THR One hip done

@Hip4life I had my home health care assessment.
I prefer to see the nurse and physical therapist 1x per week each. I have to follow up tomorrow.
I will be doing easy movements and nothing that hurts. My job, sleep, eat, pee, and poop.
Thanks again for your kind words :)
 
Hi everyone,
I am venting right now. I do not like my home nurse and have to request another one. I have yet to hear from my physical therapist.

This is day 8 or day 9 including the day of surgery.
I have under estimated the pain. It is brutal.
I am using the walker and can’t stand on my own. I am getting a MRI of my spine and seeing a spine specialist. The continued numbness of my whole thigh is a concern for my surgeon.

I am suppose to have the other hip done and right now the thought of doing this again is frightening for me.
End of my venting right now. Thanks for reading.
Tracey
 
This is all quite normal so early in your recovery. I was on a walker for 6 weeks.
Numbness is also quite common, I experienced it from surgical site down back of thigh off and on and even now sometimes I have a little numbness. Lots of nerves need to regenerate.
I had ankle surgery 4 years ago and my toes on that ankle still get numb off and on, My surgeon told me some nerves just never reconnect properly.
As far as the nurse, change if necessary. All you need to be doing right now is resting, ice, elevate, get up to use bathroom, maybe walk around the house with your walker and back to bed!
Be sure to take your meds on time.
 
Hi there,
I thought I would update. I am on day 12 post-op. I am doing better. I am continuing to use my walker but feeling better.
Last night was rough. I came off the Percocet on Saturday morning (last dose). I then switched to Tramadol and did not like the side effects, only took one dose.
I then switched to Tylenol extra strength but it was not cutting it. I was in such pain. I contacted my doctor and he said I could take 600 mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours and that has been better for me.
I have to say I underestimated the surgery and the upheaval it would cause. My daughter has decided to not take classes this semester to be home with me. She is an absolute Angel.

I am having my left hip in October so 6 weeks now.
I am actually glad my I am changing my home health care. I prefer not doing PT right now. I appreciate my walking, ankle pumps, mini slides and rest.
I am scheduled to go to an event the day before Thanksgiving and I believe I will be able to do that. I will be 4 weeks post -op from my left hip and a little over three months post-op from my right and if not, that is okay.

I have an event after my right hip 6 week check up in October before the left hip surgery. I am hoping I will be ok or my daughter will attend on our family’s behalf.
Ok, well that is all for now. Thanks to everyone here. This community has been fantastic.

Tra2419
 
I need help please!!!
The last 2-3 days when sleeping. I have been having night sweats with some pain and shaking.
I do not have a fever and there is no visible sign of infection. I was wondering if it is the stopping of the Percocet and one dose of Tramadol. I am no longer on any opioids. It seems weird that this is only happening when I try to rest and get sleep.

I am now on ibuprofen 600mg every 6 hours along with my aspirin and colase.

Anyone have anything similar
 
@Tra2419 it does sound like withdrawal symptoms. Did you stop the medication altogether? It's usually best to taper off heavier medication. These symptoms should ease but for next time:

You can do one of two things to begin reducing the amount of drug you are taking:

1. Begin spreading out the times when you take the drug. If you are currently taking it every 4 hours, for a couple of days make it every 5 hours, then 6 for a few days and so forth until you reduce to one pill a day (usually at bedtime, cuz that's when we seem to need the pain relief most). Then at that point, you can start taking half a pill for a while and then no pill. At that point (no pill), you would take them only periodically when you have pain that over-the-counter medication won't take care of.

2. You can stay on the same schedule (like every 4 hours) and cut back on the amount of the narcotic with each dose. That can be done by asking your doctor for a lower-strength medicine or by cutting pills in half. Only reduce the amount by 1/2 pill at a time if you are staying on the same schedule - not a whole pill. Then when you get to the point that you're taking a half pill at each dose time (that's about as small a dose as you can get), start spreading out the time between doses. This approach works if you need the pain medicine during the day for PT appointments or other activity where over-the-counter meds won't work.

As you're cutting back, expect that you may have to use NSAIDS to fill in the gaps for pain.... Aleve (Naproxen), Advil (Ibuprofen), Motrin or try Tylenol (Paracetamol).

Just be sure you don't try to cut back too fast. You'll feel it if you do and will need to make adjustments accordingly to slow the taper. The whole process can take several weeks, so be patient and make sure you are stable for a day or so at each level before you make another reduction.

Or....you can contact your doctor and ask what schedule THEY prefer you do. But I believe a person will do just as well taking care of this yourself. Only YOU know how you feel at any given time. You want to cut back just enough so the over-the-counter meds work and not so much that you get those flu-like symptoms or have pain.
 
@Jaycey Hi and thanks for responding.I was taking Percocet for 7 days. I was taking 1 every 6 hours.
I stopped then my Dr. had prescribed the Tramadol so I took 1 dose and stopped.
I am going to talk to my doctor at my 6 week post-op about how to wean off so the withdrawal doesn’t happen.
It never occurred to me since it was for a week.
Thank you again for responding.
Hopefully over the next few days it will get better and I can get rest. I am fine when I am awake but when I lay down to rest is when it happens. The sweating and pain wasn’t from leg but the withdrawal of the narcotics.
@Tra2419
 
@Tra2419 medication affects everyone differently. Some people just stop taking the heavy medication and don't feel any side effects. I am hypersensitive to most medication so weaning off gradually really make sense to me.

You were only taking Percocet for 7 days so your doctor will probably disagree that it was withdrawal. They say 2 weeks or longer can result in withdrawal. But you know your body!

See how it goes for the next few days. If this continues then I would contact your surgeon.
 
Thank you @Jaycey. You are right. I will see how this rest goes. I will contact on Friday morning if not better. Hopefully today is better. :)
 
I looked through your posts and didn't see you mention ice. Are you icing and doing it for long periods of time? I was lucky enough to have an icing machine and kept it on if I wasn't walking. I slept with it the first weeks. It gave the greatest comfort from pain for me.
 
Hi @Tra2419
How are you doing? Hope you are recovering well. You will get better and better as each day goes by. Things will get easier.

Ice packs were my best friend and I iced several times every day. :ice:

Please hang in there!
:yahoo:
 
Hello,
@Momo Lee @Eman85,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am using ice packs because now the pain is in my lower thigh and knee area. I am still using my walker. I am doing more and more on my own. I am not sure how to use the cane. I tried briefly and did not feel supported.

It is like my nerves and muscles are coming back and they are yelling. So I am icing. I have slept with the ice packs but not recently.

I am better as far as the withdrawals like symptoms. Last night was a little better.
I am not getting great rest. I am sleeping about 5-6 hours. I usually get 7-8 regularly. I am actually sending an email to my orthopedic doctor who checked on me today ( I missed her call). I am letting her know about the withdrawal like symptoms and hope to have a better plan for weaning me off since I am getting my Left hip done next month.

Thanks again
@Tra2419
 
Don't rush to use cane but when you do transition to cane you hold on opposite side of your surgery. So you had right THR, so cane would go in left hand. Also be sure you have it at a proper height.
If you feel more supported with walker then continue to use it, you are only 2 weeks post op, this is a journey not a marathon.
all my best.
 
Plenty of instructional videos on cane use, check Youtube. Be sure to adjust your cane, if it's adjustable, so it's comfortable.
 
I am not sure how to use the cane.
Are you seeing a physical therapist? If so, he/she can help with this -- not only showing you how to use the cane properly, but also setting the height correctly for you.

As others have said, there is no need to rush to using the cane. I stuck with the walker for 3-4 weeks post-op before I started to transition. Do what makes you feel most stable. You don't want to risk a fall now.
 
Thanks for sharing your journey! I think people are more mindful of a Walker than a cane. I am only a week out- my Walker makes me more focused in a good way. I had a cane before surgery and would often rush walk which would be disastrous now.
 
@Tra2419 it sounds like you are progressing well. SInce it sounds like you are off the heavy meds, for the sleeping issues, have you considered taking ibuprofen or acetaminophen with a PM - Advil PM (ibuprofen) or Excedrin PM (acetaminophen) at night? It may be enough to get you to that 7th or 8th hour of rest! Just be sure to watch your doses and how much you are taking throughout the day and night. For example, the recommended 24-hour maximum of acetaminophen is 3,200 mg (4,000 if you are very careful you are not taking anything else that may have acetaminophen in it). Check the bottles!
 
Hello @benne68 @Hippie Chick @myglasshalffull and @Eman85.
You guys are all great. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I have decided I will be using my walker until comfortable. I am going to check on YouTube and I don’t think the one I have is adjustable. I may need to get a different one.
I am still having night sweats and I did get 5 1/2 yesterday.

Right now, I am taking my aspirin for 7 more days and I am back taking my medication for my blood pressure and blood sugar.

I am meeting with my doctor to discuss how we can wean me off the Percocet for this left hip. I am
doing my 6 week post-op and my 2 week pre-op at the same appointment. Then on to recovery road slow and steady. :)

Again, so very grateful for this community.
Tra2419
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom