Knee Infection* One Good Leg.

It did bring back memories, but it was a good feeling that she was in control and knew what she wanted. I took directions from her. Putting a classroom together is sort of like nesting and she did a great job. It definitely feel like a full circle, Peggy.
 
@KarriB from another thread, I hope your father is doing well. I know what it's like trying to help in the health crises of a parent while dealing with our own health. Wishing you all the best.
 
@greatlakes , my dad is doing very well, thank you. He is back to mowing his lawn, shopping, running errands, etc. His 2 TKRs and 1 THR haven't slowed him one bit. The THR was about a year ago, we call him our "bionic dad"! Both my parents have arthritis. We did have a scare with my mom this week, but she's ok now. It's no fun watching your parents struggle, but I'm so happy I'm available to help them. We live about 4 miles apart so it's easy to get there quickly. I also have two siblings who step in and share concerns with as well. Luckily while I was struggling, they were well, but you know how it is to worry about them worrying about you.
 
You are amazing.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Thank you all! My dad (85) really is very independent and does things for my mother (shopping, laundry) as she needs new knees but at 81 isn't a good health risk. My dad's THR came as a result of his climbing up and down a ladder, then falling off it last November. He was not happy and not himself, because he got caught doing something he promised he wouldn't and it resulted in a serious surgery. Of course, he was worried about my mother while he was recovering. My dad is the only person I've met who says a THR was worse then a TKR. But I reminded him his body had two traumas to heal from, breaking the ball off his femur and the THR. But as soon as I was home from the ER last November I was on hip side of BS!
 
Hi Karri. I'm happy that your mother is ok, nothing too serious. It is sounding like you father has fully recuperated from the hip replacement.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
He is, Peggy, but I wish they'd move to a home with no stairs. They built this house in the late 60s and my dad doesn't want to leave it. He drew the plans and supervised the construction. However, the main bathroom is up stairs and the laundry is in the basement. Even if we moved the laundry they still need to use steps to shower. There are patio homes a mile from my house, but he won't consider it. My mother was transported to the ER Sunday night with chest pain, but all tests came back normal and she was released Monday. We're looking for a cardiologist, but my suspicion is that she had indigestion after eating a lot of party food.
 
So it's my knee's 3rd birthday! Three years ago today I was totally out of it and getting ready to use a bedpan for the first time in my life even though I told the nurses that as a teacher I could hold it for a long time. I was mortified, afraid I'd overflow the pan and have to get out of bed. I also remember apologizing for the size of my backside to the male nurse helping me.

I wasn't on BoneSmart at the time of my TKR and didn't do the walking advised here, but I was teaching at 12 weeks. So now that I'm no longer teaching I've begun walking on treadmill for a short period of time and adding 2 minutes a week. I know walking is the best exercise for our bodies, so I've added it to my biking and swimming. I wouldn't be able to do any of this without my RTKR and I'm hoping I can get in better shape for when I need the left done. But I think I'd like a catheter with my left knee. :yes:
 
@KarriB, I am sorry I missed your birthkneeday! Three years - WOW. Congratulations!

I had to use a bedpan when I had a heart cath once and never again! Urine just runs down fat cheeks...:scaredycat::scaredycat::loll::loll:Then someone has to wipe. Sooooo embarrassing. Yep. I will take a catheter anytime it is offered. Good for you for walking. It helps to keep these knees moving.

I hope it is a long time before you have to do it again.
 
All this talk about bed pans is killing me...LOL, It is bad to begin with but these days they have those thin little plastic ones. My last time in the hospital I was asking for the bedside commode as soon as I could move:)
 
Karri Sorry I missed your three year knee anniversary. Have you considered when you might get the other one done? We can do it together in 2017 if you're game.
 
Marian, I'm not sure when I'll be getting it done. It cannot do steps at all. It does hurt after walking on the treadmill, but right now isn't bad when I wake up, almost pain free. I'm trying to decide if I should do another round of shots before the new year and new deductibles start. I'm really trying to lose some weight before having it done because I know it'll make recovery easier. But it would be "fun" :bawl:to have them done together.
 
@KarriB

Even though I had both of my knees within 11 weeks of each other, and I had a wound complication, I'm still so glad I did the second one. Now I just have to heal and I'll be better than ever. I hope you'll be able to get the second one done soon!!!

Jen
 
Jen, the pain in my left isn't too bad unless I do a lot of walking and since I retired it hurts less. I know it'll need done soon, but I'm hoping to get through the summer and maybe get it done next fall. After the infection and other complications (no white cells) I'm hoping for as normal a recovery as possible.
 
Karri, the treadmill always bothers my knees, I use an elliptical trainer instead---I use one of the weightless ones and no problem.
 
Thanks, Kelly. I liked the treadmill because of the handles, but maybe I should walk less miles on it. I stopped using the treadmill a month or so ago and upped my biking miles from 5 to 10. My left knee likes biking better. I'm also going back to swimming laps as soon as I'm done with the cough crud I've been fighting. All about trying to take off some weight.
 
The weight thing is brutal. With my other knee hurting so much I have been working on trying to take some off weight. I am lucky that I haven't gained much with everything going on. Not being able to exercise doesn't make it easy. I have started to us my recumbent bike by propping the left leg up and working the right. I figure anything helps:)
 
There were a few days I thought about propping up my natural leg, Peggy. I've had a terrible cough crud for the last 9 days and yesterday was the first day I felt good enough to ride. Usually I ride 5 miles in the am and another 5 in the pm both in 27-28 minutes, but yesterday I just did the am ride. Typically I do ok until the 4 mile mark, then I get out of breath, but yesterday it was 1.75 miles when I was breathing heavy! At least it helped me realize the biking is working for me cardio wise.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom