingredients to find out what I should do! I am on hold with hospital, any suggestions?
 
Sorry my I pad is putting words down that I didnt! Puss is coming out of a little part at the end of my scar! Looks like a pin prick.
 
Let your surgeon or your primary care physician know. It's probably a small, superficial infection, but it should be checked out.
 
Thank you, and I hope that's all it is! Have an appointment this morning with my ortho, in the OR. Just a tad bit nervous! :beg::sos:
 
Could it be a stitch working its way out? Hope it is something minor!
 
Yes it had something to do with that! Almost had to be admitted, but I do have a follow up with my surgeon on tues., so they cleaned out the infection, and it wasn't deep, and close to my knee, more towards my calf, and so they let me go home. I am on an antibiotic, and will find out what type of infection it is on tues! Of course this had to happen on a holiday weekend!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom