THR One hip done

Hi there @NightQuilter I was thinking of taking something to get some sleep. I will check with the doctor. I am not taking any acetaminophen. Thanks for suggestion and taking the time to reply.
Love the community!
 
Totally agree with @myglasshalffull and @benne68, using a walker and being stable and safe is paramount to using a cane. Using a walker at night is much safer as you navigate to the restroom; getting meds, etc.

Good luck! You can do it!
 
Hello everyone,
I had my one month anniversary on the 24th. I am in week 5 and have my 6 week post op next week. It will also be my two week pre op for my left. I am getting it done on the 19th of October.
I am doing better. I am still using my walker. I am not doing any pt with a therapist. I am doing my ankle pumps, glute squeezed and walking. My home health nurse was incompetent and I was suppose to get my home pt through the company but declined. I will get outside pt after my second one and continue to do the home exercises.
I feel like it is a blessing because I have been resting, icing, walking around my house. I have practiced with the cane a few times but still prefer my walker.
I am still doing sponge or wash ups from the sink. My daughter has helped me. I have a shower tub with sliding doors. I have not figured out out to get in, because I cannot lift my foot up that high. I am 5’1. So, if anyone knows how to safely get in to the shower tub with sliding doors please let me know.
Ok, that is it for the check in for now.
Thanks everyone here.
Tra2419 :)
 
Last edited:
I do not have the glass doors on my shower over tub. I have a tub chair that I back in front of and transition to. The chair makes it possible for me to get my leg over the tub side as the seat will pivot around and my surgical leg with a little help is in the shower. Without glass doors I have more room to accomplish this. I also saw benches where you sit and the seat slides into the shower. A shower wand is another great thing as it would let you keep your doors open. It may be helpful to consider getting in with a chair with the doors closest to the tub controls. The tub wall is a real challenge in itself. Check the different options on Amazon. I hope you find something that will help.
 
Hi guys,
I was wondering if you used Vaseline to get the mesh off. My mesh has held on a long time.
I am going to my 6 week post-op on Wednesday. When I contacted my surgeon before he said I could use Vaseline. I decided to leave it alone. There are small pieces coming off but a good portion is still on the incision site.

I am having a slight pain in my groin area. It a sharp pain when I stand or turn in my walker.

I still have not figured out how to get in the tub shower. Don’t know yet what to do
@ Layla I am ordering the steps and hope they can help.
Thanks
Tra2419 :)
 
@Tra2419,
Could you place a folded bath towel over the slides for the doors on the tub side to sit on while you get your legs moved from out of to in tub? Probably not a wide enough opening with the doors in place, but at 5’1” your legs should be short!! The more I think about it the more I think it won’t work. Or maybe your significant other could lift the doors out of the track while you get in and place them back for the actual shower. Just some thoughts to consider.
Sounds like you’re doing well otherwise, keep the ice and pain pills going. Prayers and blessings.
 
I have had glass doors before- can someone remove them for you? You could modify and hang a shower curtain with zip ties if necessary.
If you are able to get out- do you have a gym membership? My gym has showers for after swim or workout. When there are power outages, members often just take advantage of the showers.
 
Hi guys,
I am having a little groin pain on my rthr and my the top of my right buttock, both knees and my lower back on my rthr.

I have been recovering the Bonesmart way.
I am still using my walker. I am practicing with the cane and have walked about 10 - 20 feet unaided, but continue to use my walker.

I am icing and I have used some icy hot on my back, buttock and my knees.
I want to know if it is normal and temporary.

I also wanted to know what you guys did about your vaccines ( flu, Covid ) if you got them. Did you wait or get them. My OS said it was fine, so I was going to get my flu vaccine like Monday or Tuesday and my Covid booster in November about 3 weeks after my LTHR. Just wanted to hear other opinions.

I had my post-op and my OS is on board with the Bonesmart way.
He said after the 12th week of my second surgery (Which is on October 19,2023) I can do some outside PT and work on my gait, posture and strengthening. He agrees Hips don’t need the PT like knees usually do. He was fine with resting, icing, elevating, and walking around the house.
I told him I was doing my ankle pumps, glute squeezes, and some heel slides.


Thanks Tra2419
 
Last edited:
@Tra2419 Sounds like normal recovery discomfort. It is probably more complicated as you are trying to stay off that left hip. Take things very easy for now. Once you have your second THR, full recovery can begin.
I also wanted to know what you guys did about your vaccines ( flu, Covid ) if you got them.
No reason to wait for vaccines. Get them as soon as you can. One more thing out of the way.

Sounds like your surgeon is a gem!
 
I totally agree. As your hip(s) degenerated, your body made a lot of adjustments to compensate and try to avoid the pain. WIth your new hip, you are back in proper alignment on the right and your body is adjusting to your new, correct, normal. The areas you mention are all making those adjustments and the pain will subside. Good luck with lefty!
 
I used Tiger Balm on my knee- I liked it better than the icy hot. It was recommended by a hiker friend. I think @Esmeralda and @Mojo333 shared to swing your legs gently back and forth a couple of minutes a few times a day as well as marching in place prior to walking. I hope I attributed correctly. Both of these were game changers for me.
In the winter I take immunity boosting vitamins which works well for me.
I am able to use my cane more but will use my Walker in public situations. Assistive devices are wonderful!
 
Just think- next go round you will have one great hip! I have another one to look forward to as well. Glad you are feeling better!
 
Hey guys was wondering Mederma or Bio oil for my scar?
Thanks
Tra2419
 
Thanks @Jaycey, I haven’t put anything on it. My doctor suggested I could put Mederma on it if I wanted to, but nothing as of now. :-)
 
Hi everyone,
Getting ready for my surgery on my left hip.
However, I am almost 8 weeks out on my right hip and there is some swelling, right on the side. I am
also having this itching feeling. I was ok and this has popped up in the last couple of days.
I will mention to surgeon when I see them on Thursday but I like to check in with you guys.
Thanks
@Tra2419 :-)
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom