TKR one week done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@louie living in Florida it's to hot to go outside. I can't wait for fall. Glad you are doing great. I am getting ready for my right knee replacement. Now I know what to expect. Maybe it will be easier. :doggie:
 
good luck on your recovery ,,don't over do,,did you have your operation in Binghamton?
 
No not Binghamton, but cooperstown @ bassett hospital. And love my ortho, great surgeon. My hospital stay was great, they just opened the 4th floor, and ortho patients get their own room, it was perfect.
My daughter said the same thing about florida, just too hot to do anything this time of year. And that's what I meant about timing, this time for me I can get out more. Just to be able to walk, without worry about slipping on ice.
So keep posting, love to hear how everyone is doing...
 
My first 3 days in the hospital was a blur. I am on Norco 7.5. With Tylenol every 6 hours. I was afraid of anything stronger due to withdrawal symptoms. Doesn't getting the staples out feel great . Sounds like you're doing well. Remember to walk before you can run lol. Keep up the great work:puppysmooze:
 
So pleased you are doing well. I was reading your thread because I am 5 days behind you - had mine on 27th.

Inadequate pain meds have been the biggest issue for me. Having gotten the pain under control during the daytime on Monday, I've had two nights from hell and I have now been placed on much stronger stuff for night use only (amitriptyline). So it's great to hear that after having your surgical staples out (I have my mouth on Monday) you are doing well. It's a real help to know that things can get better!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Pescara, that was how I felt with my first surgery, and told my dr, and everything was different this time, and I remembered so much more, which I liked a lot better. Oh yes my knee feels 100%, since I got the staples out.
I just can't get over, how different this second time has been.
 
@Julie-Ann, oh once you get the pain under control, you will feel so much better. I had a few nights last week I felt like pulling my hair out. My first surgery, I didn't have this much pain, but once it has been under control, I feel so much better. Still on 2 oxycodone every 4 hrs, and just see how it is day by day.
 
@Loule I called my OS after 1 week of pain and he doesn't believe in anything stronger than Norco 7.5 so a few days I doubled up. Went to see my GP and got a stronger Norco. It helped a lot. I finally got over my fear of driving yesterday. I was out of ice cream lol. I did great and had a good time. Getting in and out of the car was easier than I thought it would be. My new knee is still discolored and my scar looks angry. It will get better as time goes by. Hope you are doing great. Thinking of you:flwrysmile:
 
@Pescara , I guess it's always day by day. Yesterday I went out and took a couple of short walks, and today I feel drained. Plus when I got up my knee was stiff. Still on 2 oxycodone every 4, although during day trying to do one. I have to realise, my knee is only 2 wks old. Yeah , mine looks angry, too. Sounds like u r making good progress, :tada:.
 
@louie I only have 2 weeks before my other knee is done so I need to be ready. I only had 6 at home PT sessions and 3 at the rehabilitation center then left on my own. I still do my PT with my husband's help and getting stronger every day. I have noticed my right knee is taking the pressure due to getting my left one done. At least I will have matching knees !!!
 
@Pescara, yep u sure will have them match!! And when will you have your next surgery?? Certainly keep you in my prayers, but I think having it done like you are doing is smart. Get it done and over with, and the knees will get strong together. Your gonna feel like a new woman! My husband helps me too, so glad he is retired. The first week I was home, I felt like I was running him ragged. He would just fall into bed, but it's much better now, as I can do a lot on my own. Yay!!! So keep us posted as to how you are doing!!
 
I see my OS on the 18th. I already know the drill! 3 days in the hospital 5 days in rehab. Last time I saw him on a Tuesday morning and was in surgery on Friday. Hope you are doing good.
 
Oh I am doing fine, compared to the my last surgery. Just more pain this time, so going through pain meds more quickly, it seems like. But taking them every 4 hrs.
So you are going in on the 18th, and after that you are on the road to painless knees!! Yay! Isn't it nice to see light at the end of the tunnel? It's really not bad the second ty I'm around, your gonna do great! Please keep me posted, as every one will wanna know how you are doing!!
 
I will keep you posted. I am taking my kindle with me. It's my life line . Less than 2 weeks away. I just hope my insurance agrees. Last time I called them after my visit and had them fast track my approval.
 
I hope your ins, approves too. Nothing worse than having to worry about that.
Other than that, just work on what you have too for right now! Your gonna find once your other knee is done, they will both feel so much better. They will feel strong, and it's wonderful to feel that way!!
 
I am not sure if I am putting my comments in the right spot, but here it goes.
I hade like last oct (2014) and r tkr July 22, and the difference in recovery is amazing! When my first knee was done, I didnt go out of the house for the first few weeks, and this one I was out the end of the first week. I didn't have a lot of pain with the first, and a LOT with the second, but that has subsided. Going into the third week, I am down to every 6 hours instead of every 4!
We had the whole family over for a bbq, yesterday, and apologized to my husband that I couldn't help, but I did more than I ever could after 1st surgery. I even was able to help with dishes.
Also I am walking with my cane, although, walker is still here. I didn't even dare walk with a cane until after 4 weeks. Needless to say, I am sooo surprised at my progress, it just is mind boggling.
 
@louie Sounds like you had a great day but please rest today. Seems like everyones second knee is easier. I see my OS next Tuesday for my right knee. The way I feel today after 9 weeks I am on the see saw. First I want it then not. I still have a week to make up my mind:thud:
 
Oh I know how you feel exactly, I almost opted out myself! Knowing how close I came not to go through with it, but glad I did and just go from there. You will make the right choice, and I have read how the second time around is easier, but it still amazes me that it actually is. So see what you and your os decides, and I will be thinking of you!! Oh and I did rest after, iced and I do worry I may be pushing it. But it does feel ok, and the pain has subsided immensely. So my pt is here, and they are discharging me today, and then I move onto outpatient therapy!
 
You know what I am worried about? It's the extension, I just can't seem to get it! My rom is coming, but the pull on the extension goes all the way up to my butt! These stretches are really hurting this time. I don't push it, just do what I can, then ice!!:flabber::shrug:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom